S&W M&P Triggers

This is a discussion on S&W M&P Triggers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the folks who have M&Ps, what do you think of the safety level of the M&P trigger? I currently carry a Sig P228, decocked, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P Triggers

Question S&W M&P Triggers

For the folks who have M&Ps, what do you think of the safety level of the M&P trigger?
    I currently carry a Sig P228, decocked, round in the chamber. I'm very comfortable with that due to the long deliberate trigger pull on the first shot, and the fact that I can ride the slide/hammer with my thumb when holstering.
    However, I have been looking at an M&P because I want to move up from 9MM, change to a polymer, and don't like the Sig P250. I've fired the M&P along with a few others, and like the way it shoots. I don't really want one with a thumb safety, but having only the passive trigger on it leaves me a little nervous to carry with a round in the chamber.
    I realize, my apprehension may work itself out with a little practice and more hands-on with the gun.

Anyone else have one with just the passive trigger? Are you comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber?

I browsed through several threads, and didn't see one on this. If it's already there, please just post a link.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

2. Remove Ads

I've got an M&P9c that I carry with a round in the chamber. I'm perfectly comfortable with it that way. The trigger is nice and crisp on mine. The only safety you need is the one between your ears.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I just got the 45 Compact with manual thumb safety. But even without the safety, it's DAO so it's not cocked until you pull the trigger, anyway.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Senior Moderator
    I have a M&P 9mm and .45 and I have to admit I show a little more respect for the M&P trigger than a DA/SA or long DAO. That shouldn't be interpreted to mean I'm not careful with a DA/SA but it is a bit different.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Same concept as the Glock and I have carried Glocks since the G19 was first introduced (20+ years) with no problems. Just make sure you keep the booger hook OFF the bang switch until you want to fire, which should be standard practice with all firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I just got the 45 Compact with manual thumb safety. But even without the safety, it's DAO so it's not cocked until you pull the trigger, anyway.
    ????
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    ????
    Maybe I'm wrong about this? I very well could be. But I was under the impression that with it being DAO, the striker didn't cock until the trigger is pulled?

Can someone clarify?

-miklcolt45

It is listed as a DAO action. However, the travel and "feel" of it is more like a single action.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    It is listed as a DAO action. However, the travel and "feel" of it is more like a single action.
    I agree about the feel, but technically speaking, am I correct in saying that the striker doesn't cock until the trigger is pulled?

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    For the folks who have M&Ps, what do you think of the safety level of the M&P trigger?
    I currently carry a Sig P228, decocked, round in the chamber. I'm very comfortable with that due to the long deliberate trigger pull on the first shot, and the fact that I can ride the slide/hammer with my thumb when holstering.
    However, I have been looking at an M&P because I want to move up from 9MM, change to a polymer, and don't like the Sig P250. I've fired the M&P along with a few others, and like the way it shoots. I don't really want one with a thumb safety, but having only the passive trigger on it leaves me a little nervous to carry with a round in the chamber.
    I realize, my apprehension may work itself out with a little practice and more hands-on with the gun.

Anyone else have one with just the passive trigger? Are you comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber?

I browsed through several threads, and didn't see one on this. If it's already there, please just post a link.
    I have one with a thumb safety and one without a thumb safety. I feel pretty comfortable with each of them.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    My M&P's trigger is fine, I have a thumb safety but, sometimes I carry it with it off. If you keep your finger off the trigger and have a good holster you will be fine.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

FWIW, M&P triggers are spec'd at 6 1/2 pounds from the factory and have plenty of take-up. Most folks seem to want LESS in their M&P triggers.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I have one with a thumb safety, but don't feel it's necessary. I've considered removing the safety, just haven't gotten motivated about it yet. The gun really feels fine without it, once you get used to its feel.

My 45s (fs and compact) have safeties and my 9s (fs and compact) don't- really doesn't make me any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    How did you come to this conclusion? The trigger bar just trips the sear and moves the striker block. AFAIK there is no cocking going on, once the sear is tripped the striker releases.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links