A HI-Point gauntlet

This is a discussion on A HI-Point gauntlet within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read about this THR and thought this forum would enjoy. Throwing Down the Gauntlet to Hi-Point Fans. The Way of the Multigun follow up- ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A HI-Point gauntlet

A HI-Point gauntlet

ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Interesting. Should be fun to follow.
    I don't know how the HP will do in a competition, but for the record, I'm not an "anti" inexpensive gun guy.
    If a Hi Point is all someone can afford to protect their home, and it goes bang reliably, it's better than nothing.

Do i want one for myself? Nope.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I stopped reading at

"Hi-Point fans come crawling out of the woodwork to advocate how the Hi-Point design is just as good as a Glock/SIG/CZ/M&P/other popular semi-auto pistol."

With the exception of a few crazed fans I almost NEVER see anyone say that a high point is as good as a glock/sig/etc even on forums dedicated just to the high point. This guy did what I HATE. He took the minority and assumed it's the majority view.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

cmb
    This will be interesting, no doubt, not sure the high point i a "competition gun" although it is pretty accurate, I use the ghost ring sight, just put the front sight in the ring level with the ceter arrows and that is what you get.

I agree with Rollo, I have a HP and like it fine but would not put it in the same category as the others.
    Last edited by cmb; July 9th, 2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: follow up

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I stopped reading at

"Hi-Point fans come crawling out of the woodwork to advocate how the Hi-Point design is just as good as a Glock/SIG/CZ/M&P/other popular semi-auto pistol."

With the exception of a few crazed fans I almost NEVER see anyone say that a high point is as good as a glock/sig/etc even on forums dedicated just to the high point. This guy did what I HATE. He took the minority and assumed it's the majority view.
    Good point. Still might be interesting to read the competition/range report. (if the author can be objective)
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Good point. Still might be interesting to read the competition/range report. (if the author can be objective)
    I agree that it would be great information if he's objective but when people over exaggerate like he did I find it REALLY hard to believe he is going to be objective.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Interesting. Should be fun to follow.
    I don't know how the HP will do in a competition, but for the record, I'm not an "anti" inexpensive gun guy.
    If a Hi Point is all someone can afford to protect their home, and it goes bang reliably, it's better than nothing.

Do i want one for myself? Nope.
    I agree. But I have been anxious to try the carbines they make. I hear nothing but good feedback on them.
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I agree that it would be great information if he's objective but when people over exaggerate like he did I find it REALLY hard to believe he is going to be objective.
    I was thinking that same thing. This guy has a pre-existing prejudice against Hi-Point and it will come across, whether consciously or not.

I'm no Hi-Point fan either, but I see no way that this will be truly objective.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I own a Hi-Point 9mm and while I don't think you can or should compare it with the other guns mentioned I do know that it works well and you can hit what you are aiming at. I have put over a thousand rounds through it and it is a good, reliable gun. It is as big as a brick and twice as ugly...but works! Just one of a dozen I own and enjoy shooting. I say to each his or her own.

Just my 2 cents.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

Administrator
    Now that Charlie has stepped in, Hi Point is sending him a pistol for his experiment, it should prove interesting. Biased or not, fact is fact. The Hi Point makes it or it doesnt.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My view on the whole Hi Point issue is, if you're an owner, does it work? Do you like it? If so, AWESOME! Wear it out and have fun!

Not my style, but nobody says they have to be.

Administrator
    Sounds like he'll test it fairly to me.

Throwing Down the Gauntlet to Hi-Point Fans.

Ok, so if you go to practically any gun forum on the internet, and people start talking about inexpensive or cheap guns, inevitably the Hi-Point fans come crawling out of the woodwork to advocate how the Hi-Point design is just as good as a Glock/SIG/CZ/M&P/other popular semi-auto pistol.

They will, at great length, talk about how the guns are accurate, durable, and just the bee’s knees for any application you’d care to use a handgun for.

And woe unto you if you dare to criticize their bargain-bin darling! If you so much as point out that the guns use a sub-optimal operating system for the calibers in which they’re chambered, you will automatically get labeled as one of those monocle-wearing, mustache-twirling, poor-people-hating gun snobs.

Now, shooting can be a somewhat spendy sport. Between the costs of ammo, gear, match fees, etc. it can put a definite crimp in your wallet. So, I’m always on the lookout for ways to save money without losing out on performance.

So, I’m going to take this opportunity to lay it all out there. I’m willing to give the Hi-Point a shot, and here’s my proposal.

One of you, who’s a true believer in the superiority of the Hi-Point, provide me with a Hi-Point C-9 9mm handgun. No laser. No compensator. Just the barebones stock gun. The only other accessories I require are four extra magazines (for a grand total of five.)

You transfer the gun to the FFL of my choice (contact me at wayofthemultigun ->at<- gmail.com), I'll pay for the background check and transfer.

For the cost of the gun plus shipping, here's what I will do:

I will objectively test the Hi-Point C-9 under competitive settings.

-I will shoot the Hi-Point at no less than six local Steel Challenge matches.
    -It will be entered into the matches as a second entry, so I will shoot it against my primary Production Division CZ-85, which will be the gun used as a benchmark.
    -I will use the same ammunition for both guns.
    -Both guns will be used to shoot the same stages at least three times each.
    -I will post the results of how I placed at each match with both guns.
    -I will dutifully log any and all malfunctions, failures, and breakages with both firearms so that they may be compared for relative levels of reliability.

If, after shooting the Hi-Point at these six matches, I manage to place higher with the Hi-Point, I will compete at a state-level Steel Challenge match with this gun. If provided with Hi-Point branded apparel (hat, shirt, etc.) I will wear it during this match.

However, if the Hi-Point fails to live up to the reputation of its online adherents and I do not place as well as or better with the Hi-Point, or it fails mechanically to the point where I can no longer use it at matches, I reserve the right to bag on Hi-Point guns to my heart's content from now until the day I die.
    Last edited by JD; July 9th, 2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added quote tags

I stopped reading at

+1 Amen to that.
    It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?

keep your nose in the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

So I was at a recent gun show, a big one with several hundred tables. And I don't know about you, but for me, after a while, your eyes glaze a bit and you start drifting, pausing at exceptional things that catch your eye.

I'm going along and all of a sudden, the top row of one table has what was unquestionably the ugliest handgun I'd ever seen in my life. As I leaned in to check the make, I knew what name was going to be on it. They actually make Glocks look good.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

hi points are like cheap cars. They either don't work right ever or they run perfectly. i've seen both. if you get the former it's a piece of junk if you get the latter you have done alright. It's not a pretty gun but it does go bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links