How do you C/C a K frame revolver? - Page 2

How do you C/C a K frame revolver?

This is a discussion on How do you C/C a K frame revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Try using a IWB holster would be the best start. Also forget the Hollywood method of just sticking it down your pants. Most of those ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you C/C a K frame revolver?

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Try using a IWB holster would be the best start. Also forget the Hollywood method of just sticking it down your pants. Most of those scenes show it done around the front side of the body where the important stuff is. Remember the Hollywoood clowns' guns shoot blanks if they even shoot at all. Another thing, don't be afraid to ask questions. We've all been there at some time. We may rib someone a bit from time to time but is all in good fun, no insults intended. Each of us have been ribbed at least once. It's sort of a welcome to the group thing.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I purchased a stainless Taurus 617, 7-shot .357 revolver and K-frame knock off. I have since also purchased 2-IWB and 1-OWB holster for it. and none of them conceal well or are completely comfortable. The gun is simply too heavy and too thick for me. It shoots fine and has been completely reliable, which is why I keep coming back to revolvers. I was ready to get a S&W Night Guard, 8 shot .357 when I heard they were having issues with the scandium frame cracking.
    Now I'm back to my S&W titanium 342 in a Smart Carry. I forget I've got it on.

"Or in this one that I've had for about 30 years or so. The holster and belt are both Smith and Wesson. Long out of production."

I'm envious CajunBass. I've carried my favorite 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson of those same holsters for 35 years but my holster finally croaked. It has been my hunting/field holster since it was new but now the retaining strap has broken and the holster is so loose I don't trust it for hiking and hunting use.

Here it was a couple of duck seasons ago. It was sad then.

I've also had this sturdy but comfortable Buchemeir Federal Man holster for about the same length of time. The 4-inch revolver rides high and hides easily under suit coats or even short jackets. The Federal Man was a really great holster design from an old line holster maker who provided lots of leather to lawmen but Buchemeir is now gone.

Since the old Smith & Wesson holster finally gave up the ghost, the Federal Man has been pulling duty as my field holster since first of the year. I need to get another field holster. Here's how it rides.

I also have a English made IWB holster that sees a lot of use this time of year but don't have a photo of it. The brand is Holster's Unlimited. It is thick, overbuilt, and sturdy. Not tremendously comfortable but I still use it. I need to pay attention to this thread to find a suitable replacement. I like IWB here in Texas.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sourdough PancakeThe Sourdough Pancake™
    The Sourdough Pancake™ is made from 8-10 oz. steer shoulder. This rugged field or concealment holster is tightly molded to gun, it does not require a thumb strap for retention. The gun is positioned so that the back of the trigger guard is exposed, while the trigger remains covered, ensuring a good grip every time you reach for your pistol. The Sourdough Pancake comes standard with 3 belt slots. These give you the option of multiple positions of carry.

(THIS IS THE HOLSTER FOR THE JUDGE)
    Available for most medium & large frame 1.7/8 to 12" revolvers; The Judge, S&W K, L, N , X frames, GP100, Redhawk Alaskan etc. This is our most popular and versatile holster. We make it in a variety of barrel lengths to fit your pistol.. This design securely holds the revolver with the opposing tension of the off set belt loops and the hand molding of the holster to the revolver's contours. This is the holster that Rob carries his pistols in while hunting and fishing here in Alaska. 3 belt slots are standard to allow for varied angles of carry.

For deeper concealment & quick on off convenience, get the bolt on Inside The Waistband Straps. This allows you to tuck the holster inside your waistband securely.

I do not offer the hammer strap straps on hammerless guns like the Ruger LCR, Taurus Public Defender, S&W M-37 M-40 (and the other hammerless guns). The holster will retain your gun without the strap.

Read more here and here

Please indicate Right or Left Handed with your Gun Model.

The Sourdough Pancake™

$60.00
    Your Gun Model & Barrel Length:

Right or Left Hand:
    Inside The Waistband Straps - Pair

$15.00
    Removable Hammer Strap

$15.00
    Barrels over 6 1/2"

$10.00
    Border Stamping
    $5.00
    Basket Weave
    $25.00
    Fish Scale Embossing
    $25.00
    Full Coverage Floral Carving
    $60.00
    Celtic Knot
    $60.00
    Leather gun holster, concealed carry holster - Simply Rugged Holsters? - Proudly made in the USA

I love mine

I carry my 10-5 4" in a sourdough by Simply Rugged and have concealed it wearing only a loose fitting t-shirt...and I am short and lets say..chubby...have a simply rugged ordered for my Charter arms Bulldog too...

