Sig P239 in 357Sig/ Pictures added - Page 3

Sig P239 in 357Sig/ Pictures added

This is a discussion on Sig P239 in 357Sig/ Pictures added within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The SAS 239s are sweet. I really like SIGs DAK trigger system. Very smooth....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sig P239 in 357Sig/ Pictures added

The SAS 239s are sweet. I really like SIGs DAK trigger system. Very smooth.

VIP Member
    Put another 100 rounds through the P239 and I am still hitting about 1.5" to the left. My groups are getting better. The last mag I fire this afternoon had 5 holes stacked up like this l. I thought that the pistol was getting broken in. Unfortunately I let my wife shoot 3 mags. The first one she was really checking the difference in the way the Sig recoiled and the way her Bersa did. Sig's recoil is mostly straight back with some muzzle rise. The Bersa's recoil is mostly a counterclockwise twist. We say that most of the rounds from the Sig were in just about the sam position as her Bersa rounds, but did not think much about it.

A few minutes later I handed her the Sig and two magazines. At 25' firing at a cardboard ISPC target like the one in the attachment (except the target was turned with white side out and had no markings on it.) she tore the A out of the target. The A does not show on the white side, but she knows where it is. I think everyone of the 14 rounds touched either each other or the letter A. You could cover them with your hand and have hand left over.

I fired 10 rounds through her Bersa and had a decent group (nothing like hers) but all rounds were to the left of center. I am doing something wrong and I don't know what it is. I have to go back and read my Basic Pistol text again.

Anyway the Sig is still loosing up, but with the right person shooting it, it is very accurate.
    Attached Images
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Exceptional pistol & your report of it...exceptional also.
    You got yourself a very sweet deal on that SIG.
    Congratulations.
    It sure is a nice feeling when you get a fantastic deal on a great shooting pistol.

VIP Member
    Put about 75 rounds through the 357SIG this afternoon. Discovered several things. 1) I am a better shot one handed right handed than when I use two. 2) I am a much better shot left handed one handed than I am right handed one or two handed. 3) I am a better shot left handed two handed than left handed one handed.
    When I really work at shooting left handed I am better. It takes work because handling the pistol left handed is not natural to me, especially two handed. My left eye is my dominant eye so it is reasonable that I might shoot better left handed, but I did not expect the difference to be so great.

Usually when I shoot left handed I will shoot one magazine and then got back to right handed for a while. I have never just decided to shoot left handed for an extended period. I was experimenting today trying to discover why I was still shooting to the left. After a couple of mags right handed two handed I shot two mags one handed. I was pretty consistently right in the middle of the target not to the left. So I decided to shoot one handed left handed and shot two mags that way.

When I shoot right handed I must close my left eye since it is dominant. When I shoot left handed I have both eyes open. One handed left handed I was consistently grouping well in the middle of the target, so I put about 4 mags through left handed two handed. As I shot this way because it requires more concentration I discovered a couple of things I had been doing wrong. I wear glasses and they are line-less bifocals. In order to focus on the front sight I must look right through the center of the lens vertically. Line-less bifocals really have three sight zones. At the top you see well at a distance, at the bottom you see well close up, and in the middle the midrange is clearest. Computer screens, speedometers, and front sights are clearest when seen through the middle. Shooting left handed I have no problem focusing through the middle because I have to check everything since it is not natural. Right handed I tend to let my chin drop and start to try to focus through the top of the glasses. As a result I am really focusing on the target not the front sight. One handed the sight is farther away and the difference in focusing is not as great. In fact one handed either the top of the glasses or the middle does a pretty good job of allowing me to focus on the front sight.

So now I need to retrain myself to focus on the front sight through the middle of the glasses while firing right handed using two hands.

The pistol is breaking in well and I am learning more about shooting too.

One other thing I discovered today is that I can easily put 14 rounds in the A zone of a ISPC cardboard target from 25' double tapping. Every couple of weeks I do some shooting starting with the pistol by my side. I start with the pistol by my side and as I bring my right hand up and the left hand comes to meet it, I fire at the target as soon as my hands come together at the natural point of aim. I immediately pull the trigger a second time. I can put two rounds almost on top of each other right in COM consistently. Since the 357SIG mag only holds 7 I make a mag change between rounds 7 and 8. I don't take the pistol back to my side, I simply drop the mag, insert the new on and release the slide. My left hand is back where it belongs and I shoot the 8th round at the target. I discovered today that this is my worst pair, but that even round 8 is in the A zone and not far from round 7.

This is going to be my last post about the 357SIG and my breaking it in. I some amazing new discovery comes along I'll start a new thread.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I just ordered Hogue Grips for the wifes P239 today from CDNN... I'm excited for her... Hope she likes them... She really want's the Crimson trace ones... But they are a bit expensive for now... Nice pics dr_cmg...!
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTLO910
    I just ordered Hogue Grips for the wifes P239 today from CDNN... I'm excited for her... Hope she likes them... She really want's the Crimson trace ones... But they are a bit expensive for now... Nice pics dr_cmg...!
    I have Hogues on both my P239s. My wife loves them and wants a pair for her Bersa 9mm. Unfortunately they don't make them. Maybe they will later. I keep recommending the Bersa and hopefully everyone who buys one will email Hogue asking for grips. Hogue would be foolish not to make grips for the Bersa with hundreds of requests coming in for them.

Thanks for the compliment on the pics. I am still working to improve my photography. I have to go clean out a closet at the college library and get the light umbrella that they told me I could have. That should help a great deal with the glare.
    George

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links