Glock Feeding Issue!!

This is a discussion on Glock Feeding Issue!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my new G23 to the local indoor range today. I had already put 150 rds through it, in it's first session. I went ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock Feeding Issue!!

Glock Feeding Issue!!

I took my new G23 to the local indoor range today. I had already put 150 rds through it, in it's first session. I went through 50 rounds without flaw(and to be honest, its a glock... should I really have to say that?!), but during the next 100 rds of ammo, I had 3 FTF issues.

I was shooting BVAC ammo, 180gr factory reloads... simply because they're cheap. I didn't manage to get a pic of the FTF, as the range is poorly lit, and I knew my cell phone would be just about worthless for it.

Each of the 3 failures looked exactly the same. The slide would stop about 1/2" from battery, and the round would be pointing straight up at the ejection port. There was no particular rhythm to the issue, as it would happen at a different place in the mag(it wasn't always the first or the last round in a given mag). I am not new to handguns, in the least, and after it happened the first time, I was dead set on recreating it. I held the gun with strong muzzle control, and eliminated any question of shooter error... but I didn't have to wait long. As stated, it occured 3 times in all, and I may have gotten a longer pattern, had I been there longer and with more ammo.

I know the usual.... bad mag, bad ammo, bad shooter. What else could the issue be?!

I'm not trying to bad mouth the brand, but so far, this glock has been far less reliable than my govt., commander, and officer 1911s... and for that matter, every other gun I've owned!

what say you, Glock afficani... aficcianad... affici... Glock gurus?
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

2. Remove Ads

In addition to the possibility of bad ammo, it may be shooter related. You may have been getting fatigued and started limp-wristing it. It happens sometimes to shooters who are new to Glocks.

In a word, no.

I wasn't becoming fatigued after less than 100 rds, you're just gonna have to trust me on that.

I'd pick up 100 rounds of decent factory new ammo & try that before I blamed the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by roadsiderob View Post
    I'd pick up 100 rounds of decent factory new ammo & try that before I blamed the gun.
    its just a little disappointing that it could be an ammo issue. Its a glock, shouldn't it eat anything?! My CBOB does

it's the reloads.

Should eat anything, but not always... try some other ammo, pref not Winchester USA's, which recently have been noted to have light primer strikes... Especially noted in GLOCKs.

New gun, or new used...? Did you clean it...?

Also check the pic, and make sure the slide is lubed here with something similar to the factory lube... This can resolve some out of battery issues/failure to fires...
    Attached Images
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    its just a little disappointing that it could be an ammo issue. Its a glock, shouldn't it eat anything?! My CBOB does
    You have no control and no recourse with reloaded ammo. I don't know of a gun manufacturer in business today who will stand by the gun functioning properly with anything but new factory ammo.

If you must use reloads, try some from Black Hills. Their quality control is tops in the biz.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Using reloads (mine), my G30 wouldn't feed a 200 grn SWC to save its life but gobbles up 230 LRNs, even with mild target loads. The SWCs are the only thing to ever cause a problem. And I shoot mainly reloads.

I'd say stick with factory loads. If they work okay, then it must be the reloads (of dubious nature).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The Glock manual specifically states NOT to use reloaded ammo. (sorry, but I had to put that there!)

If it works with other FACTORY NEW ammo, I'd say it's an ammo issue.

Good luck, and enjoy your Glock.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Another possibility with the ammo in question is how hot (or not hot) it is loaded. Glocks like ammo on the warmer to hot side. If the velocity is too low then there will not be enough energy produced to overcome the recoil spring tension. Basic physics. Some people have reported FTF's with factory loaded wally world ammo too. FWIW, I have never had a problem with Remington or Winchester ammo. The only failure I have had is due to a magazine spring wearing out. I have also never had a single FTF with Speer lawman ammo but that stuff is pretty hot.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Interresting. I have put thousands of rounds through my G23 flawlessly. The only time it had a FTF was when my very petite wife shot it. I would probably check the grip first and ammo second.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    it's the reloads.
    I agree! Do some research on Glocks and Reloads and you will find that not all but some don t respond to it.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

I had a few FTE with my G 23 when i first got it. I seem to recall it taking me a little while to adjust to the grip on the glock.

Reloads/improper grip="unreliable" Glock.
    Glock "Perfection" is not just a slogan; it is truth in advertising.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links