Glock 23 or S&W M&Pc 40

Glock 23 or S&W M&Pc 40

This is a discussion on Glock 23 or S&W M&Pc 40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a lighter weight carry gun and have narrowed down my choices to either a Glock 23 or S&W M&P compact in ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Glock 23 or S&W M&Pc 40

I am looking for a lighter weight carry gun and have narrowed down my choices to either a Glock 23 or S&W M&P compact in 40. I have held both and they feel good. I don't have the ability to shoot either one. There are no rental places here.
    Given the choice between the two, which one would you recommend and why? If the Glock, which Generation?

GLOCK G23 Gen 3. Actually Gen 2 would be my personal preference. I just don't care for the finger grooves or grip textures featured on the Gen 3 pistols. And I don't care for any of the extras the Gen 4 offers.

I own a Gen 3 GLock 23 and would recommend it...

But I'd really like to try the S&W...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    M&P40c all the way! It is worth the extra money.

I'll have another link posted in a bit on the M&P
    but for now this is the compact 9 vs. the baby glock, same size guns just different caliber enjoy

edit: I give the M&P an 'A' overall, the Glock gets a 'B'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvcg-vFiEJY
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

M&Ps are very nice, and feel great in the hand, and shoot very good as well...

Having said that, look at a G23 next to an M&P at your local gun shop. Put them next to each other on the counter and size them up. One of the great things about Glock is, its not a hair bigger than it has to be! 13+1 capacity of .40 cal does not get any more compact than the G23. That's not to say that the M&P is a big gun, but if you hold them side by side, the G23 is significantly more compact.

Now, I know the M&P holds 2 more rounds than the G23, but it was the significance size difference that sealed the deal for me.

Glock on!
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

VIP Member
    Both are great, I personally like the M&P better, but you can't go wrong either way.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Just traded my G23 for a M&P 45 midsize. Feels better in the hand and has a manual safety which I can use or not. The loss of a couple rounds doesn't bother me (much)....but I like the 45 format. The 23 was a great handgun (must have been since I got $400 in trade at the local GS), but I just prefer Smith an Wessons.

CC my Gen 3 23 every day and love it. Plenty of rounds, easy to conceal, and reliable. Tough to go wrong with that combination.

Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    Having said that, look at a G23 next to an M&P at your local gun shop. Put them next to each other on the counter and size them up.
    I thought the M&Pc is between the G23 and the G27 in size.

I have the M&P FS and compact...and I love them both. Great ergonomics and both have been 100% reliable for me. The Glock has an unusual grip angle that doesn't point well for me.

Compare them both side by side at a shop.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I'd go with the M&P I love mine!
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post

I have the M&P FS and compact...and I love them both. Great ergonomics and both have been 100% reliable for me. The Glock has an unusual grip angle that doesn't point well for me.

Compare them both side by side at a shop.
    It is. That poster must have been thinking about the full size M&P.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

The Glock grip is really different than most but if it works for you they are the best in my oppinion, I have the G23 and love it never an issue and I hit what I want when I want.
    NRA Member
    Glock 23

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post

Having said that, look at a G23 next to an M&P at your local gun shop. Put them next to each other on the counter and size them up. One of the great things about Glock is, its not a hair bigger than it has to be! 13+1 capacity of .40 cal does not get any more compact than the G23. That's not to say that the M&P is a big gun, but if you hold them side by side, the G23 is significantly more compact.
    Everything that you said here is totally out of context, and thus completely wrong.

You failed to read the post by the OP carefully. He is considering the M&P 40 compact, and not a full size M&P. The M&P 40 compact is significantly smaller and more compact than a G23.

Your analysis here is clearly off base.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    Actually, the M&P 40c is closer to the size of a G27, than a G23. The grip is slightly longer than the G27, which is why it is able to hold 10 rounds of .40 S&W in the magazine, compared to 9 on the G27.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInWV View Post
    I am looking for a lighter weight carry gun and have narrowed down my choices to either a Glock 23 or S&W M&P compact in 40. I have held both and they feel good. I don't have the ability to shoot either one. There are no rental places here.
    Given the choice between the two, which one would you recommend and why? If the Glock, which Generation?

The S&W M&P 40c will have the edge in concealability, mainly due to the shorter handle enabled by the lower magazine capacity ( 10 vs 13 on the G23 ).

The M&P also has the more ergonomic grip design that is adjustable in size. Both of those factors help to make a more secure grip on a grip that is shorter.

I personally found the G19/G23 to be too big to comfortably conceal. I sold my Glock and later replaced it with a G17 for home protection, and eventually got a M&P 40c for carry usage.

To compare the gun to others in size, here is in between my Glock 17 on the top, and my Kahr PM9 below it:

In terms of both length and height, it is almost identical to my Walther PPS, except that it is much wider than the PPS, due to its double stack magazine design:

One nice plus is that it has probably the best implemented grip laser that Crimson Trace has ever made for a handgun available to add to it. Installation could not be easier, and the laser comes on automatically when one grips the gun to fire. Here is a photo of me holding my M&P 40c in my hand:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links