Second strike

Second strike

This is a discussion on Second strike within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quick question that popped up while I was looking at a movie: How important is second strike capabillity to you? Leo and civilian. Is it ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second strike

Second strike

Quick question that popped up while I was looking at a movie:

How important is second strike capabillity to you? Leo and civilian. Is it a requirement in some departments?
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I don't think it really matters to me at all. If it doesn't go the first time I think the best response you should train for should be a Tap-Rack-Bang kind of response.

Can't speak for LEOs but most of the local departments use Glocks. One uses USP .45s that have the capability and one allows just about anything and there are a few guys with S&W 3rd gen pistols there.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

JMO, but I think it's overrated. If the round doesn't fire on the first strike, like Supperhouse said, TRB and continue is the better answer. I mean what if the round turns out to be a squib and a round becomes stuck in the chamber, (That has happened to me, BTW) then the pistols down for the count. Best to get rid of the round no matter what the problem was and rack a fresh one. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    in my experience the second strike seldom fires the round....i have owned second strike guns in the past and the reliability of the ammo is the problem...i would go to trb also regardless...i want it out of there and now...

Not important for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    JMO, but I think it's overrated. If the round doesn't fire on the first strike, like Supperhouse said, TRB and continue is the better answer. I mean what if the round turns out to be a squib and a round becomes stuck in the chamber, (That has happened to me, BTW) then the pistols down for the count. Best to get rid of the round no matter what the problem was and rack a fresh one. YMMV

GBK
    100% Correct. You risk putting your gun out of action. Just eject the dud and drive on.

The "second strike" capability is perhaps only useful if the dud just happens to be the very last round of ammo you have.

In reality, it is more of a marketing gimmick put out there by some gun makers to impress folks who are new to shooting and who don't know better.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I don't think it really matters to me at all. If it doesn't go the first time I think the best response you should train for should be a Tap-Rack-Bang kind of response.
    This.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    My favorite gun has it......but that was not a factor in the decision making process. I also agree with TAP, RACK, ASSESS, BANG
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I prefer to have it as a feature rather than not, especially in small pocket guns. In my experience a second strike usually fires the round. Contrary to popular belief, LE and Govt. agencies do in fact train to pull a second time, then clear if needed, and the feature is a reguirement for some purchases.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I prefer to have it as a feature rather than not, especially in small pocket guns. In my experience a second strike usually fires the round. Conrtary to popular belief, LE and Govt. agencies do in fact train to pull a second time, then clear if needed.
    I'm LE, that's the first time I've ever heared about that.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

The only time I've needed a second strike has been for my handloads. Reason is, I didn't seat the primer all the way (happens sometimes) so the first strike seats it, the second fires it. It doesn't happen all that often, but it does happen from time to time and the second strike has worked every time. I wouldn't expect that from commercial ammo so I would TRB it.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The number of misfires I've had in my lifetime are infinitesimal. Maybe two. If a firearm has the capability, that's fine. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it or make it a qualifying requirement for a purchase.

Or the same thought pattern of its importance, how many of us carry a spare battery in our car in case the installed one goes bad.
    It's far too simple to eject the misfired round than to spend hours comtemplating the importance if 2nd strikes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

los
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ... how many of us carry a spare battery in our car in case the installed one goes bad.
    If you're like me, you probably just carry a set of jumper cables.....and a spare tire..

Just saying....
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Senior Moderator
    It's kind of a 50-50 thing. If it works it's faster than a tap-rack; if it doesn't, you just slowed everything down.

I think the bottom line is, the tap-rack has a much higher probability of fixing the problem.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    My favorite gun has it......but that was not a factor in the decision making process. I also agree with TAP, RACK, ASSESS, BANG

True. I understand the change to assess rather than training to just fire the shot. I'm a dinosaur, don't easily adapt to the new terminology.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links