New ammo feeding issue

New ammo feeding issue

This is a discussion on New ammo feeding issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my Double tap ammo I had on order for my glock 20. I love the power it brings but I have some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New ammo feeding issue

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

New ammo feeding issue

I just got my Double tap ammo I had on order for my glock 20. I love the power it brings but I have some issues I need some help on. The 180 grain JHP nosler bullets fed fine and were very accurate at 1305fps I am sure they are thumpers!!! Second was the hard case 200 grain 1300fps and they jammed 3 times in 15 rounds. They were the most accurate putting a baseball size goup at 20 yards. The last was the 230 grain hard case and then jammed even more than the 200 grain and didn't group very well in my gun at all. I figure I have a few possible issues.
    1. Guns not broken in even after today only 100 shots or so through it.
    2. Fed ramp needs polished.
    3. Recoil spring is too week for the hot ammo.

I truely don't believe it is the ammo since they are very highly respected and recomended with some of the competitive shooters I know.
    Any info on how to fix my problem would be great! thanks.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

In addition I am not one to limp wrist.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Anyone have an Idea or opinion??

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    That's weird. I've never heard of a Glock having to "break-in," so I doubt that's an issue.
    10mm, right? Same problem with different mags? Did you go back to the 180s and see if they still fed okay? While Glocks aren't particularly "ammo-sensitive," it could be ammo related. I shoot a lot of reloads and could NOT get 200 grn SWCs to feed in my G30 no matter what.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I used both mags. The 180s are good I tore it down lubed it up and polished the the feed ramp. I gotta shoot it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I just got my Double tap ammo I had on order for my glock 20. I love the power it brings but I have some issues I need some help on. The 180 grain JHP nosler bullets fed fine and were very accurate at 1305fps I am sure they are thumpers!!! Second was the hard case 200 grain 1300fps and they jammed 3 times in 15 rounds. They were the most accurate putting a baseball size goup at 20 yards. The last was the 230 grain hard case and then jammed even more than the 200 grain and didn't group very well in my gun at all. I figure I have a few possible issues.
    1. Guns not broken in even after today only 100 shots or so through it.
    2. Fed ramp needs polished.
    3. Recoil spring is too week for the hot ammo.

I truly don't believe it is the ammo since they are very highly respected and recommended with some of the competitive shooters I know.
    Any info on how to fix my problem would be great! thanks.
    You could have just said feeding issues with my Glock, and there would be twice as many viewing the thread. LOL!
    Hot ammo in the full size 10mm Glock pistol.
    You know.........polishing the feed ramp might be okay...but what are you doing it with? At what point is the new round not feeding?
    Up out of the mag, going up, going forward, denting the bullet nose? Aligned with chamber but not going in?
    Been a few times I've recommended proper magazine loading techniques with the Glock magazines. Make sure each and every round seats fully to the rear of the mag, and if you feel one going in different or with less resistance, take it out and do it over after seating the previous rounds well by tapping the bottom of the magazine, then sharply slapping the back of the magazine into your off hand. With hotter rounds you've been using, and do to the extra recoil, your rounds still in the magazine are probably moving forward under recoil. Yes...it's a Glock, and 10mm. They made it and designed it to be a hot shooter.
    Also, have you ever noticed the slightly more pronounced bulge close to the case head of some of the hotter ammo? If this is the case, and you are seeing more brass shavings than usual, maybe your G20 needs a bit more of a break in period.
    On the recoils spring. Maybe....just maybe a + rated spring might solve your issues. So many things to think about. Rule out the variables one at a time. Change only one thing at a time until you narrow it down. Got a set of calipers? Check your ammo. I'm betting the ammo you are having problems with is more over dimension around the neck than the ammo you are not having problems with. Last but not least is the shape of the bullet nose in different loadings.........polishing the feed ramp in this case won't go far unless you're grinding it into a different angle. It's the .40cal, and sometimes that alone makes a lot of difference especially for the caliber. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of things in short order.
    For the time being.....don't be dismayed with your Glock or your choice of ammo. Just start being the troubleshooting, forensic scientist you were meant to be. I'll guarantee we'll both learn something from this one in the end, and it will be sealed in history, and all over the internet for the next time anyone has the same issues as you have had and asks the same questions.
    Glock on!

Great post ramrod! They are stopping just before the slide closes. When it jams I can tap the back of the slide forward And it chambers. I polished the slide lightly with a wheel and buffing compound. Really lubed and am ready to shoot. If this doesn't work I will get a new recoil spring. I am ready to buy a small carry glock want a 29 but I am gonna make sure I can work this out first. By the way just curious do 40 magazines work in the 10mm?

By the way just curious do 40 magazines work in the 10mm?
    No. The .40cal magazines won't work for/in the 10mm pistols. They should work for the .357sig pistols though.

Administrator
    "If this doesn't work I will get a new recoil spring." <~~~

That is what I would do were I you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "If this doesn't work I will get a new recoil spring." <~~~

That is what I would do were I you.
    +2. This is the first thing to try.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

so who makes the best after market spring? and what weight would be the best??

Do I need a recoil spring and guide rod?? what is the best one to get? I would like to get one before the weekend so I can keep playing.

I would get a replacement stock Glock spring assembly. Even with yours being virutally new, it could still be not up to par. If that helps, let Glock know and they may send you a new replacement.

Here are some pics. Looks like the flat front of the bullet is catching above the barrel?? The Nosler JHP no matter how "HOT" all feed perfectly! I am lost as to the answer right now.
    Attached Images

Here are some pics. Looks like the flat front of the bullet is catching above the barrel?? The Nosler JHP no matter how "HOT" all feed perfectly! I am lost as to the answer right now.
    I'd really like to see a pic of the cartridge itself.
    I'm going to take a stab at two guesses that might make things go better for you with these specific rounds...now that we've obviously narrowed it down to the ammo or it's design. #1. a lighter recoil spring might do the trick, or waiting for your current one to become weak.....thinking the slide might be going forward faster than the magazine spring can keep up. Your factory recoil spring rating is 17lb on the G20. Maybe a 14lb would do better. You'll actually reduce recoil a bit with the lighter spring. You'd need to go with aftermarket of course, and get a matching rod for the spring. I'd go with a non-captive. #2. an extra power magazine spring might be a more affordable way to go just to see if this would work. In my opinion, maybe this should be the number one trial instead of the number two as I've listed them. It would be the simpler way to rule out one of the two anyway. Being a Glock certified armorer, I won't specifically support using aftermarket parts in any Glock pistol. However, as an avid Glock fan and shooter, competitively and for serious practice and carry, I realize there are other possibilities for various reasons that are truly reasonable to seek. If you find yourself at wit's end and seek other possibilities, then I'd put Wolff Springs at the top of the list.
    Last but not least on the list would be to call Glock and speak with a tech about your issues. They may have some good info for you as maybe they've run into this question before from someone else. You could also ask them to test run your specific ammo through one of their production G20s and see what they come up with. I just know the answer is closer than we think at the moment. If you are at all like me, you rest easier once a mystery is solved. If you can't solve it yourself, you enlist the aid of others. That's why we're here isn't it?
    Glocks ph# 1-770-432-1202

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links