Help me pick one;browning hi power or CZ 75 PCR?

This is a discussion on Help me pick one;browning hi power or CZ 75 PCR? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm kind of torn as to which of these I should get for HD/carry 9mm? The CZ fits my hand well,but the same can be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick one;browning hi power or CZ 75 PCR?

Help me pick one;browning hi power or CZ 75 PCR?

I'm kind of torn as to which of these I should get for HD/carry 9mm? The CZ fits my hand well,but the same can be said for the browning to.

I've owned a hi power mark III and am still kicking myself for selling it all these years later. I know a hi power conceals well but the CZ seems like it would also.

I've never owned/shot a CZ but have read nothing but good things about CZ's in general,but for those here who own a PCR how would you rate it as a HD/carry gun for a compact 9mm?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member
    Hi Powers sometimes need a bit of work to function with most ammo. CZ's work out of the box. Go with the CZ.

Neither of the models you specify are "compact". And if you're going to carry a full-frame steel semi-auto, why stop at 9mm? Why not carry a .45 ACP?

I have a Tanfoglio Witness in .45 ACP, which is basically a CZ-75 clone in the larger caliber. It's a great gun and maybe a better solution than a 9mm?

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    If you don't mind the frame size, they're both fine guns. As stated though, the 75 will generally eat anything you put in it, and the ergos are as good if not slightly better. The 75 is scary accurate too.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I have both, and, if I were to have only one of the two, it would be the Hi-Power. CZ's an excellent choice, though.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Both guns are classics but I give the edge to the Hi Power.

I have a CZ75BD and like it very much but the only handgun that rates higher than a Hi Power is one of the high end 1911's.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

GM
    My EDC is a HP, and I own CZ too. The CZ are very good pistols, but I consider that the HP are much better firearms. IMO, the HP along with the 1911 are perhaps the best pistols ever made. I should go for the HP without even thinking about it.
    Last edited by GM; July 10th, 2010 at 10:50 AM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The HP is an awesome pistol. If I see one in the case when I go for my next pistol purchase, I just may come home with one over another 1911. That's a fair trade off in my opinion... If it was me, I'd get the HP. Awesome firearm IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Yeah guys I was/am leaning towards the hi power. I'm curious though as to why some say hi powers need work to feed some ammo?

My mark III hi power fed anything and everything I fed it. I think the hi power is maybe the best 9mm pistol ever made. But I'm intrigued with the CZ's as well. I also figure with a gun roughly the same size/weight as a 1911 I can carry double the ammo on board,which is a plus IMO.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I can't comment on the Hi-Power, never owned one. I have owned CZ pistols. My vote is with CZ.

I own a PCR, carries easily and it's a tack driver.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Absolutely the Hi-Power
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Yeah guys I was/am leaning towards the hi power. I'm curious though as to why some say hi powers need work to feed some ammo?

My mark III hi power fed anything and everything I fed it. I think the hi power is maybe the best 9mm pistol ever made. But I'm intrigued with the CZ's as well. I also figure with a gun roughly the same size/weight as a 1911 I can carry double the ammo on board,which is a plus IMO.
    I cannot answer your question. I have a Hi-Power Standard 9mm, and it has always worked flawless from day 1. I do not even know anymore how many rounds it has; I do not know, perhaps 3500 - 4000+. My range ammo is Federal American Eagle 115gr and 124gr, and the SD ammo is Corbon DPX 115gr; the HP loves them. I also shot a few boxes of Federal ammo from WW (115gr), and it worked flawless too. I like the CZ, they are very good weapons, but the HP is awesome. After I got the HP the CZ became a safe queen.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If you can find a vintage Hi Power I'd go with it. I recently picked up a Hi Power made in 1969. It's finished with a beautiful deep blue not paint and has a forged frame, not a cast one. The workmanship is flawless and unlike the Mk III's of today, this one was made and assembled in Belguim.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    If you can find a vintage Hi Power I'd go with it. I recently picked up a Hi Power made in 1969. It's finished with a beautiful deep blue not paint and has a forged frame, not a cast one. The workmanship is flawless and unlike the Mk III's of today, this one was made and assembled in Belguim.
    You are a lucky guy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links