Ruger LCP or not

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP or not within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want a small CCW. What are your thoughts on the Ruger LCP. Laser or No Laser?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP or not

Ruger LCP or not

I want a small CCW. What are your thoughts on the Ruger LCP. Laser or No Laser?
    tpG23

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

- G. K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tpG23 View Post
    I want a small CCW. What are your thoughts on the Ruger LCP. Laser or No Laser?
    I think the LCP is a great gun. I however am not a fan of lasers on any of my guns but I could see the benefit on a gun like the LCP with minimal sites.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I carry one almost daily. I do not have the laser option. I DID try one but it just messed with my grip. (A personal thing..) I suggest you join the Elsie Pea forum and read everything you can there. There is a lot of good information to be found. Mine has been 100%.

The pistol is snappy and some folks complain that the trigger bits them. I've never had that problem.

Would I buy another? Absolutely. And Ruger's Customer Service is very, very good.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I really like the LCP and carry it everywhere (usually as a BUG).

I decided against the laser for the following reasons:

* It's a belly-gun to me. If I'm pulling the trigger, my target is very close.
    * It's not a home-defense weapon for me.
    * It gets abused, and I want to keep it simple and durable. It's in my back pocket most of the time with my big butt on it.

It's an excellent little pocket-rocket IMHO.

I've got an LCP with no laser. I don't have a need for a laser, but you might.

Mine rides in my pocket as a BUG, or when I'm lounging around the house.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm just the opposite when it comes to lasers. My pocket carry pistol is a Kahr PM9 a little larger than the LCP. The one thing I have noticed is it is very easy to miss with these short barrels. A laser IMO is a must on one of these because I would rather shoot my assaliant at 20' than 2' whenever possible.
    I have lasers on 3 pistols as this is written and although I train mostly with my sights, I know the laser would be indenspensable in a bad situation.
    I don't know if you have lasers on other pistols, but a thought would be to try one and see what works for you.

The LCP is a cool pistol, but it's 200% cooler with a laser.
    Nothing unreal exists

I don't have an LCP, but if I did it would be a used as a BUG or sweat pants pocket for a quick one stop trip to the store when I'm too lazy to get dressed and holster my EDC.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Definitely get the Crimson Trace LaserGuard installed on the LCP. I have one on my Kahr PM9, and it is a blast!

The beauty of the LaserGuard design is that it is all automatic. Just grip the gun, and the laser instantly comes on.

Holsters are easy to find that will fit the gun with the LaserGuard installed. In fact, almost every model of holster from High Noon Holsters is available for use with it.

I have one with the CT laser-great combo with the Desantis pocket holster.

The new S&W Bodyguard 380 is supposed to become available very shortly this summer. It actually comes STANDARD with a laser built right into the frame, as you can see in this photo:

It is made of stainless steel, and has the same Melonite finish that the S&W M&P pistols have.

When I first got my Crimson Trace LaserGuard, I was actually awed by how very bright and big its laser dot is. I had thought that such a tiny unit would put out a weak light.

But that is not at all the case. Its performance is quite impressive to behold. Here is a photo that I took of me holding my PM9 in my hand, to illustrate just how big and bright the dot from the LaserGuard is:

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    On this forum there are those who advocate lasers like the Crimson Trace Laserguard for the LCP or PM9 and those who feel they are not warranted even on a sub-compact CCW gun and somehow erode or lessen your shooting skills, a crutch if you will. As a 35+ year handgun shooter and competitor I say that is prue BS. As long as you have good solid basic handgun skills with iron sights the use of a laser can only help you be a more accurate shooter in almost all cases with these small, short barreled and sight limited handguns. And I will challenge anyone on this forum to a match, you using your LCP or PM9 or other sub-compact with iron sights at 7 yards (6 shot groups for size) and I will use the CT laser equipped handgun……and its for the “pink slips”. Any takers? I can always use another BUG.

And yes the LCP is an outstanding BUG/pocket gun OP. If you want a step up in caliber the PM9 is hard to beat.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I'd go without since the LCP would be a "bad breath" distance gun. When SHTF, the second or two required to find the red dot with your eyes might be too long. Although I'm no expert and have never been in one of those situations, so I'm only speculating.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I'd go without since the LCP would be a "bad breath" distance gun. When SHTF, the second or two required to find the red dot with your eyes might be too long. Although I'm no expert and have never been in one of those situations, so I'm only speculating.
    The laser in no way changes the fact these small belly guns are still basically point and shoot guns. If the threat is within say 10' you don't need any type of sights, it should be just like pointing your finger. There is no searching for the laser.....just point the gun at the target and the laser is there where it needs to be if your mechanics are sound in the first place. At a bit further out say 5-7 yards it helps you place the rounds right where you want them day or night. Where they really are helpful is if you have to shoot from the ground, like you where knock down and have to engage on your side or sitting, or from your back. Or around cover where you can't safely line up iron sights. I have private land I practice on so I can and do practice this all the time. Shooting from cover, around cover, from the ground on my back and side, with weak hand, on the move and so on, and this is where the laser really shines! Static shooting putting holes in paper is good until you have mastered the basics then you need to get "real world" with your practice or you are wasting your time and ammo to a degree. Static shooting makes you stagnate as a shooter if you are not careful and this can be dangerous. If you have to shoot in a static range envoirnment most of the time you are much better off practicing point shooting anyway because is more likely this is what you will need to do in a life or death CCW situation.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links