Two ends of the ammo spectrum for self defense

This is a discussion on Two ends of the ammo spectrum for self defense within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Glock 23 or 27 in an IWB holster. I barely know it's there. The 27 goes with everything and I like the ...

Thread: Two ends of the ammo spectrum for self defense

Two ends of the ammo spectrum for self defense

I carry a Glock 23 or 27 in an IWB holster. I barely know it's there. The 27 goes with everything and I like the small size. Home defense guns are 357s and a 45 1911.

I would like to get another pistol. Why? Because I want to. I am torn between 2 pistols of opposite ends of the spectrum: the Sig P238 380 ACP and the Glock 30 45 ACP.

Both are accurate and fun to shoot. Both can be concealed. The 238 would be a "fun gun" and for deep concealment. The 30 would be a "fun gun" and would be better for carry during the fall and winter.

Accuracy would be about the same. Availability of ammo is better for the 45 but 380 ammo prices are starting to fall. One is a very effective caliber for self defense an one serves as minimal for self defense.

I would be the sole user for this pistol. Seeing what I have, what would you get?

A mousegun or the 45?
    NRA, Lifetime Member

2. Remove Ads

I would think a pocket gun would be a good addition as a carry option, so the Sig would be my choice of those 2..

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I am firmly of the opinion that size does matter. .45 is my daily carry... even now in the heat of summer.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I own a G30 and LOVE IT!!! I carry it almost everywhere, plus, it's a .45 man!
    Awesome size for 10 +1.

Also, your gonna save a lot of money vs. a Sig. Use the money to buy extra ammo, NS, etc.

AND you will not have to go out and stock another caliber that may or may not be available/affordable.

The little gun is not that practical, It only fills one role and is not a good SD caliber in my opinion. Get like a Kahr PM9 for that...

If anything, get a G36 or Kahr 45. Best of both worlds. Id get the G36 in my humble opinion.
    "A .40 for easy carry, a .45 for the end of the world!!"

G30
    G23

I vote for the Sig, just because I want one. Additionally, you don't have a pocket pistol in your line-up
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    CDRGlock:

Since you like Glocks so much, an obvious choice in one extreme ( slimness ) would be the Walther PPS. Very thin gun that is super easy to conceal. And you can get it in either 9mm or .40 S&W And best of all, it disassembles just like a Glock for breakdown, and even has a trigger system that is like the one on the Glock. So you would feel right at home with a Walther PPS.

On the other extreme ( power ), why not consider the Glock 29 instead. One can get 10mm ammo that easily outperforms any .45 Auto loads.

Or, the least expensive option of all, why not simply buy a .357 Sig barrel for your G27, and give that round a try, since you say you also like the .357 caliber ?? If you were to get the 4.16 inch extended Storm Lake barrel for the Glock 27, that would help you get some really nice velocity out of the .357 Sig round from your G27. You would then have a compact pistol with 10 round capacity that was able to spit out bullets at some really high velocities.

You could even do the same thing for the G29, and extend its barrel out to 4.48 inches with a Storm Lake barrel.

Go for the Glock!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Thanks for the input everyone. The pricepoint is what made me choose between the two. Ammo availability and a more than capable caliber is my deciding factor.

I considered other models for one reason or another. The PPS is a great design but it doesn't come in 45. No need for another 40, for me.

I will use the 45 for Home Defense, fall/winter carry and when traveling. The G23 and G27 are excellent but I like the 45 ACP more.

With a great holster, any gun can conceal comfortably.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

AzB
    Get them both!

Always glad to help...
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    CDRGlock:

Since you like Glocks so much, an obvious choice in one extreme ( slimness ) would be the Walther PPS. Very thin gun that is super easy to conceal. And you can get it in either 9mm or .40 S&W And best of all, it disassembles just like a Glock for breakdown, and even has a trigger system that is like the one on the Glock. So you would feel right at home with a Walther PPS.

On the other extreme ( power ), why not consider the Glock 29 instead. One can get 10mm ammo that easily outperforms any .45 Auto loads.

Or, the least expensive option of all, why not simply buy a .357 Sig barrel for your G27, and give that round a try, since you say you also like the .357 caliber ?? If you were to get the 4.16 inch extended Storm Lake barrel for the Glock 27, that would help you get some really nice velocity out of the .357 Sig round from your G27. You would then have a compact pistol with 10 round capacity that was able to spit out bullets at some really high velocities.

You could even do the same thing for the G29, and extend its barrel out to 4.48 inches with a Storm Lake barrel.

+1 on the 10mm out performs the 45 and is the same size.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I always considered the two ends of the spectrum .22 Short and .500 S&W magnum. In your case I'd go with the .45. Why use a "mouse gun" for defense?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I considered other models for one reason or another. The PPS is a great design but it doesn't come in 45. No need for another 40, for me.

I suggested the PPS as a smaller alternative. Something to consider instead of the Sig P238, which is available only in .380 Whether in 9mm or .40 S&W, it would trump the Sig P238 big time.

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    The pricepoint is what made me choose between the two. Ammo availability and a more than capable caliber is my deciding factor.
    That is where the 10mm has a major disadvantage compared with the .45 .45 ammo is much more available and affordable.

I'm sort of partial to this .45 ACP load myself for putting down varmints. The size of this Hollowpoint is quite impressive to see in person. It is massive:

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    I am firmly of the opinion that size does matter. .45 is my daily carry... even now in the heat of summer.
    I'm with that. There are some instances where carrying my 1911 is burdensome. I do have a few pieces of clothing, that if worn wouldn't conceal the 1911's grip as well due to the thinner material of the shirt and size. If I ever wear those, my G23 comes with me. So far it's worked out every time, I haven't carried my G23 since I got my new holster for the 1911.

I do love a .45acp!
    Last edited by cmdrdredd; July 8th, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

IMO, you have the primary carry covered pretty well with the G23 and the G27. I just in the last month picked up the Sig and I love it! I can honestly say that IMO, it's the perfect .380 and at least for me my search for a deep concealment pistol is over. I have several .380s and the sig IMO ranks right there with my Interarms PPK, but in a much smaller form factor. The Sig is extremely accurate and the recoil is as good as it gets.

I pretty much did what you're talking about. I also picked up a Kimber Ultra CII and it was just cause I wanted a 1911 style of pistol over the 3 glocks and my other polymers options. I carry it as my EDC and the .45 ACP round does add a good amount of confidence in firepower, but the .380 with the proper load will do it's, job if you can put the round where it's needed. The Sig gives the operator an excellent platform and high degree of quality to add to your skill set. I'd get the Sig

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I would get a CZ82, grate gun grate price and makes a good project gun.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Links