Opinions on Para G.I. Expert...

This is a discussion on Opinions on Para G.I. Expert... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to acquire my first 1911 soon. There seems to be a plethora of back-to-basic 1911s on the market these days. I'm leaning toward ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Para G.I. Expert...

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout

Arrow Opinions on Para G.I. Expert...

I'm looking to acquire my first 1911 soon. There seems to be a plethora of back-to-basic 1911s on the market these days.

I'm leaning toward the Para G.I. Expert Stainless or the Springfield G.I. Stainless or OD Green. I really like the tough, old school looks of these two weapons.

Does anyone here have any experience with either of these weapons?

It would be a cold weather carry piece and an HD gun.

Thanks everybody!

2. Remove Ads

i've had a gi expert for about a year and a half. i'm about to sell it. para's cust serv is terrible. they refused to replace a bad extractor unless i mailed the whole gun in to them at my expense.

it is very accurate, but it's reliablity could be better, and the finish is wearing faster than any gun i've owned (para kote is cheap crap).

i'm selling it to get a springfield mil-spec. i have several other SA 1911's, and they are great quality, and their cust serv is top notch.

get the springer. although, i would spend the extra cash and get the mil-spec, rather than the GI. the upgrades are worth more than the price difference.

overpriced,para sells guns that are cast frames and slides....but for prices that others are selling forged guns for. i have no problem with properly cast frames,but cast slides in general suck. paras customer service or lack thereof is notoriously bad,their reputation is notoriously bad for good reason also. your money would be better spent on a rock island if you want a good budget 1911,or even a springfield GI.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    get the springer. although, i would spend the extra cash and get the mil-spec, rather than the GI. the upgrades are worth more than the price difference.
    What's the difference between the SA G.I. and Mil-Spec? I've seen the Mil-Spec for about $625, which I think is a damn good price.

Thanks Don Glock for the comments on Para Ordnance handguns because I have been looking at them also........I appreciate the insight.!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Dead View Post
    What's the difference between the SA G.I. and Mil-Spec? I've seen the Mil-Spec for about $625, which I think is a damn good price.
    most areas it's about a $75-$100 price difference.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho1 View Post
    Thanks Don Glock for the comments on Para Ordnance handguns because I have been looking at them also........I appreciate the insight.!
    no prob, my friend

I bought a Springfield A1 for 600 flat during the obama craze. It was a totally awesome gun! Wish I still had it... :(

Can't say anything for Para. I have been interested in their SuperHawg but after reading this thread, not so much anymore.
    "A .40 for easy carry, a .45 for the end of the world!!"

G30
    G23

check out the para thread on 1911.org

there's a complaint thread--it's like 50 pages. there used to be a para rep that responded to posts on there, but not anymore. guess he just gave up

most areas it's about a $75-$100 price difference.
    Indeed, the GI is $499.99 at my LGS and I paid $599.99 for my NIB Mil-Spec and I had it OTD at $636 after a 6% sales tax.

Get the Springer, Para does not have a good reputation. Springer also has excellent customer service!

My dealer recommended the Para over the Springfield. Hope I didn't make too big of a mistake. It's only had 100 rounds through it, and I'll keep you posted if I have any problems. I shoot wheelguns most of the time.
    "A militia when properly formed is in fact the people themselves . . . and include all men capable of bearing arms . . . to preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms."

Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Angry

Re: Para USA GI Expert.

I carried mine for a week in an IWB holster as I wanted something slimmer than my Glock 17 for summertime carry. The parakote finish is so craptastic, there's rust on the hammer and mag release button.

Luckily, it was only surface rust. After a hardcore cleaning, I think I got it all off, but I'll be checking it every weekend from now on. If it was an option, I'd just trade the thing off and be done with it, but I had originally given it to my dad months ago and I'd traded him the glock for the summer. Well, the G17 is back on my hip now.

I still may trade it in on another 1911 if he doesn't care. Something a bit more like the GI issue style (since that was why I gave it to him in the first place, it reminded him of his duty sidearm when he was a SeaBee.)
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Re: Para USA GI Expert.

I carried mine for a week in an IWB holster as I wanted something slimmer than my Glock 17 for summertime carry. The parakote finish is so craptastic, there's rust on the hammer and mag release button.

Luckily, it was only surface rust. After a hardcore cleaning, I think I got it all off, but I'll be checking it every weekend from now on. If it was an option, I'd just trade the thing off and be done with it, but I had originally given it to my dad months ago and I'd traded him the glock for the summer. Well, the G17 is back on my hip now.

I still may trade it in on another 1911 if he doesn't care. Something a bit more like the GI issue style (since that was why I gave it to him in the first place, it reminded him of his duty sidearm when he was a SeaBee.)
    ..and it did nothing to temper his annoyance when I showed him my American Classic had no signs of holster wear or rust...

(just kidding buddy. I didn't think it was really all that bad, and if I had anything you wanted in trade, I'd take your Para in a heartbeat.)
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    ..and it did nothing to temper his annoyance when I showed him my American Classic had no signs of holster wear or rust...

(just kidding buddy. I didn't think it was really all that bad, and if I had anything you wanted in trade, I'd take your Para in a heartbeat.)
    take my para--plz!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    take my para--plz!
    Even if he thinks his is looking rough Don, I at least know he's found it to be reliable!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links