Just wondering?

Just wondering?

This is a discussion on Just wondering? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The older you get...the smaller your gun. Is it me, or do you find yourself carrying a compact 9mm(say a G26)over a full-size one? Or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering?

Just wondering?

The older you get...the smaller your gun. Is it me, or do you find yourself carrying a compact 9mm(say a G26)over a full-size one? Or the 1911 stays home and the 5-shot snub gets carried? Is it laziness or we just find a couple of tried and true platforms that happen to be smaller than the "horse pistols"we carried as young guys? I just hope I never want Haband pants with the elastic waist!!Just wondering!
    Last edited by JD; July 7th, 2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Removed bold font.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Well I am 32...not really old, but I have been carrying a G23 for 10+ years. I acquired a M&P 340 last summer, and carry it on lot sof times to run to the store or when it is way too hot outside to carry a "regular gun". Plus it is my "no gun" gun. Church most family gatherings etc. I totally get where you are coming from.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    I hear ya Old Grunt, believe me I understand. More and more I notice that heavy tug at my belt with full size steel guns. I even know of a number of people that attribute a back problem to years of carrying a heavy gun. Not everyone will experience that of course, but I'm beginning to believe that if one has any back problems at all, that asymmetrical side load is gonna definitely gonna exascerbate the problem.

I carry plastic guns now, and glad to have them.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

When I made the decision to carry concealed, I chose the weapon that I was most proficient with, felt most comfortable in carrying, was the most reliable (in my opinion), and had the stopping power that I felt was sufficient should I need to use it. With that being said, it just so happens that my weapon of choice was a G26. I do not carry based on someone else's opinion as to weapon choice, size, etc. Full size doesn't necessarily equate to best choice. I firmly believe to each his own. Age has nothing to do with it, however experience plays a big factor. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Mine is going the other direction. I've just this last month starting carrying a 1911 for CC. For years I carried a Glock, Walther PPK, Kahr among a few other lighter options. It all changed when I picked up my little Sig .380 and took it to the range. This little 1911 style of pistol shot so well that I figured it had to be due to the style of pistol and a combination of the 1911 format. Soon I picked up my first .45 1911 and sure enough it too points and shoots with very mild felt recoil and to my amazement, I just shoot better with both over my other DAO pistols. It's considerably heavier than say my Kahr CW9 or G26, but not by enough to dissuade me from wanting the accuracy and slim form-factor. And carried in a Supertuc holster the weight is displaced pretty good, so not near the amount fatigue felt at the end of the day. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    LOL- you must be a young guy. Just kidding. The 1911 platform is about as thin as it gets for a .45 caliber, that does help with carry and concealment.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have back issues, and have found that my 1911 is a pain to carry (literally). My tupperware is easier to carry, but I still need to be careful. On bad days its the P3AT and pocket carry.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    My EDC's seem to be getting bigger as I get older! I'm just now toting a 1911!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

As we get older, the more options we find available to us. The firearms industry is making more and more major caliber guns in smaller and smaller packages. Thirty-some years ago our choices were somewhat limited. Because of my chosen career, most of my experience in carrying firearms has been full size service pistols.

For several years in semi-retirement, I have been carrying a compact S&W 457, but recently bought a Springfield XD sub-compact in .40 S&W. A smaller package, but in a major caliber.

For hot summer weather where concealment can be an issue, I do from time-to-time leave home with my J-frame. I do so with confidence because of the quantum leap ammo makers have made in self defense ammo. To paraphrase the old car commercial; It isn't your father's .38 special.

No matter what platform I carry, I always have at least one full capacity reload available. I also have the added benefit of my wife who carries, as a back-up.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

The real question for you old guys, is the gun getting smaller or is your bellys just gettting bigger, making the gun look smaller in relation? Sorry, I am a smartalik tonight.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

VIP Member
    I find that I tend to carry as much as I can conceal, meaning that if I'm in jeans and frumpy, I'm also heavily strapped.

The older I get, the more guns I have, the more options I have, therefore I often carry a lot lighter than I used to (G26, LCP, 637) when I'm out interacting with the public.

Although when I retire (and dress however I want), I suspect that I'll look and carry like Yosemite Sam.
    Attached Images

Carry what you shoot best and what's comfortable. For me that has always been a full sized weapon. After years packing a Sam Brown a full sized weapon alone seems light. Maybe I'm just lucky re back problems, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    The real question for you old guys, is the gun getting smaller or is your bellys just gettting bigger, making the gun look smaller in relation? Sorry, I am a smartalik tonight.
    Yea, I've balooned out from 28 duty pants to 30's now.

kpw
    I kinda went the opposite. My last carry pistol was a G27. The last 3-4 years it's been a G19 on my hip. I think that's about it for me, doubt I'll go larger. I'm 42 now so I'll check back in 20 years or so.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    LOL- you must be a young guy. Just kidding. The 1911 platform is about as thin as it gets for a .45 caliber, that does help with carry and concealment.
    Boy I wish I could be young again... However, I'd say that I'm young at heart, but long in the tooth.

I agree, the 1911 is far easier to carry than I ever imagined. I love it and plan to add more to my stock in the future.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I'm by no means old but I seem to be going the other direction. I am now looking for a full size .45 to add to the collection. I just wish the G21 fit in my hands or I wouldnt be looking, Id be buying.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links