Sig P239 in 357Sig/ Pictures added

This is a discussion on Sig P239 in 357Sig/ Pictures added within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dr_cmg My usual way of doing thing is to buy high and sell low. Thats usually how it works for me too...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig P239 in 357Sig/ Pictures added

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    My usual way of doing thing is to buy high and sell low.
    Thats usually how it works for me too

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Pictures are great, looks like you got one heck of a deal!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Nice score George. Are those Hogue monogrips on your guns? The only thing I really find unsuitable on the 239 (to me) is the flat front strap. Seems the monogrip would remedy that but I've heard they grab cover garments too much for CCW use. What'cha think?

BTW Chris: Is that a wheelgun in your avatar or were you throwing napalm?
    Jack

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Nice score George. Are those Hogue monogrips on your guns? The only thing I really find unsuitable on the 239 (to me) is the flat front strap. Seems the monogrip would remedy that but I've heard they grab cover garments too much for CCW use. What'cha think?
    Jack
    Jack, the grips are the Hogues. I have the same kind on the P239 9mm. I have been carrying it for about 6 weeks and I haven't had the grab my shirt. I wear guayaberas or the sueded flat bottom shirts that Walmart has been selling this summer. I can easily flip the shirt off the pistol and I can draw one handed by sliding my thumb under the edge and lifting until it clears the top of the pistol. In the one handed draw the shirt has to drag across the grips until it clear at the top and it does it fine. If the cobblestone surface had pointed protrusions instead of rounded it would probably grab, but as I said mine have never grabbed.

The set on the 357 have much less wear than the 9mm set, but I just tried them and they don't grab either.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

BTW Chris: Is that a wheelgun in your avatar or were you throwing napalm?
    Jack
    Thats chris showing off again with his 454

Very nice, and a sweet deal too. Chris is turning some more folks here!

Assistant Administrator
    Chris is turning some more folks here!
    Maybe - sometimes LOL!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hey There Dr_CMG,

Glad you like your P239. I have one in 40S&W that I carry a lot and shoot a lot. Love the gun. Utterly reliable and accurate. My only gripe would be that they need to relieve the area behind the triggerguard where it meets the grip. Makes my middle finger sore after extended shooting sessions, no problem for concealed carry though. I also have the Hogue Grips. I like them although I had considered getting some fancy wood grips.
    Safe Shooting and God Bless!
    USAF Retired

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Very nice. I am a big .357SIG fan. Wish it was available when I was wearing a badge (carried a .357 Magnum S&W back then). I carry a P229 DA/SA in .357SIG now, but am hoping to pick up a similarly chambered P239 in the near future. In my book you can't do better than a SIG.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

...Seems the monogrip would remedy that but I've heard they grab cover garments too much for CCW use. What'cha think?...
    I have the monogrip on my 226, and find that whether or not it grabs depends mostly on the shirt material. Thin, synthetics tend to grab where heavier cotton or cotton blends do not seem to. YMMV.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Thats chris showing off again with his 454
    One of these days I'll let him show off with my 4" .475 Linebaugh BCA Redhawk. You wanna see some flame?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

VIP Member

More range time

Yesterday went out with the intent to put 200 rounds through the new Sig. Only got to fire 50 before the rains came. Of course we left and the rain stopped 10 minutes later. Went back this afternoon and put another 60 or so through.

While still shooting to the left it appears that what was 4" last week is now down to 1.5 to 2". I am also getting used to the SIGLITE night sights. I have gotten to like the standard Sig sights and was very comfortable and quite accurate with the dot the i sight. The night sights are harder for me to align. So the break in seems to be bringing the point of impact closer to my point of aim. My trouble getting used to the sights is mostly an elevation problem. Most of the shots are grouped pretty well except for one here and there that is a couple of inches lower than the others. The pistol still feels tight.

I hope for some cooler weather so that I can shoot some more this week. It is no fun shooting at 100 degrees and no breeze. Fortunately school is out now and my work hours are more like those of people: 8am - 4:30pm. Maybe I can some late afternoon shooting, though last week it was still in the 97-99 range as late as 6pm. Anyway as I run more ammo through the 357Sig I hope that my ability to use the sights and the breaking in of the pistol will get us to the point where point of aim and point of impact are the same. If not when I believe that I have gotten as close as I can I'll get the sights adjusted.

One other thing that I have noticed about the 357Sig is the sound. Having fired .40, 9mm +P, .38 Special +P, .380, 9 X 18 Makarov, and several other handgun loads in the past month or so I find the 357Sig to have a distinctly different sound when fired. I don't know how to describe it except to say that it is a sharper sound. Where we shoot there is a line of woods 200 or so yards away and normally you will hear an occasional echo of a shot, but you hear an echo of every 357Sig shot taken. I don't know whether it is greater velocity or the necked down case that causes the sound difference, but it is obvious the first time you fire a round that this is a different animal.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Nice pics and comparison....ENJOY!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Man I love the 239's. Mine will be a 40cal.

i have a 239 and am qualified to use it with my dept. I like the gun and i also like the glock 19. they weigh the same loaded , sooo i qualified with both of them . its a tough choice. . you done good

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links