How do you like your Ruger SR9C?

This is a discussion on How do you like your Ruger SR9C? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Take a look at the latest American Handgunner magazine(Sept/Oct issue i think) they have a real nice(and favorable) write up on the SR9c....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How do you like your Ruger SR9C?

Take a look at the latest American Handgunner magazine(Sept/Oct issue i think) they have a real nice(and favorable) write up on the SR9c.

2. Remove Ads

I got an SR9C recently and love it. Feels great in my hand and I have been very accurate with it. no malfunctions

Very Satisfied with the SR9 family

I was stationed in Germany for six years so you can bet that when I came back stateside one of my first purchases was a defensive firearm. I have a wierd method, Igo to a store such as Cabelas and hold as many weapons as I canfirst, find what feels natural in my hand, then go back home and read the reviews and check forums. I feel in love with the SR9 at first hold, when I did my research I heard all about the trigger issues (pre recall), but mine was post recall. Bought it and never looked back, about 700 rounds of various types (FMJ, hollow point, cheap ammo, high quality ammo) and not one jam. Plus you have to love those adjustable sites and capacity!

So when I got my CCH, of course the SR9C was my first option, but sadly always on back order. I went through the same process again of holding and reasearch and got an interim 1911 officers model. Need less to say when I saw an SR9C at a local gunshop I jumped at the chance. I held it in my hand and it felt so natural (other considered weapons were Taurus Milenium, Taurus 709 slim, Springfield XD, Glock 26). But again the SR9C felt like an extension of my arm. Here is what I like about it:
    - The included finger rest (I need to get my pinky on the grip, otherwise it just doesn't feel right).
    - The interoperability of the magzines from my SR9 full size (just doubled my magazine capacity).
    - It conceals great, just as good as my 1911.
    - The load chamber indicator can be easily felt, and seen from a mile away (great for teaching my wife to shoot).
    - Ambidextrous safety and mag release.
    - Adjustable sights.

Plus if you have a full size for home defense and a compact for concealed carry, I do like having the same type as I will drill and drill nto develop my muscle memory. So they are the same functions for both weapons (safety, mag release, sight picture, trigger pull). I would see this as a plus regardless of weapons (Glock, XD, SR9, 1911, etc...).

Nice pistol, I carry it everyday.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Thumbs up Great Gun

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Thinking of trying a Ruger SR9C, I like the 10 and 17 round magazines, the rail on front for accessories. Rugers are high quality guns. I would like input from owners.

I am also thinking of Glock 19 or 26.
    Great compact 9MM gun. I love mine. I carry using a bellyband holster.

I don't know about you OP,but this thread has ME wanting an SR9c.One thing about Ruger,they have A1 customer service.I'd bet if you got one you wouldn't have any issues,but if you did,you'd be taken care of.

I carry the LC9 when going into light territory. I carry the SR9c when I want more firepower. These are both excellent guns, and the SR9c has such a great trigger. It's totally reliable, accurate, ergonomically perfect, but man, that trigger closes the deal.

Note: Removing the magazine disconnect safety on the SR9c is so easy that it's almost negligent on your part if you don't do it. Take off the back plate. Extract the firing pin. Out comes the disconnect. Put the pin back in. Plate on. Done.

If you can clean the gun, you can do it.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Love my SR9c because of the mag capacity, slim width, nice looks and great feel! I would definitely recommend this pistol. I also have a S&W M&Pc and S&W M&P Pro. I have fired over 1,000 rounds in each. All of them have operated flawlessly.

I liked the SR9c enough to buy a second one. Great CC gun.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Thinking of trying a Ruger SR9C, I like the 10 and 17 round magazines, the rail on front for accessories. Rugers are high quality guns. I would like input from owners.

I am also thinking of Glock 19 or 26.
    I *MISS* mine terribly. Financial circumstances led me to trade mine for a PF9 +$200. I love my Pf9 too, but that Sr9c shot like a dream and I loved having 3 17-rounders loaded in my "house-gun" set up. I will buy one again...unless I get the Sr40c :)
    I think I should be able to claim my guns as dependents on my taxes. I have to clothe them, feed them, clean them when they get dirty, keep them safe from bad people...

I am getting closer to the purchase of the SR9C, I have the money and the only thing I still have hesitation about is the thumb safety, I know I can use the gun without it, I just don't like thumb safeties on self-defense pistols.

I just don't like thumb safeties on self-defense pistols.
    A very reasonable (and popular) opinion. Like the guy who buys a Spyderco knife, if you say that on the Internet, you'll get lots of high-fives.

Of course, once you start down that road, we know how it ends up: "I want a double-stack .9mm with no safety, no mag disconnect and no loaded-chamber indicator. It must have a polymer frame, be black, and made in Austria. Preferably with a big square "G" on the side."

The SR9c has a such a light, smooth trigger, that you'd engage the safety when carrying. It's all muscle memory and training. Most of my life I've been a revolver guy and only started carrying semiautos recently, because of the heavier firepower and concealability they afford. For the majority of my gun-owning career, there has been no such thing as "a safety."

What I've found is that grabbing the gun and sweeping my thumb down to disengage the safety becomes such a natural and automatic habit as to negate any fears whatsoever. I keep the safety "off" on the LC9 at all times, and only engage it on the SR9c when carrying - otherwise for HD it's "off," too. Still, that sweeping check is automatic regardless. You don't even notice you're doing it.

This was a very serious concern of mine, back when I was considering trying semiautos. Last thing I wanted was to be some turkey squeezing a locked trigger at The Moment of Truth. In practice, I've found that this isn't a concern at all. It's certainly no deal-breaker. What matters more is ergonomics and reliability. The Rugers pass those tests with flying colors.
    surefire7 and NIS350ZTT like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Thumbs up SR9c....love it!

I have had my stainless SR9c since June 2010. I love the fit and the finish of the pistol, my hands just seem to mold around it...very comfortable. I have put over 2000 rounds of various manufacturers (Rem UMC, Federal, WWB, Magtech, PMC, Speer) downrange, without a single hiccup, belch, problem....nada, zilch....it just works...very well.

I believe that a thorough field strip/clean/lube, including the striker channel area, prior to initial use is the key to my success. There are tech videos on Ruger's website that illustrate how to care for your pistol. IF you do have problems, Ruger customer service is second to none in taking good care of the customer.

YMMV,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I like mine.

No issues, whatsoever. I still prefer a GLOCK, but the little SR9c is a good pistol........

Count me in as another very satisfied SR9c owner. Small enough to carry, big enough to fight with. I LIKE the loaded chamber indicator and manual safety. The trigger is good. I removed the magazine disconnect right after I got home with it. Close to 300 rounds have been fired fired so far. All but 50 of them were reloads. All were flawless. This gun is accurate and felt recoil feels just like a full size gun. This is serious bang for your buck. The shop I bought it from had this for $395 (before tax).

Manufactured in April 2011, purchased in July 2011.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links