Springfield Armory vs. Colt - 1911

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory vs. Colt - 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sure would like to have my old issued service 1911, but they don't send those home with you when you leave Korea....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory vs. Colt - 1911

I sure would like to have my old issued service 1911, but they don't send those home with you when you leave Korea.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by big gary View Post
    i do not like the 2 piece barrels they put in the springfields. they can come apart with lots of shooting.
    Does the Milspec have a 2 piece barrel? I like the "Loaded" model as well.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    colt's QC is in the crapper. not to mention they're way overpriced. much of what you pay for is that little rollmark of the pony....
    I've been hearing that, and it's sad. But there are rumors that they're turning it around. I hope so, because I'm looking at a Lightweight Commander in the future.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Doesn't matter which you buy. By the time you purchase all the custom parts and upgrades that every 1911 owner seems to get, you won't remember what it started out as.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Srpingfield gives you more for your money and great customer service

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Doesn't matter which you buy. By the time you purchase all the custom parts and upgrades that every 1911 owner seems to get, you won't remember what it started out as.
    This is so true for so many 1911s, and so unnecessary.

I know nothing about new Colts but have nothing but good to say about my older Colt .45s. They work and they are trouble-free. When I get around to purchasing another it will be a Colt.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The Springfields have never employed a "Series 80" or Swartz (a' la Kimber) firing pin safety mechanism which can play hob with a crisp trigger. For a basic, classic 1911 I'd give the edge to Springfield over today's Colts. Top it off with their stellar customer service, and you've got a winner.
    My SA Mil-Spec is a Series 80 with a titanium drop safety. Love it, although I'm not sure what everyone's problem is with the Series 80.

great question and should have included this with my original question!

which would be the model to look at from each manufacturer? the trp looks like a beauty as do the xse's.

which one from each company?

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    This would be easier, if you would narrow your choices down to a couple specific models of each. Then we could help you weigh in on the differences of those.

Either one will do; what's your priority?

Cosmetics?

Function?

Customer Service?

I really like the Springfield Loaded and the Operator.

Honestly, I've never considered any of the Colt offerings. The XSE looks nice.

It's your money, can't go wrong with either

Colt QC is not in the crapper They have a great pistol Made in America, only 3 MIM parts , I have never had first problem with a Colt I have several at present . Springer never felt right in my hand Seems they all need a extractor at a few 100 rounds . Colt doesn't they use proper steel
    Colt will hold value better Buy a Colt They know how to build the 1911
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Quote Originally Posted by michael t View Post
    Colt QC is not in the crapper They have a great pistol Made in America, only 3 MIM parts , I have never had first problem with a Colt I have several at present . Springer never felt right in my hand Seems they all need a extractor at a few 100 rounds . Colt doesn't they use proper steel

something tells me you're a colt man.....

Quote Originally Posted by michael t View Post
    You may want to research a little bit more before preaching fanboy messages from a soapbox. There are a fair few horror stories as of late in Colt's Quality Control aspect, and not within the acceptable range in doing so statistically speaking.

Furthermore, I've never heard of a SA 1911 needing a new extractor unless someone did something stupid like loading a bullet into the barrel by hand and slamming the slide over it.

LMC
    Bar-Sto 1911 barrels are two piece and are top of the line. There is nothing wrong with a two piece barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    You may want to research a little bit more before preaching fanboy messages from a soapbox. There are a fair few horror stories as of late in Colt's Quality Control aspect, and not within the acceptable range in doing so statistically speaking.

Furthermore, I've never heard of a SA 1911 needing a new extractor unless someone did something stupid like loading a bullet into the barrel by hand and slamming the slide over it.
    And maybe you're a Springer fanboy? Opinions are like A**es. Everyone has one. I'm also looking at either a colt or spingfield 1911. Yes there have been some issues with colts but you'll find a lemon with just about any manufactuer once in a while. Those that I've heard that got something "out of spec" even if the gun ran flawlessly but had a cosmetic flaw such as the famous off center spring plug hole the issue was resolved quickly from colt and they paid for shipping with a quick turn around. From what I've heard Colt has recently invested several million into new tooling and CNC machinery and the recent colts I've seen have been VERY nice and IMHO the fit was top notch. Springfield glues their extractors rather than pins them and I've heard plenty of stories of them coming loose so YMMV. Like I said plenty of opinions and varied expiriences to go around. BOTH companies have had excellent customer service lately from what I've heard from both sides so I think either one is a decent bet. From what I've handled lately I"m leaning toward a colt. Fit and finish was a step above and just felt better in the hand with a better trigger feel. Get the next guy comparing the same guns and he may feel differently. Shop around, hold and dry-fire both, rack the slide, see what "speaks" to you. Right now I"m 90% sure my next gun will be a Colt Series 70 repo. If a fine springer comes up at the right place I could be swayed, but I"m pretty firmly in the series 70 camp. I've always wanted one so I think I'll hold out until I find the right one. (they're hard to find in my area lately!) Good luck hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    My SA Mil-Spec is a Series 80 with a titanium drop safety. Love it, although I'm not sure what everyone's problem is with the Series 80.
    No, it ain't. Springfield uses a titanium firing pin and a stout firing pin spring, instead of a firing pin safety. It's not at all the same as a Colt's Series 80 firing pin safety, which adds extra parts not featured in the 1911 design.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Just for the record, I happen to be a HUGE Colt fan and have been for years. But I'm also fair. I've been hearing some disturbing things about their quality control over the last year or so; misaligned slides, etc...

I hopefully have a Lightweight Commander in my future, but before that happens I'll check the gun out the best that I can, not being a gunsmith. As of right now, I probably wouldn't order one sight unseen.

But I've also heard that Colt has been improving and I know first hand that their customer service is second to none.

So time will tell.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links