How do you like your Ruger SR9C?

This is a discussion on How do you like your Ruger SR9C? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking of trying a Ruger SR9C, I like the 10 and 17 round magazines, the rail on front for accessories. Rugers are high quality guns. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How do you like your Ruger SR9C?

Thinking of trying a Ruger SR9C, I like the 10 and 17 round magazines, the rail on front for accessories. Rugers are high quality guns. I would like input from owners.

I am also thinking of Glock 19 or 26.

Wow, I am surprised not many Ruger SR9C owners. I guess that answers my question.

I think it you wait, you will get some positive responses from some owners.

GM
    I am not a Glock lover, I am a SA guy, but I should get the G19 (or the G26). I strongly dislike the Ruger's trigger. I am sure that the SR9 series is perhaps a good firearms for money, but IMO you can get much better guns for about the same amount of money or perhaps a little more. You get what you pay for.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Patience, Rock, Patience!!!!

You may be better served on the Ruger forum, but here's my input. I really, really like the gun. The trigger is clean and crisp, the frame is nice and slim, and light @ only 25 oz., and it certainly has firepower with 17 rounds. Accuracy is outstanding!

Here's the negative: I have had failures to fire because of light strikes, particularly with ammo known to have hard primers. Up until today, this happened only with Wolf brand primers in my reloads.

Today I fired my Sig 250 side by side with the SR9c; same ammo primed WW, and the SR9c had a failure to fire rate of approx. 5 out of every 10 rounds. The Sig had a total of two FTFs. 50 rounds fired through each gun. I have been reloading for about 40 years, and never had a problem with failure to fire or anything else!

Wolf has acknowledged to me that they had issues with small pistol primers in certain guns, and has reimbursed me for their cost. But, I believe a gun should shoot all ammo regardless, and the fact that the Sigs failure rate was considerably lower, (4% as apposed to the Ruger's 50%) tells a great deal.

The gun has been flawless with factory ammo.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I bought one a few weeks ago at the gunshow. I was there on a mission for another gun but didn't find what I was looking for. Out of curiosity I picked up an SR9c not really knowing anything about it. My first impression was "wow, this really feels good". I really never buy anything on impulse, but I had to have this gun. Brand new, $385 out the door it doesn't set me back too much, so I took it home with me. Got it all cleaned up and next day headed to the range. I put 150 rounds through it that day and I couldn't have been happier. The trigger was crisp and broke clean, it was plenty accurate, and was quick for me to get back on target. I've since put another 500 rounds (all reloads) through it and have not had any sort of failure at all. Went ahead and bought a CBST for it and it has worked its way into the carry rotation. For me, the SR9c has been a great impulse buy, and I would recommend it based on my experience with it. Now, if I could only find that darn Colt I was after!

I went to the store looking at a handful of compacts. I handled alot of guns that day, but the ruger would not fit in my hand. It was so bad that I almost dropped it just trying to work the slide release. For some reason the bottom of the handle would not rest in the fat part of my palm and just wanted to eject the gun out of my hand... I held the gun for about a minute and got nervious enough to hand it back to the guy with 2 hands because I really thought I was going to drop it. It sounds crazy I know, I liked the gun and kind of wanted until I held it... I couldn't imagine what would happen if it actually was to shoot it. Some things just weren't to be... I walked out the store that day with a 709slim and it feels very comfortable to hold...

Good luck, I think its a nice gun but pick it up and make sure you don't have the problem I had...

I love mine, I upgraded(traded in the Glock 23) from a Glock 23 to the Ruger Sr9c and loved the trade...Its been reliable through over 1000 rounds now. People that try to compare the SR9 and the SR9c Trigger are truly clueless as they put a totally NEW trigger in the SR9c(and are fitting that into the NEW SR9's now also) which is a decent trigger. Mine broke at what my Glocks did(6.5 pounds on a trigger scale) I love the way it fits in my hand not a brick like the Glock was. Its thinner than the glock and conceals better than the Glock 23 did . Its been just as accurate as the Glock 23 was. I feel its one of the best compact 9mm's on the market..the only ones id look at in comparison is the M&P and if it was still in the market the Steyr. I like the XD but in comparison its a bit too chunky..id not turn it down but its jut more chunky for IWB(thats all I do for cc is IWB) CC.

there are a few defunct ones that id love also but as I said no longer made and harder to find...stuff like the S&W 3913 id love and compare to the SR9c probably take over it IF they were still in production...but they are not so at $400 the SR9c won :) .

