Difference in round count between Kimbers and Springers

This is a discussion on Difference in round count between Kimbers and Springers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never owned an SA 1911 so this might be a dumb question... Reading Rollo's most recent thread about his choice between the Springer Compact ...

Thread: Difference in round count between Kimbers and Springers

I've never owned an SA 1911 so this might be a dumb question...

Reading Rollo's most recent thread about his choice between the Springer Compact Operator and the Kimber Pro Carry led me to SA's website. I noticed that on what I thought were full size 1911's it listed the mag capacity as 7 rounds...not 8. So I looked at the micro-compact, which I understand to be the officer's frame, and it's round count is 6. Why is that? I thought the full size frame 1911, regardless of manufacturer, gave you an 8 round mag and the officer's frame a 7 round mag.

I own a Kimber Ultra, officer's size frame, and it uses 7 round mags. So if I'm understanding this correctly, Kimber's Ultras, for example, have a height of 4.75" with a 7 round mag. And Springers Micros have a height of 5" with a 6 round mag. Taller with one less round doesn't sound right, which is why I am asking the question.

What am I misunderstanding here?
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Back when life was simpler... the "standard" mag capacity for full-size and Commander-length 1911s was 7 rounds.

A generation ago, Colt brought out the Officer's Model. With its abbreviated grip length, its necessarily shorter magazine had a capacity of 6 rounds.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Nature Abhors a Vacuum, etc... now we have magazines with springs and followers that allow an extra round in the same size "package" as before. Thus there are 8-round mags for the 4" and 5" 1911s, and 7-round mags for the OMs and derivative models that use the short grip.

Some manufacturers choose to provide the higher-capacity mags with their guns, others stick to the standard capacity. Springfield, in particular, stays on the conservative side with their magazines.

Does that help?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Back when life was simpler... the "standard" mag capacity for full-size and Commander-length 1911s was 7 rounds.

A generation ago, Colt brought out the Officer's Model. With its abbreviated grip length, its necessarily shorter magazine had a capacity of 6 rounds.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Nature Abhors a Vacuum, etc... now we have magazines with springs and followers that allow an extra round in the same size "package" as before. Thus there are 8-round mags for the 4" and 5" 1911s, and 7-round mags for the OMs and derivative models that use the short grip.

Some manufacturers choose to provide the higher-capacity mags with their guns, others stick to the standard capacity. Springfield, in particular, stays on the conservative side with their magazines.

Does that help?
    Absolutely...got it.

So I could use my 7 round officer's mags for my Kimber Ultra in a SA Micro Compact?
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    Absolutely...got it.

So I could use my 7 round officer's mags for my Kimber Ultra in a SA Micro Compact?
    Indeed, and you can buy and use aftermarket mags such as Tripp and Wilson mags!

Sponsored Links