Anyone try this on their 1911?

This is a discussion on Anyone try this on their 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tactical Systems and tactical field gear for law enforcement, military and civilians I have a full size Colt Series 80 1911 that I am going ...

Thread: Anyone try this on their 1911?

Anyone try this on their 1911?

Tactical Systems and tactical field gear for law enforcement, military and civilians

I have a full size Colt Series 80 1911 that I am going to put on night stand duty once I purchase and start carrying my SA Operator. I'd like to have a light on my night stand gun but but the colt doesn't have a rail. Has anyone tried this after market rail?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I haven't tried one, haven't even seen one until now, but I find it quite interesting.

I really, really like WMLs on night stand guns. I had an experience at night once and realized just how difficult it is to acquire a gun and separate flashlight in a hurry. Funny, that night I had a WML on a 1911 I had built and the gun was up and light on as fast as could be. It was the next morning I realized how much more complicated it would have been to manage the gun and a separate light.

You just might be on to something here!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

$180 is a lot to spend on a piece of mall ninja equipment. i wouldn't do it.

gun in one hand, light in the other.

Senior Moderator
    Again all due respect Don, a WML on a night stand is far from mall ninja equipment. That may just be my opinion, but it's based on tons of training, real-world FOF scenarios, and experience.

Just think about opening a door with a light in one hand and a gun in the other, or try to guide a child, dog, or spouse with both hands tied up.

I think what many people over look is just how complex it is to grab a gun and a light in the dark when you've just awakened from a bump in the night, and then get both the gun and the light oriented and the light turned on.

How would you dial 911 holding a gun in one hand and a flashlight in the other? I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is clearly something that needs to be practiced more than having one hand free of 'light' duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Again all due respect Don, a WML on a night stand is far from mall ninja equipment. That may just be my opinion, but it's based on tons of training, real-world FOF scenarios, and experience.

Just think about opening a door with a light in one hand and a gun in the other, or try to guide a child, dog, or spouse with both hands tied up.

I think what many people over look is just how complex it is to grab a gun and a light in the dark when you've just awakened from a bump in the night, and then get both the gun and the light oriented and the light turned on.

How would you dial 911 holding a gun in one hand and a flashlight in the other? I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is clearly something that needs to be practiced more than having one hand free of 'light' duty.
    ^^^This^^^

+1

Especially if everything ends "well" with the BG on the ground and you calling the Police. You'll appreciate that extra hand AND the fact that you have the option to activate one-handed illumination.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

at that price, i'd rather buy another gun with a rail....

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    LOL! My kind of thinking!

I have to agree with that. It's one of the reasons I finally bought a couple of Glock 19's, one of which sits on my night stand every night, with a mounted Surefire X300. My 1911's are free of rails, however, as I don't want a light on my carry weapon, and I carry a little Surefire G2 LED around.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

I remember seing a rail that was screwed to the frame

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    $180 gets you quite a ways toward an additional gun w/ a rail.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

This would be a much better option...

NOVAK 1911 TACTICAL LIGHT RAIL

Links