Second strike

This is a discussion on Second strike within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was trained to Tap, rack, bang and later in my career they changed it to tap, rack, re-assess. It is a good thing that ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second strike

I was trained to Tap, rack, bang and later in my career they changed it to tap, rack, re-assess.

It is a good thing that they make snap caps so that I can practice malfunction drills, because my Glocks run flawless w/ live ammo.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

People who train to TRB as an immediate action may not find it useful in a self defense situation.

But I suspect there are many, many people who own guns and haven't had any training - perhaps they just keep a semi-auto pistol at home for SD. In an emergency, if they pull the trigger and nothing happens, it seems the normal reaction would be to pull it again, as you would with a revolver. It may fire, it may not.

Practically speaking I agree it's not a big benefit, but it doesn't seem like there's any real downside to it. In fact, I like that fact that on a DA/SA handgun, with no external safety, I can keep my thumb on the rear of the slide, touching the side of the hammer when I reholster.

If anything gets in the way (like a cover garment or drawstring) I can feel the hammer start to move rearward if the trigger is being pressed. Seems like that benefit comes with the second strike capability, unless I'm missing something.

Senior Moderator
    True, but one can do the same thing with the grip safety of an XD. Just put your thumb on the tail or back of the slide to reholster, that releases the grip safety and blocks the trigger.

Similar for a SAO, e.g. 1911, engage the thumb safety and you can release the grip safety as well.

Neither of these guns have a double strike capability.

I'm not understanding how TRB or TRAB might not be helpful in SD?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    True, but one can do the same thing with the grip safety of an XD. Just put your thumb on the tail or back of the slide to reholster, that releases the grip safety and blocks the trigger.

Similar for a SAO, e.g. 1911, engage the thumb safety and you can release the grip safety as well.

Neither of these guns have a double strike capability.

I'm not understanding how TRB or TRAB might not be helpful in SD?
    I just read the first sentence of my post again - not very clear.

I meant that those who are trained on immediate action drills (TRB or TRAB) might not find the second strike capability useful. Sorry.

Senior Moderator
    Ahhhh, I'm with you now - thanks!

is it nice to have ....I guess...is it IMPORTANT for me to have, no. I just rack the slide to get to the next round....I guess if 2 guns were SO close that they were both great guns at the same price and one had it and the other didnt id get the one with it...but I cant think of any time id say that its a "must have" lol.

Thanks for the info. Just had a thought while couch quarterbacking a movie(lol) and was thinking if I was missing out on not having a double strike pistol.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    Quick question that popped up while I was looking at a movie:

How important is second strike capabillity to you? Leo and civilian. Is it a requirement in some departments?
    It isn't important. That is a Taurus gimmick. If it didn't pop on the first round you do a tap-rack-bang and get a new round in place. Odds are if the round didn't go once, it won't go a second try.

Second strike capability is a polished term for "we build a junk gun and hope this gimmick makes you feel better about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    It isn't important. That is a Taurus gimmick. If it didn't pop on the first round you do a tap-rack-bang and get a new round in place. Odds are if the round didn't go once, it won't go a second try.

Second strike capability is a polished term for "we build a junk gun and hope this gimmick makes you feel better about it."

You're taking "second strike" to mean what Taurus markets which isn't what everyone is saying here. What we're discussing is the ability to have the firing pin/striker/whatever hit the primer a second time after a failure to fire.

Regarding the statement about "junk" guns, are you saying it's impossible for a Sig, H&K, Beretta, etc. to ever experience a failure? Also, do you consider the need for a second strike the result of the ammo or the weapon?

I have a SA/DA gun, but always use the TRB method. I recall reading something about this and the writer suggested using TRB because the gun may not have gone into battery or the mag may not have seated.

Plus, I'm a big believer in the K-I-S--S concept.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I don't really see a down side to it.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    You're taking "second strike" to mean what Taurus markets which isn't what everyone is saying here. What we're discussing is the ability to have the firing pin/striker/whatever hit the primer a second time after a failure to fire.

Regarding the statement about "junk" guns, are you saying it's impossible for a Sig, H&K, Beretta, etc. to ever experience a failure? Also, do you consider the need for a second strike the result of the ammo or the weapon?
    I'm not the only one perceiving the discussion to mean just that. Regarding your inference to the other makers, I never said that. Don't reach for things not said. If you want clarification, ask for it. And thirdly, Taurus marketing a "second strike capability" is pure marketing gimmick and is usually a result of a junk gun (read weak mainspring, historically) if it happens to a Taurus. Otherwise my experiences with failure to go bang are from bad primers.

Senior Moderator
    All Sigs, Beretta 92s and PX4s, H&K USP & P2000, some S&W models, Ruger P90s etc. all have second strike capability. I must have missed how this got to be a Taurus thing???

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    All Sigs, Beretta 92s and PX4s, H&K USP & P2000, some S&W models, Ruger P90s etc. all have second strike capability. I must have missed how this got to be a Taurus thing???
    I only pointed it out because they are the only ones who market this need heavily.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    I only pointed it out because they are the only ones who market this need heavily.
    I see. But then doesn't that fall under 'reading into'?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links