I have had one for a couple of weeks now. 250+ rds through it and not a single problem.
    My first three rounds where dead on right out of the box at 10 yds. (and I'm not the best shot )

Small enough to carry but large enough to fill my hands, good fit.

I looked at Kahr but the finish and feel of the Ruger was best (My thoughts only).

I'm waiting till Ruger comes out with the same in 40 S&W to buy another!!!

Lateck,

I've had two of them. First one sent back for barrel peening and all they did was replace the barrel, not fix the peening. Took it back to LGS and now I have my second one, this one is perfect. Very accurate and I love the trigger, optional 17 rounder is a plus. Do it!!
    HK: P30 v3
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

Quote Originally Posted by Lateck View Post
    I have had one for a couple of weeks now. 250+ rds through it and not a single problem.
    My first three rounds where dead on right out of the box at 10 yds. (and I'm not the best shot )

Small enough to carry but large enough to fill my hands, good fit.

I looked at Kahr but the finish and feel of the Ruger was best (My thoughts only).

I'm waiting till Ruger comes out with the same in 40 S&W to buy another!!!

Lateck,
    yup, I live the size I cant even think of what to compare it too...its in between say a Glock 19 and 26 size but thinner..grips a tad bit longer than the 26 just enough that I can get ALL my fingers on it just fine(no pinky hanging) but the slide is more glock 19 size as far as length goes...and thinner all around in slide and grips..dont let the(IMO) messed up "width" info you see in the official stats fool ya. they are taken from the outside of the safety NOT the slide/grips..its quite a bit thinner than the Glock/XD/M&P actually...im GUESSING 1911 thinness???

VIP Member
    To me Ruger makes good firearms, but I would consider the SR9 in the 4th position behind M&P, Glock, XD. I would rather own any of those top three polymers and spend a couple more bucks in doing so.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have an Sr9c and use it as my EDC. I love it and chose it over an xd because of the rear safety (my preferance) and weight. I also have a full size M&P 9 but chose the SR9C over getting a compact M&P because of width. I love my SR9C and would get it in a 40 if they made one.
    MASSIVE likes this.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    To me Ruger makes good firearms, but I would consider the SR9 in the 4th position behind M&P, Glock, XD. I would rather own any of those top three polymers and spend a couple more bucks in doing so.

Mine its a toss up..I put Glock in last for me because of again to me bad ergonomics but they are all reliable and I DONT think you really get any "more" of a gun nor is one really any more reliable than one another. so I say its a tie and get what you like and fits your style/hand/shooting style best. I happen to like stuff that has a thumb safety and being ambidextrous(as my son is a lefty) is just a added bonus..I know the Ruger offers both those options stock with no changing or special ordering thats why it was so attractive to me...glock offers no safeties other than the "trigger" one and is not ambi on the mag catch/release....I know the XD's ive shot have the backstrap safety but no thumb safety(dont know if its available or not) and the M&P has a safety(thumb) available but dont know if it or the XD have ambi mag releases.. I do know the Ruger does though..thats how/why I decided to ge the Ruger..so my Lefty son could have a good/fun time shooting it also.

All that said they are all good reliable guns I cant really rank any "ahead" of another on their reliability just on the available options or lack there of.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    Mine its a toss up..I put Glock in last for me because of again to me bad ergonomics but they are all reliable and I DONT think you really get any "more" of a gun nor is one really any more reliable than one another. so I say its a tie and get what you like and fits your style/hand/shooting style best. I happen to like stuff that has a thumb safety and being ambidextrous(as my son is a lefty) is just a added bonus..I know the Ruger offers both those options stock with no changing or special ordering thats why it was so attractive to me...glock offers no safeties other than the "trigger" one and is not ambi on the mag catch/release....I know the XD's ive shot have the backstrap safety but no thumb safety(dont know if its available or not) and the M&P has a safety(thumb) available but dont know if it or the XD have ambi mag releases.. I do know the Ruger does though..thats how/why I decided to ge the Ruger..so my Lefty son could have a good/fun time shooting it also.

All that said they are all good reliable guns I cant really rank any "ahead" of another on their reliability just on the available options or lack there of.
    You can't rank the top three in reliability over the Ruger? I may agree in a "to each his own" with regards to your preferences, but I don't think the Ruger has the reliability of the Glock/XD, or M&P, (yet) for that matter. I have seen for too many "I am sending my SR9 back" complaints as well as "My SR9 is finicky about ammo".
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links