Which .380? - Page 2

Which .380?

This is a discussion on Which .380? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry the Sig P230 and would highly recommend it - The Kel Tec I have is the P-32, and is very concealable - but ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which .380?

Hi Jabo2818

I carry the Sig P230 and would highly recommend it - The Kel Tec I have is the P-32, and is very concealable - but Kel Tec's P-3AT .380 is almost the same size - and when I had them side by side, I couldn’t tell them apart - I like the belt clips - helps me CC better - here’s a few pics to let you see the size of the P230.

Good Luck

~Urkslaven~
    Attached Images

Colt Mustang or Government Pocketlite

Walther PPK/S

Browning BDA .380 (best shooter of the bunch - but the biggest also)

go with the kel-tec p3at.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    My stepdad just got a Bersa with some kind of carry melt from the factory.... Pretty neat....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmak
    My stepdad just got a Bersa with some kind of carry melt from the factory.... Pretty neat....
    That would be the new Bersa Thunder .380 Concealed Carry. It is pretty neat. And weighs almost 6 oz. less than the regular Thunder .380.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ray
    I am not sure why anyone would want to carry a .380.. correct me if I am wrong.. but we are basically talking about a 9mm short, right? Why carry a smaller version of a 9mm? Why not just carry a 9mm?
    Not to go back and forth, but the question was "Which .380?", not "Should I get a .380." We all know where that thread goes. We've been there many times and will be there many more. There are/may be better choices for SD rounds, but not with the topic of the thread.

Let's just watch these crazy bananas.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ray
    I am not sure why anyone would want to carry a .380.. correct me if I am wrong.. but we are basically talking about a 9mm short, right? Why carry a smaller version of a 9mm? Why not just carry a 9mm?

I do like the Bersa though.. they are kind of fugly.. but they have a reputaion for going "BANG" when you pull the trigger!!

It's just an odd, and expensive round?! I don't see the sense in owning it...

Raymond

The .380 is a good round for a very concealable piece. It kicks the crap out of the .32 ACP and the .25 ACP. Although it is not my first choice, I wouldn't feel underarmed with it. A .380 in the hand is better than a 12 gauge locked in the closet.

As far as a .380's go, I hear great things about the Bersa. I have heard that PPK's are very finicky about the ammo and are prone to jaming. A friend of my carried a Colt .380, I guess it was the Mustang model??? It was a DAO. I never fired it but I did handle it and it seemed to be a good quality pistol.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I have heard good things of the Bersa.

Have you looked at the Kahr PM9 (9mm) it is about the same size of the Bersa if not a tad smaller and the 9mm is better than the .380 which is basically a mini-me version of the 9mm (then again, ask the guy that is at the receiving end of the gun).

As a mater of fact I had been looking at a small CCW handgun and was almost set in getting the Bersa unti I saw the Kahr PM9.

I have had it for a year and after the inital 200 rounds 'break-in' period it has never failed me and it is quite accurate for a 3"barrel 9mm.
    MY GUN, MY RIGHT!!

I don't mean to offend... I really don't.. I look at this issue from a practical standpoint. I have quite a few 9mm pistols.. so naturally I have invested in a lot of 9mm ammo.. I mean I have 9mm ammo coming out my ear sockets!! I have UMC, Blazer Brass, American Eagle, WWB, Federal Hydra shok, Speer gold dot.. I have a closet full of this ammo!! (None of it for sale.. it's mine!!!)

I just don't see the sense in buying a gun that shoots .380? It's just a short 9mm... and the rounds are so much more expensive. The Bersa seems to be the best platform for the round.. but they make the Bersa in 9mm so why bother getting the .380?

One of the reasons why I find this topic so interesting.. is because SKYY is going to release it's new line of compact pistols in August.. The MPX-9 and the MPX-3... I think.. given my passion for storing so much ammo that the MPX-9 is the better weapon for me... I dunno'.. I just don't see any particular advantage to owning the short 9mm...

Meanwhile.. I need to find out where to buy a bunch of .45 ammo.. I may have to build a new closet.. I don't want to be short of ammo..

Raymond

So people just ignore the title of threads or what? He's just asking which .380 - not what other caliber to get. Either give the guy some suggestions on .380's or don't post.

If you think a Bersa or PPK sized pistol is okay don't rule out one of the Russian Maks in .380 if you find one.
    I got the 9x18 version of a pair that showed up at a local shop. If the .380 version is still there on payday I might grab it as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEd63
    If you think a Bersa or PPK sized pistol is okay don't rule out one of the Russian Maks in .380 if you find one.
    I got the 9x18 version of a pair that showed up at a local shop. If the .380 version is still there on payday I might grab it as well.
    The Russian Maks are nice, but the East German are the best. The Bulgarians are very good also. I have never see one of the Chinese versions. I have a Bulgy .380 and a Russian 9X18. The Russian, East German, Bulgarian and Chinese are real Makarovs. They are all built on the same plan. There are other pistols that fire the Makarov round - 9X18, but they differ from the real Mak pistol. The Hungarian FEG PA63 is one such. A good little pistol, but not a Mak. It just fires the Mak round. The Polish P-64 and Vanad P-83 also fire the Mak round, but are not Mak pistols. There may be others, but these are the one usual mislabel as Hungarian or Polish Makarovs.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Were I going to carry a 380 automatic, it would probably be the Bersa.

Best.

PS: If interested, here are some observations on the Bersa:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/MakarovBersa.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/S...er%20Bersa.htm

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I haven't tried a Bersa or Kel tec, but my better half uses a Sig 232. It is a little more expensive, but not prohibitive, and it is a flawless shooter. You wouldn't go wrong with one.

When I cannot carry my Kahr CW9, my KELTEC P3-AT is in my pocket. Nothing wrong with the KELTEC, just would like a little more "firepower".

Look at the Kahr CW9. It's small, light and has a fair punch with Corbon DPX.

Mark

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links