Do it yourself 1911 mods

Do it yourself 1911 mods

This is a discussion on Do it yourself 1911 mods within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that there are a ton of mods that you can have done/do to 1911's but I am a bit of a 1911 newbie. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do it yourself 1911 mods

Do it yourself 1911 mods

I know that there are a ton of mods that you can have done/do to 1911's but I am a bit of a 1911 newbie. I have a plain jane colt 1991-A1 that the only think I have done to it is change the grips and buy a couple Mccormick power mags. I was wondering if anyone has a link to some common 1911 mods that are "do it your self" types that don't involve having to have a PhD i n 1911ism.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

google "1911 tutorials". they're easy to find

sent you a message Rollo

Combat hammer and trigger.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

jyo
    Just so you know, EVERY AD I have seen happened with a "home gunsmithed" 1911 pistol---if you are not good with tools or have any question about your skills, please take it to a proper gunsmith---the limb/life you save could be your own!

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    ...I know that there are a ton of mods that you can have done/do to 1911's but I am a bit of a 1911 newbie.
    To modify/customize a 1911, is to know it, and know it well.

I highly recommend that you find, purchase, study and memorize the publication referenced below, before undertaking any modifications to your 1911. It's considered by most as the Bible of 1911 Manuals. If you can't locate one, let me know and I'll gladly send you mine that I purchased 25 years ago.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

About the only thing a (functioning) 1911 type pistol needs is decent sights and a basic trigger job.

Decent sights are fixed but higher visibility than the standard GI sights. I think many current pistols have pretty fair sights, but I'm reverting to the older GI and Colt Government Models.

Basic trigger job means the trigger pull is crisp and no more than about five pounds. For target work, that can go down a little, but a basic working and plinking gun need not be ultra light. Trigger work can be iffy if the mechanic does not understand the problem. It's not a 'do-it-yourself' first project.

Nice looking grips are always welcome, but they are more cosmetic than functional in most cases.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Without specific tutoring, the amateur gunsmith should never attempt mods to trigger, safeties or critical functional elements (like the disconnector) on a 1911 used for personal defense. I'm not saying that 1911 work is rocket science, but "drop in" parts like barrels, sears, hammers and safeties realistically need to be fitted to the individual gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Archie is on the money. Good trigger,good sights and........quality mags. Keep It Simple and have a pro do it! Good Luck!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Without specific tutoring, the amateur gunsmith should never attempt mods to trigger, safeties or critical functional elements (like the disconnector) on a 1911 used for personal defense. I'm not saying that 1911 work is rocket science, but "drop in" parts like barrels, sears, hammers and safeties realistically need to be fitted to the individual gun.

i disagree. the internet offers many in depth and detailed walk throughs on 1911 smithing.

most disconnectors are drop in. thumb safeties are easy to fit--you just have to go slow and check fit, triggers are one the easiest parts to fit--simply use 2,000 grit sand paper on each end of the shoe equally, etc....

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    i disagree. the internet offers many in depth and detailed walk throughs on 1911 smithing.

most disconnectors are drop in. thumb safeties are easy to fit--you just have to go slow and check fit, triggers are one the easiest parts to fit--simply use 2,000 grit sand paper on each end of the shoe equally, etc....
    Don,
    All due respect, but I've built about eight 1911s from scratch and I consider the thumb safeties one of the most critical fitting parts. Been a while since I did this but as I recall we're talking about limiting sear (via the thumb safety) movement to less than .020". I couldn't consider fitting a thumb safety an 'easy' chore.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I know that there are a ton of mods that you can have done/do to 1911's but I am a bit of a 1911 newbie. I have a plain jane colt 1991-A1 that the only think I have done to it is change the grips and buy a couple Mccormick power mags. I was wondering if anyone has a link to some common 1911 mods that are "do it your self" types that don't involve having to have a PhD i n 1911ism.
    Shoot the Colt a bunch, then shoot it some more, you may find the pistol needs nothing, change for the sake of change isn't normally a good idea.

Listen to Tangle, people that really know the 1911, know there are seldom any true drop in parts (that fit as perfectly as they should).

"... We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes."
    ~Col. Jeff Cooper
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Shoot the Colt a bunch, then shoot it some more, you may find the pistol needs nothing, change for the sake of change isn't normally a good idea.

Listen to Tangle, people that really know the 1911, know there are seldom any true drop in parts (that fit as perfectly as they should).
    Guess I never really thought about it like this. To be honest your right. I think.. I've been shooting the colt for about 3 years now and it's not so much that I think it NEEDS anything else. It shoots fine. I guess I find myself wondering if it could shoot better.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Administrator
    Hummm...agree with OD, Tangle & others above.

That having been said there are some drop in parts that will just drop in.

The combination mainspring housing and flared mag well is a drop in.
    Titanium mainspring cap.
    Titanium hammer strut.
    Ed Brown slide stop/release always seems to just drop in.
    You can swap out all of the pins for a pin upgrade of precision machined drill rod.
    A machined Heavy Duty firing pin will drop in as will a forged/machined firing pin stop. (may possibly need minor really simple fitting.)

That's about it.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Hummm...agree with OD, Tangle & others above.

That having been said there are some drop in parts that will just drop in.

The combination mainspring housing and flared mag well is a drop in.
    Titanium mainspring cap.
    Titanium hammer strut.
    Ed Brown slide stop/release always seems to just drop in.
    You can swap out all of the pins for a pin upgrade of precision machined drill rod.
    A machined Heavy Duty firing pin will drop in as will a forged/machined firing pin stop. (may possibly need minor really simple fitting.)

That's about it.
    That very true, QK, I guess I should have specified the factory fitted parts are seldom drop in (with the possible exception of pre-fitted parts by C&S, Wilson, EGW etc.).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links