How do you C/C a K frame revolver?

This is a discussion on How do you C/C a K frame revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking of adding a K frame revolver in 4 inch for carry. Mostly I carry in evening walking the dog, walking to grocery store....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you C/C a K frame revolver?

How do you C/C a K frame revolver?

Thinking of adding a K frame revolver in 4 inch for carry.

Mostly I carry in evening walking the dog, walking to grocery store.

2. Remove Ads

So this would be a second gun/BUG?

Edited my OP

Mostly I have carried a much easier to conceal snubnose Taurus 85 or S+W 442, but don't shoot them at the same level as a 4 inch K frame.

I love the K (and L?) frame 4 inch revolvers and and shoot them wonderfully.

Would like to make them my primary carry option.

Mostly carry while walking late afternoon, evenings, in a safe neighborhood, near grocery store (my only real printing/concealment concerns).

Would like to expand that to EDC.

IWB holster at 4 o'clock will probably work best. It's a comfortable, slid position and also has good retention.

A quality holster would help too.

It's good to know I'm not the only one that carries a K-Frame. I carry my 2.5" Model 19 on a regular basis.

For a 4" barrel you could go with a good quality IWB or wear long untucked shirts. I think some holster makers have "high" holsters designed to carry the gun a little higher up than by default. This makes them a little easier to conceal OWB. I sometimes carry a XD45 Service OWB with a long polo shirt. It's not a revolver but is probably about the same size.

- Spike

I often carry a 4" K Frame S&W. I prefer OWB carry using a pancake type holster and a good belt. My gun is concealed by a cover shirt or in winter a jacket or vest. I do not like inside the waistband carry for revolvers. The K Frame is easy enough to conceal and comfortable enough to carry in my opinion and there is nothing I shoot better with than a 4" K frame revolver.

I carried an N frame 27- 3-1/2" for years, now a GP100 3" or a 92FS. All can be concealed iwb or owb with good holsters that pull the weapon in tight and proper attention to dress mode.

K Frame

A good strong side hip works well for me, either in a Kramer or Dillons Press Holster. Hugs in nice and tight to body with good retension. Or try and get a good vertical shoulder holster and nice loose button down shirt or vest. Might even try a cross draw holster. Don't forget the good belt.

I use one of my The Slides for my 66-1 2.5" and carries great all day. I have made a few IWB Double Snaps for customers 19/66 4" in addition to The Slides OWBs.

I love K-frames.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Check out simply rugged. I have a pancake holster from them for my 357. I had them add there belt loops that allow this to be worn inner or outer waist band.

Highly pleased with there work and the turn around time

In one of these. # 6410 to be specific. (They don't picture the one for a revolver, sorry.) As a matter of fact I've got one for my Sigma, also. Good product, good price, good service.

MASTER'S Leather PANCAKE Holster - Open Top

Or in this one that I've had for about 30 years or so. The holster and belt are both Smith and Wesson. Long out of production.

For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Use 2.5 inch K frame

I often carry a S&W model 66-3 with 2.5 inch barrel in a pancake holster on my strong side. The curved lines of the gun allow it to conceal very well with the right cant angle, and I use Badger boot grips to keep the grips as short as possible. Although it only holds 6 rounds, it is completely reliable, I shoot it quite well, and I believe the imposing appearance of a stainless K frame revolver may discourage attackers without having to fire.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have a S&W model 10-8 (4" heavy barrel) that I sometimes carry concealed. I use an old Bianchi model 7 holster (pancake style) for it. The gun and holster are 20+ years old. In the Summer I don't worry about concealed carry since Virginia is an open carry state as well. For a while now though I carry a 4" Colt Python. The frame size is almost identical to the S&W L-frame. I carry both of these (Colt Python or my 686) in another old Bianchi model 7 holster. During the late Fall or early Winter a bomber style jacket works perfectly with both of these holsters.

Am I doing the IWB thing wrong?

I read that there are some here who can get away with a 4" K frame IWB, but I tried with my 65-4 just tucked into the waist band for a few minutes and was glad it wasn't loaded at the time. Some very important things were getting poked by my gun when I sat down .

I must be doing this wrong. I'm also interested in carrying a 4" K frame concealed once I get my permit. Is there a better test for whether IWB is a possibility than what I did? I also notice no one here is recommending ITP.

Normally I'd start another thread, but this seems related.

Quote Originally Posted by SComplicated View Post
    Am I doing the IWB thing wrong?

I read that there are some here who can get away with a 4" K frame IWB, but I tried with my 65-4 just tucked into the waist band for a few minutes and was glad it wasn't loaded at the time. Some very important things were getting poked by my gun when I sat down .

I must be doing this wrong. I'm also interested in carrying a 4" K frame concealed once I get my permit. Is there a better test for whether IWB is a possibility than what I did? I also notice no one here is recommending ITP.

Normally I'd start another thread, but this seems related.
    There is no way a 4" K frame is going to feel comfortable tucked into your waistband especially in the appendix posistion. You need a good quality belt and holster. The 4 o'clock posistion just behind the right hip worked best for me when I carried a 4" revolver. I now carry a Glock 23 in a HighNoon Public Secret IWB holster with HighNoon belt in the appendix posistion. You are going to have to experiment for yourself trying several types of holsters from IWB to OWB. Good Luck !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links