PT709 Slim or RIA compact

This is a discussion on PT709 Slim or RIA compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know these two guns have nothing in common. I have searched and read reviews, got to play with a 709, but never got to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I know these two guns have nothing in common. I have searched and read reviews, got to play with a 709, but never got to handle or even hold a RIA compact. I know this forums is full of Taurus haters, so I am expecting a very lopsided argument towards other guns than Taurus. I have to say, I like the 709, good size for edc, good price, etc. I am a big 1911 fan though. I like the style of, feel of, safety system of, and the ability of customizing the 1911. Unfortunately I cannot find a RIS compact officers locally to even look at, handle, nothing.

Anyway, help me choose for ccw PT709 or RIA compact?

I am not a Glock fan, nor XD or M&P. Taurus haters please keep an open-mind rather than just bashing Taurus.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    I know these two guns have nothing in common. I have searched and read reviews, got to play with a 709, but never got to handle or even hold a RIA compact. I know this forums is full of Taurus haters, so I am expecting a very lopsided argument towards other guns than Taurus. I have to say, I like the 709, good size for edc, good price, etc. I am a big 1911 fan though. I like the style of, feel of, safety system of, and the ability of customizing the 1911. Unfortunately I cannot find a RIS compact officers locally to even look at, handle, nothing.

Anyway, help me choose for ccw PT709 or RIA compact?

I am not a Glock fan, nor XD or M&P. Taurus haters please keep an open-mind rather than just bashing Taurus.
    I personally would look at it like this. If I wanted a .45 and liked the 1911 platform then the RIA would be my choice.

If the most important things to me were weight and a slim form factor I would go with the 709.

I'm a "Taurus Hater" by the way ;)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

los
    The Slim offers a few good features over the RIA. It's much lighter, slimmer and is SA/DA, hence, second strike capable. It comes with adjustable sights and can be internally locked, should the need arise. It also has a loaded chamber indicator.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    The Slim offers a few good features over the RIA. It's much lighter, slimmer and is SA/DA, hence, second strike capable. It comes with adjustable sights and can be internally locked, should the need arise. It also has a loaded chamber indicator.
    I have a 709 and agree with the above. It's very light, thin, accurate, and I've run 1100 rounds throughmine with ZERO malfunctions. My experience has been outstanding. I have the stainless slide model.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have a 709 and agree with the above. It's very light, thin, accurate, and I've run 1100 rounds throughmine with ZERO malfunctions. My experience has been outstanding. I have the stainless slide model.
    The 709 I am looking at is the stainless version as well. Good to hear from someone who already has one. I like all the features of the slim, but am a huge 1911 fan. Second strike is nice but in my opinion, not really necessary, I have no need for an internal lock, loaded indicator is not-needed as I assume its always loaded, especially when carrying, but wow that thing is slim and light and a great price! I found a SS 709 for $330 and the RIA for $412... $475 is my budget.

It seems the 709s are hit and miss as far a functionality goes, although I have read of much more happy 709 users than unhappy. The RIA has very few that I could find online, however it seems heavy.

I am leaning more towards the 709 for convenience, but that RIA, mmmm......

Anyway, this is one of those questions on a forum where there is no clear choice.

los
    What method of carry do you intend to use.?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

RIA 1911 hands down..... Or thumbs up that is....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I guess it just depends..I like the .45 ACP as a SD round more than I like the 9mm..I like the 9mm 2nd best of all the SD calibers so for me its

1. .45 ACP
    2. 9mm
    3. .357 Sig(if it was not so darn much $$)
    4. .40S&W(because the .45 is better and its just as much $$ as the .45 ACP now days)

so if you want to carry a .45 ACP go with the RIA if you want a 9mm go with the Taurus (id just get the Ruger SR9c instead but thats just me :) .

Its more of a caliber thing in your question than it is the gun itself.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    What method of carry do you intend to use.?
    IWB

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Taurus hater checking in. But I won't disrespect your thread with any of that. Since you seem to be a "1911 guy," like myself, I would go with the RIA.

But since you can't find one locally, have you considered other small 1911's, like a Colt Defender or a 3-inch Springfield or Kimber?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    That is like asking should I buy a smart car or a H3 Hummer.... I really don't know how to answer this question. From what I read, both are great guns.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

i'd pick a slingshot over a taurus

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I've never liked the term "hater", alot of people on here don't like/trust Taurus products because of their performance, or lack thereof. The PT709 is a VERY appealing weapon. It looks like its comfortable to shoot, its VERY concealable, and I'm sure you can get it on a good price point. My question is, do you REALLY want to invest in something and trust your life on it when it DOES have such a hit/miss reputation? Do you have the funds to immediately replace the weapon should you purchase one and it be a lemon? Have you looked into the Kel-tec pf9? I'm on my second(only because I sold the first, missed it so much I got another.) Kel-tec .380, and its EXCELLENT. I would highly recommend a Kel-tec to anybody.

RIA-Has a great reputation, I have LEO in the family who swears by his full size RIA. I would purchase a RIA without hesitation.

A quick google search found a size comparison of the Keltec and the RIA Compact:

I carry a PT1911, most of the time. I'm not a Taurus hater, but the RIA is a far superior pistol in a superior platform.

I guarantee that you'll shoot the 1911 better than the 709.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Smile

Of those two choices I would go with the Taurus for it's weight and size. I have three Taurus guns and trust them all (also own Springer 2, FN, CZ, Ruger). I have had to send one back for some work and got it returned in 4 weeks. I thought that the time was very reasonable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links