Bersa Thunder 380 or Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Bersa Thunder 380 or Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in a bit of a dilemma..looking for a .380 ~$300 for the quick trips to the store and have it narrowed to these two. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bersa Thunder 380 or Ruger LCP

Bersa Thunder 380 or Ruger LCP

I'm in a bit of a dilemma..looking for a .380 ~$300 for the quick trips to the store and have it narrowed to these two. I know they are different in terms of size and potentially use. But which would you pick? My normal carry is either a Ruger SP101 or Sig P229. Also looking for something lighter on real hot MN days. Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

The LCP wins the lighter and smaller contest. That being said, Bersa does make a good product and you have choices as far as sizes and magazine capacity per different models.

Smile

I chose the LCP due to weight. The Bersa is a nice gun and I still am looking into it for other purposes. I don't think that you will go wrong with either.

I own and carry a Bersa Thunder 380. It's reliable, reasonably accurate and not so small as to be uncomfortable in my hand.

I vote LCP!

Bersa... if you're going to carry something that big, it might as well be a 9mm.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Kelte p3at, the original!

(Or S&W bodyguard with lasersite? Or Kahr 9mm for the size of the Bersa Thunder and some more $)

GM
    I should go for the LCP.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Why the KelTec over the Ruger? I did hold one of those and it felt real crappy. Any ammo suggestions for the LCP? The main reason I'm looking at the Bersa is I could shoot it at the range for "fun"...as in more than 7-10 yds with any efficiency.

A lot of cops carry the Kel tec in .380 as a back-up...

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    Why the KelTec over the Ruger? I did hold one of those and it felt real crappy. Any ammo suggestions for the LCP?
    - IMO, the only real reason to buy a P3AT over a LCP is that the P3AT will handle .380ACP +P rounds like Buffalo Bore. It's a really hot round. The LCP has better build quality (I've owned a Kel-Tec and Ruger). I carry Speer Gold Dots in my LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    The main reason I'm looking at the Bersa is I could shoot it at the range for "fun"...as in more than 7-10 yds with any efficiency.
    - Add a Crimson Trace LaserGuard to either and you'll be as accurate as you can with the P3AT or LCP.

LCP for size advantages.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

LCP
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - IMO, the only real reason to buy a P3AT over a LCP is that the P3AT will handle .380ACP +P rounds like Buffalo Bore. It's a really hot round. The LCP has better build quality (I've owned a Kel-Tec and Ruger). I carry Speer Gold Dots in my LCP.

- Add a Crimson Trace LaserGuard to either and you'll be as accurate as you can with the P3AT or LCP.
    The p3at has been out for years before the LCP copied it, and has a proven track record. I've owned two p3ats, and straight out of the box never let me down. (I'm only on my second one because I regrettably sold the first one,and got a replacement quickly because I realized how much I appreciated/liked the weapon.). The LCP is probable a decent weapon. Based on my experience with Keltec, I'd love to own one of their 9mm offerings, and their SUB2000 rifle,and maybe will one day.

I apologize, after re-reading my post I didn't answer you question. Between the two, I would go with the LCP. If it was only between the two. I have shot the Bersa Thunder, and it was a great weapon; But for the same caliper go for the easier to conceal option. (Or if you can go with the larger weapon, get a 9mm like aforementioned by other posters.) Interestly enough, I carry a wheelgun these days anyway.

I vote LCP. It's a better pocket weapon
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I own both (okay, my "LCP" is a Taurus 738 TCP...same gun) and I never carry the Bersa any more. The TCP is just more concealable and versatile.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links