Sig GSR 1911 - General and Range Review

This is a discussion on Sig GSR 1911 - General and Range Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I took my new Sig GSR for some range time. Let me start off by saying I was a bit leary about shooting the ...

Thread: Sig GSR 1911 - General and Range Review

Sig GSR 1911 - General and Range Review

Today I took my new Sig GSR for some range time. Let me start off by saying I was a bit leary about shooting the GSR in light of the many reviews concerning the problems they have had in the past and even some current production ones.

Ok, with that said, I was very pleased with the fit and finish of the GSR. I have the Stainless with tactical rail. It is nice enough that both of the dealers at the gun shop I had this transfered to drooled over it. One of them didn't want to give it back.

Anyway, it feels natural in my hands, balances very well unloaded (outstanding loaded) and points straight as I bring it up to a firing position. Unlike many of the other handguns I have, which require me to practice quite a bit to get use to. The GSR just naturally aligns it sights for me.

Now, at the range I fired approximately 200 rounds of various ammo through it. About a hundred rounds of cheap, very dirty crap ball ammo and about 100 of JHP TTI Armory ammo. The TTI Armory ammo I knew was clean and accurate from my previous outing shooting it.

I fired from 7, 10 and 15 yards on this trip. The GSR shot better than I did. Heck, with it, I corrected a couple of problems I've been having with palming and jerking. It just points so natural for me that I could definitely feel and see what I was doing wrong. Something that was difficult for me to diagnose and correct previously. Of course, my biggest problem is that I'm not practicing enough.

But, I just hadn't found the right gun to practice with...until now. My other handguns are nice, but the GSR is the most comfortable, balanced and easiest handgun to control I've ever fired. The GSR was very easy to bring out of recoil and reset for the next shot. By the end of the shooting session I was finally consistently hitting the bullseye at all three distances.

There were no FTF or FTE with any of the ammo I had. I brought 2 different kinds of ball ammo (the cheap, dirty stuff), and it just chewed it up and spit it out. Something my other .45's have not done so far. For whatever reason my other .45's have trouble digesting the cheap ball ammo. Of course, the GSR had no problem with the JHP ammo. Even with the thick residue forming all over it, it just kept digesting everything. But, there was only about 200 rounds through it. So, I'd like to see what it does after a few hundred more through it.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that I'm one very happy camper. If it continues to perform like it did today, it will be my go to gun under any circumstances. I can't wait to take it out again. It is outstanding to say the least.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SteveTwo; June 18th, 2006 at 09:25 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I could show you pics of the GSR, but the targets don't stay around for long.

Pic's of the Gun is fine

Ok, a couple of pics of the GSR are now uploaded.

And it was DIRTY before I cleaned it after the range session. The ball ammo was nasty.

good looking gun. what type of sights are on the gun?

The sights are low mount Novaks. I'll be getting those sights on all of my carry guns when I get a chance, if possible. There the easiest sights, so far, for me.

Oh, and I had 4 mags with me, 2 Novaks (that came with the gun) and 2 Wilson Combats, all of them performed great.

I really like the novaks myself my 2 springers have them

Administrator
    The 2 SIG GSR that I have seen "up close & personal" looked great.
    I did get a chance to do a full function check on one plus a field strip & it looked fine. Better than fine as a matter of fact..it was a very nicely fit handgun.
    Congrats on yours. Looks real nice & sounds like a real ammo eating tiger!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Glad it shoots well - it is a very tempting proposition, even for me not being the ultra 1911 type.

Good looking gun - tho I expect cost is well ''up there'' much like my 226 ST was.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sig GSR 1911's will run between $800 and $900 usually. Some dealers will charge more, some less. It depends on who you deal with I guess.

They definitely compete well with the highend Colts, Wilsons, SA's, etc., at least from what I've read. But, the dimensions of the Sig's are a bit larger (at least the slide width), not by much, but a bit.

If you ever get a chance to shoot one, take it. You won't regret it.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Thanks Steve for a great range review. the different slide dimensions kind of turn me off, but I am glad yours ran so well. Are the Novak sights, able to glow at night or low light? That is a real big point with me. would love to see more pics!!!!
    I am glad you are happy with the gun, and I really don't think you will have any trouble with it. Sig would not have released the 1911 line again if they didn't fix the problems. There reputation would not allow that. now make sure you make more time for the range and practice.
    Thanks again for the review, and I hope you find a quality holster for it....say something in brommeland leather?
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

snowdoctor, the sights do not glow. And, I will be practicing a lot more.

Brommeland leather looks to be a good choice.

Lead Moderator
    nice. I know any 1911 seems to fit me right too. No other gun seems to handle as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links