Sig P239 in 357Sig/ Pictures added

This is a discussion on Sig P239 in 357Sig/ Pictures added within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Couldn't wait until tomorrow and making pictures to post this. First of all this is not a full range report because Wally World only had ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig P239 in 357Sig/ Pictures added

VIP Member

Couldn't wait until tomorrow and making pictures to post this. First of all this is not a full range report because Wally World only had one 50 rd box of 357Sig. The gunshow where I bought the pistol was very small and there was practically no ammo. I found one box of Pow'r Ball and bought it. It looks like I will have to order some so I can finish qualifying this pistol.

One of the things I discovered last night as I cleaned and prepared the pistol for today was that the second mag was still sealed in the plastic bag. The first mag had practically no wear on it. The follower showed not brass line on the surface. In fact the only real wear on the pistol was where the finish was rubbed of the barrel. You usually see the finish rubbed of the sides of the hood of the barrel, but this pistol had almost no wear there. The bolt face and firing pin showed little wear. I have come to the conclusion base on firing 50 rounds today that this pistol had less than 20 rounds fired through it before I bought it. Most of the finish wear on the barrel appears to be from manually cycling the pistol. After firing 50 rounds there is now some wear on the hood of the barrel and around the .357 SIG stamped into its surface.

Now as to how it shoots. 50 rounds no FTE not FTF. When I get some more ammo I'll run a hundred or so through pretty quickly. The pistol still feels a little tight like it is not really broken in. The sights are a little off. The pistol fires consistently about 4 inches to the left. I had my wife fire one mag to confirm that it was the pistol not the shooter. I am looking forward to getting more ammo and really putting it through its paces. Over all I think that I can safely say I walked away with a great bargain. The box still has the price the original shop was asking for this pistol and it is $629. I bought it yesterday for $475 plus tax.

Tomorrow afternoon I will do pictures.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Good Deal Wanna buy a 229 SAS..lol

I liked the 357 sig Round

Good purchase, Dr, and nice report. Sounds like a keeper so far!

VIP Member
    Hey, Bud, sorry but I am at work tonight. I can post using our internet connection, but they would frown on me setting up my photo equipment and taking pictures of pistols in the college library. I work tomorrow morning, but am off all afternoon. So after lunch I will get my camera and lights setup and take pictures galore.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    .....ok...so we'll forgive you....for now....slacker!

USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    Look fwd to pics George but glad you like the gun. Sounds altogether a stellar deal you got and no doubt more use will free things up nicely.

IMO SIG's do benefit from quite a significant break-in period.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Look fwd to pics George but glad you like the gun. Sounds altogether a stellar deal you got and no doubt more use will free things up nicely.

IMO SIG's do benefit from quite a significant break-in period.
    Chris, when I saw the price the dealer had on this pistol I could not believe it. After I handled it I thought he had made a mistake. If he did he stood by his price. Leah was enroute home from Georgia and I had already spent most of my cash on her pistol, but I asked if he would take a deposit and I would pay it off in July. He and his wife are going to Europe in July and he would not be at the show in Birmingham nor at the Beretta Range Day the week after. He asked if I could come up after he got back to pay it off and I said yes. When Leah called to report that she was passing through Montgomery, we came to an agreement that I could move some money from savings to cover the gun yesterday and so I was able to get it then. I did have to agree not to go to the Birmingham show on July 8 in order to move the money. No big deal, after getting this pistol I don't need to go anyway.

I really could not believe that the pistol was there when I saw it. I have been to all the tables looking for a RAMI and getting prices on the Bersa, I had sold the Kel-Tec, and had gone back to the dealer I knew would give me the best price on the Bersa and had bought it. I then just went looking - especially at Sigs. And there it was. If the guy had not taken what I offered as the deposit, I would have given him more. I did have some more funds in my pocket, but he is a friend of the dealer where I bought the Bersa and knew I would come get the pistol. Later when I asked if he would take a check and if he would I would pay off the pistol then he seem very pleased. But maybe it was just a reflection of how I felt - and still do.
    George

Assistant Administrator
    What's the expression George? - ''the luck of the Irish'' - or something

Very pleased for you - I have little doubt even tho not myself seeking a .357 cal SIG - I could well have done a snap up of that deal - just ''because''
    Chris - P95

Sounds like a great deal. A friend of mine on the Richmond PD uses a P239 as a BUG for his 226 (he didn't go with the SigPro). He said his smoothed out after about 400 rounds, and that his was off to the left when he got it, too.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member

Here Are the Pictures

Close up to show how little wear there is on the side of the hood of the barrel.

P239s 357SIG on top 9mm on bottom. Compare the wear shown on the side of the hood on the 9mm with the wear shown on the 357SIG in the picture above. I have fired 50 rounds through the 357SIG. When I got it there was much less wear than the little bit that is there now. That's one of the reasons I believe that this pistol had fired less than 20 rounds prior to my buying it.

357 top 9mm bottom Notice the difference in wear.

Sights. 9mm on left with standard Sig sights. 357SIG on right with SIGLITE® Night Sights

I hope to finish the breakin and testing this weekend. This morning order 500 rounds from Sportsmans Guide. I hope it will be here by Friday.
    George

Very nice glad ya like um

Excellent pics and nice find!

Assistant Administrator
    Great pics George - and certainly regarding your comments on wear - seems very likely the .357 was fired for a coupla mag's and then that owner felt (maybe), it was too potent for him/her.

Their loss - your gain
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Great pics George - and certainly regarding your comments on wear - seems very likely the .357 was fired for a coupla mag's and then that owner felt (maybe), it was too potent for him/her.

Their loss - your gain
    Chris, it is usually the other way around. I walked in with a Kel-Tec P11 that had been fire for less than 3 mags. It was either 17 or 18 rounds. And walked out with a real pistol that probably had about the same number through it. My usual way of doing thing is to buy high and sell low. The change is refreshing.
    George

Sweet.

I've thought about upgrading from a Sig 239-9mm to the 357 Sig. I almost always buy used guns, so I've got my eyes open for one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links