Had a beautiful 3" RB Model 64 that I carried before the switch to Glocks. It was my on and off-duty. I carried strongside(right in my case)hip. Great gun...I miss it dearly
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I carry a smith mod 66-1 2.5" barrel IWB often, have it on right now. I can conceal a 4" L frame in the same manner, just isn't the most comfortable. The right holster and belt will make all the difference.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    I carry my 10-5 4" in a sourdough by Simply Rugged and have concealed it wearing only a loose fitting t-shirt...and I am short and lets say..chubby...have a simply rugged ordered for my Charter arms Bulldog too...
    +1 on the Sourdough Simply Rugged. I have 3 of them for 3 different K Frame S&Ws in 3 different barrel lengths. Good holsters for town or country. Reasonably priced with a 3 week usual turnaround time.

I love my model 13 4". Although I prefer appendix carry generally not so with the k frame. I find in the 4 o clock posistion with a little forward cant its money. I carry in a modified kydex IWB holster. I plan to check out a SR soon.

I bought a Simply Rugged holster about two years ago for my 4" HB M10 after reading all of the great reviews. I purchased the holster for field use not C/C use. You just can't beat they're prices or turn around time. I might get flamed for this or maybe I'm being to nit picky but here is my personal assesment anyway. There is no doubt that if one had to C/C a 4" S&W K frame a pancake holster is the way to go, as a plus you can get the inside out straps for $10 more and have a IWB holster too.

I'm built like a bean pole though and I found that when I tighten my belt the top of the holster closes shut darn near making holstering of the revolver next to impossible.. I tried loosening my belt enough to over come this but then it would sag and was just uncomfortable. The other issue I have is that the holster really sucks the butt of the revolver into my side making it difficult to get a good initial grasp on the revolver. Lastly as I said earlier I purchased this holster for field use as that is what I use my M10 for anyway. I only used the holster but a few times and I noticed that I was already seeing holster wear.

Now don't get me wrong here I understand that you are going to see holster wear when using a blued gun in a leather holster. But holy smokes I didn't think that I would start seeing it after the 10th use or so. Since I noticed the premature wear I stopped using the holster and bought a Bianchi 7001 Accu-Mold which works darn well for field use and it only cost me $35.

But now I see that Simply Rugged has added a new holster to their line called the Range Master and like the rest of their products it is priced right. I really wish that this holster was in their line up a long time ago as it is exactly what I was looking for from the start. Anyway that is my experience with the Simply Rugged Sour Dough holster.

Quote Originally Posted by 336A View Post
    I bought a Simply Rugged holster about two years ago for my 4" HB M10 after reading all of the great reviews. I purchased the holster for field use not C/C use. You just can't beat they're prices or turn around time. I might get flamed for this or maybe I'm being to nit picky but here is my personal assesment anyway. There is no doubt that if one had to C/C a 4" S&W K frame a pancake holster is the way to go, as a plus you can get the inside out straps for $10 more and have a IWB holster too.

I'm built like a bean pole though and I found that when I tighten my belt the top of the holster closes shut darn near making holstering of the revolver next to impossible.. I tried loosening my belt enough to over come this but then it would sag and was just uncomfortable. The other issue I have is that the holster really sucks the butt of the revolver into my side making it difficult to get a good initial grasp on the revolver. Lastly as I said earlier I purchased this holster for field use as that is what I use my M10 for anyway. I only used the holster but a few times and I noticed that I was already seeing holster wear.

Now don't get me wrong here I understand that you are going to see holster wear when using a blued gun in a leather holster. But holy smokes I didn't think that I would start seeing it after the 10th use or so. Since I noticed the premature wear I stopped using the holster and bought a Bianchi 7001 Accu-Mold which works darn well for field use and it only cost me $35.

But now I see that Simply Rugged has added a new holster to their line called the Range Master and like the rest of their products it is priced right. I really wish that this holster was in their line up a long time ago as it is exactly what I was looking for from the start. Anyway that is my experience with the Simply Rugged Sour Dough holster.
    If you are not liking your Simply Rugged holster a FIST holster might be more satisfactory for you. I like the #12 for revolvers.
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/12.htm

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    Or in this one that I've had for about 30 years or so. The holster and belt are both Smith and Wesson. Long out of production.
    I'm pretty sure that Gould & Goodrich made the holsters marketed by S&W. Might check with them to see what their current offerings are.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

i use a fist #20 iwb:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links