How do you like your Ruger SR9C?

This is a discussion on How do you like your Ruger SR9C? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Funny how these kinds of threads asking for information specifically from owners of a certain gun get rapidly filled with posts utterly useless to the ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How do you like your Ruger SR9C?

Funny how these kinds of threads asking for information specifically from owners of a certain gun get rapidly filled with posts utterly useless to the thread from people touting their preferences, with no actual experience with the gun the OP was asking about.

Just sayin'.

-JT

2. Remove Ads

I carry an SR9c as my EDC and have shot a couple of IDPA matches with it. I have only had one failure in about 1000 rounds of the cheap walmart federal ammo, and I think that was an ammunition issue as the primer was dented just as much as the spent casings. Great ergonomics, reliable, good trigger, shoots well. I'm a very satisfied customer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Funny how these kinds of threads asking for information specifically from owners of a certain gun get rapidly filled with posts utterly useless to the thread from people touting their preferences, with no actual experience with the gun the OP was asking about.

Just sayin'.

-JT
    So may I ask what you are adding to this thread? Are you an SR9 owner?

Just askin..... 8-)
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    So may I ask what you are adding to this thread? Are you an SR9 owner?

Just askin..... 8-)
    Yes, I am, but not the SR9c.

The SR9c does have an improved trigger over the original SR9. I have a Ghost Rocket installed on my SR9, and that should also fit the SR9c to further improve the trigger.

I've seen some people who've complained about light strikes see improvement after giving the gun a thorough cleaning, including cleaning out the striker channel.

-JT

You can't rank the top three in reliability over the Ruger? I may agree in a "to each his own" with regards to your preferences, but I don't think the Ruger has the reliability of the Glock/XD, or M&P, (yet) for that matter. I have seen for too many "I am sending my SR9 back" complaints as well as "My SR9 is finicky about ammo".
    No, thats right I cant because ive got over 1000 flawless rounds through mine now and thats basically telling me its fine. and go look on every other message board thats specific to that gun..they ALL have problems. I love the M&P also though and it would be a close toss up for me between the 2(Ruger SR9c and a Compact M&P with the thumb safety) id probably take the Ruger but just because of the Ambi controls..if it was only me shooting it or another right hander only shooting it id go with the M&P.

Yes, I am, but not the SR9c.

The SR9c does have an improved trigger over the original SR9. I have a Ghost Rocket installed on my SR9, and that should also fit the SR9c to further improve the trigger.

I've seen some people who've complained about light strikes see improvement after giving the gun a thorough cleaning, including cleaning out the striker channel.

-JT
    Yeah the channel in mine was pretty gummed up after a good cleaning it worked great and ive been good ever since.

I say go for the sr9c because its alot more carry friendly than a boxy Glock at least to me. I have a Glock 26 that stay at home untill winter. my sr9c rides with me everywhere !!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    No, thats right I cant because ive got over 1000 flawless rounds through mine now and thats basically telling me its fine. and go look on every other message board thats specific to that gun..they ALL have problems. I love the M&P also though and it would be a close toss up for me between the 2(Ruger SR9c and a Compact M&P with the thumb safety) id probably take the Ruger but just because of the Ambi controls..if it was only me shooting it or another right hander only shooting it id go with the M&P.
    What do you mean by ambi controls? The M&P's are completely ambi? Good point about the SR9c as I did not know they were ambi.

What do you mean by ambi controls? The M&P's are completely ambi? Good point about the SR9c as I did not know they were ambi.
    Sorry I was not clear...The Rugers are completely ambi..the safety is left and right side and the mag release is also both sides left and right...I cant remember if the M&P's were or not from the times ive shot it(friends that goes to range with me...he had the XD,Steyr,M&P I had the Glock,Ruger SR9c and the snubby, and the Taurus PT99) I just cant remember if the M&P was ambi or not...but it(M&P felt good and shot great) The Glocks shot great were reliable but felt bad in my hand after trying to get used to them I just could not.

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    Sorry I was not clear...The Rugers are completely ambi..the safety is left and right side and the mag release is also both sides left and right...I cant remember if the M&P's were or not from the times ive shot it(friends that goes to range with me...he had the XD,Steyr,M&P I had the Glock,Ruger SR9c and the snubby, and the Taurus PT99) I just cant remember if the M&P was ambi or not...but it(M&P felt good and shot great) The Glocks shot great were reliable but felt bad in my hand after trying to get used to them I just could not.
    On the SR9/c, the mag release is ambidextrous, as is the manual safety. The slide stop/release is set up for right handers only. On the M&P, the slide stop/release is ambidextrous, and I believe the mag release is swappable for left/right hand use.

-JT

I have had 1 for about a month and LOVE it. I put about 800 rounds down range with only a hand full of light strikes, i mean like no more than 5 or so. I have owned an M&P 9c in the past and currently also own an XDm 9 and PF9. The SR9c is an excellent gun and fits my carry rotation very well. I also added the ghost inc 3.5lb connector to my gun as well

On the SR9/c, the mag release is ambidextrous, as is the manual safety. The slide stop/release is set up for right handers only. On the M&P, the slide stop/release is ambidextrous, and I believe the mag release is swappable for left/right hand use.

-JT
    You know what..that really didnt bother me because I dont really use the slide STOP for anything..I use the "slingshot method"...even after 1000+ rounds I still cant use the slide STOP as a release but then I guess its not supposed to actually release the slide anyways....

VIP Member
    Yeah M&P's are like the SR9's they are fully ambi

Yeah M&P's are like the SR9's they are fully ambi
    Then id have to A/B both side by side and in a holster for a day or seven :) to see which I like..the one that "felt" better for CC would win..I cant say which would win because ive never CC a M&P just shot at range..and not a compact it was the regular size(probably duty size im assuming as it was a friends PD issued gun) Im assuming from what I remember from just having both in hand that the Ruger is a bit thinner than the M&P...but not 100% sure..I KNOW its thinner than the Glock and the XD though....while both those are nice CC size they are both chunky.

If you desire either the SR9C or the M&P for the slide safety then you'll prefer the SR9C as its safety is MUCH thinner overall and still very easy to use.
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links