New Gun Break in Schedule

This is a discussion on New Gun Break in Schedule within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently read that over lubricating a gun during the break-in period helps to polish the parts together. I recently did this with a Kahr ...

Thread: New Gun Break in Schedule

Smile New Gun Break in Schedule

I recently read that over lubricating a gun during the break-in period helps to polish the parts together.
    I recently did this with a Kahr PM40. After the frist 25 rounds it has run without a hic-cup. I've put approximately 250 rounds through it so far. All factory ammo, both 135 JHP and 180 grain flat nose bullets.
    My friend has a Kahr PM 45 that he was about to give up on, tried the over-lubrication program and now it has run 50 to 75 rounds (reloads) without any problems.
    Make sure it's empty (chamber, mag out), strip the gun down, clean it (I also use a toothbrush and a Bore Snake), over lube the rails, the recoil spring, the outside of the barrel, the chamber shroud (top and sides of the chamber shroud that contacts the slide) and the firing pin spring. All part that move and touch another part.
    I use Tetra Gel and continue to rub it on these parts about every 25 rounds. Don't forget to run the Bore Snake or a patch thru the barrel every 25 rounds.
    The gun was actualy oily in my hands, just hang on tight until it gets reliable, then clean it good and re-lube in the normal manner.
    It worked for me.
    Last edited by Ciprianski; July 5th, 2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

2. Remove Ads

I had the same ritual for my PM9 and P380. I cleaned the gun well with Gunzilla and used Mil-Tec1 grease on the rails. I racked the gun about 100 times and then took them to the range. I didn't have to clean them during the initial session.

I tend to keep my guns on the wet side, but I wouldn't consider them over-lubricated. None have required a break-in period, per se, but the period is more for me to gain confidence/familiarity with the weapon. I've never done a clean, lube and rack-a-bunch-of-times for initial break-in either. None of my weapons have ever needed it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My Glock didn't need all that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    +1....but its good that somebody is offering new ideas.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    - My Glock 27 and 19 didn't either, but there's no way I was going to go by their reputation. I cleaned them and ran a few hundred rounds through it like any other gun I've purchased. It's not like every Glock is perfect out of the box... especially given some of the reports on Gen4.

Remember, the all important first shots of an "unfired" new gun were done at the factory, probably without any voodoo rituals. Have you ever seen a new Kimber? Absolutely filthy.

I was told that the glocks come with a factory break in lube on the guns that they do not want you to clean off before you shoot them a couple hundred rounds, stuff looks like a copper paste to me. Was on all three I have.

Quote Originally Posted by big gary View Post
    I was told that the glocks come with a factory break in lube on the guns that they do not want you to clean off before you shoot them a couple hundred rounds, stuff looks like a copper paste to me. Was on all three I have.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear in my break in for Glocks. I cleaned the rest of the gun and barrel, but I left the copper paste on the rails.

Links