FN Five Seven 5.7

This is a discussion on FN Five Seven 5.7 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I plan to purchase an FN Five Seven not for carry but am interested if anyone is using it as a carry gun. I'm well ...

Thread: FN Five Seven 5.7

New Member Array fortycaliberglock's Avatar

FN Five Seven 5.7

I plan to purchase an FN Five Seven not for carry but am interested if anyone is using it as a carry gun. I'm well aware of the political history and it's first intended role in piercing armor. Does anyone own one of these unique pistols?

Joe

2. Remove Ads

I had one for a short while then I traded it for something more practical. The ammo was way too pricey for me to just go out and shoot it, not to mention the questionable ballistic qualities of the round. Fully loaded with 20 in the mag it sure was light though.
    Nick.

Assistant Administrator
    Lot of hype around this gun - but I explored as many aspects as I could over last several months and came to conclusion - not for me!

Interesting? - yes but practical? No I really don't think so - I'd rather make my small cal fun come at the cheap price of .22LR even if velocity a lot lower.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    That .223"-.225" pill would have to be going another 300(or so) fps for me to wanna have anything to do with it,20rd.mag or not. The good ammo is drying up and now almost all of them are the ballistic tip kinda rds. If you can find the AP stuff it is very expensive.Have shot the pistol and the PS90 and the recoil is akin to the .22mag rd. Maybe a little more of a twang sound.

The pistol is big for a CCW,but big enough to fit the hand well. It is a cheapish feeling pistol with a very plastic look to it. The pistol can dump the whole mag while staying on target at 10yds.

The application for the pistol would be ????......really can't think of one. The rifle is a great little compact carbine,unless you gotta knock down steel plates.

The pistols(new models with the roundish trigger guards)are selling for $825 to $950 in my area. The PS90's for $1800ish. Have you seen the even newer .223 carbines ??($2700) I got a chance to shoot one of them the other day. Very impressive !! --------

Makes a great squirrel and ground hog poper, for just walking around, have been ysing a bud's for about two weeks now, helping a local farmer kill off some pesky groundhogs, and body shots out to about 100 yards seem to be good, pass that and the piggies are just to big in body mass for a clean kill

I was thinking of buying one but found it pricey for a polymer. The ammo is not only hard to find but quite pricey also.

Now, their FNP-9 is another story. I purchased one and it has been a great shooter (accurate) and after about 600+ rounds not a single failure.
    Comes with 3 magazines (16+1) and comes with two backstraps to adjust for your hand size.
    MY GUN, MY RIGHT!!

New Member Array fortycaliberglock's Avatar
    RSSZ, I agree. What is the application? For Iraq, where the necessity to punch through body armor is not so outlandish, it would seem to be a nice "hip carbine" when I can't carry a shoulder arm.

I fired one at the last IDPA match in which I competed. Tons of fun with a 20 rd mag. 30rd mags are also available. Quite accurate at about 30 meters into an IDPA target (all "A-Zone" hits) but it's not for me. This little critter seems to be a lot like the old 38sp RNL round. The one the cops called the widow maker for it's lack of stopping power back in the 1960's. If (God forbid) I ever have to shoot a BG....I don't want to have to stand around and ARGUE with him about it all day....too!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links