Kahr MK40 for EDC

Kahr MK40 for EDC

This is a discussion on Kahr MK40 for EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Previously, my only carry gun was my Glock 30. It's a fantasic gun. I have zero complaints as it's accurtae, reliable and just fun to ...

Kahr MK40 for EDC

Previously, my only carry gun was my Glock 30. It's a fantasic gun. I have zero complaints as it's accurtae, reliable and just fun to shoot. I have carried this gun for 5 months off and on when I "felt like it". I carry it at 4 o'clock with a very aggressive foward cant. Very little printing. In PA printing doesn't matter anyway. It was fine while standng or walking. But when it came time to sit, drive, ride in a car, run, bend down, or basically do anything other than standing or walking, it became uncomfortable.

My quest began for a "pocket gun". I REALLY REALLY wish Glock made something even smaller than the G26. Glock's are just too chunky for pocket carry. I looked at about every .380 known to man and debated whether or not to get an LCP. But I've read mixed reviews on LCP's. Plus being a ".45 guy" I just didn't feel comfortable with .380 protecting me.

A guy at work has a PM9 and wanted to replace it with a bigger caliber, and got an MK40 with Crimson Trace grips because he found it used with a good price. He decided it was too heavy and decided to stick with the poly PM9. The MK40 is a heavy little guy for it's size. But it's small enought to fit in my pocket :) So, the price was right, it's in a strong caliber close to .45 and it's small enough for pocket carry. Sold!

Many think the MK40 is too heavy for pocket carry. Yeah, it's a bit heavy, but FAR more comfortable than some hunk of gun stuffed in my wasteband in 90-100 degree weather, and espeically while driving. I drive ALOT. I love my car and just go for drives so comfort while driving is a MUST! And the main reason I want to pocket carry is just simplicity and ease. I have a Fobus paddle holster for my G30 that is comfortable that will likely get use in jeans/jacket weather :) And I don't want to OC. Not against it, but I'm just not for me. I don't want to attention.

Haven't shot it yet, but I understand it's a handful. Not only because .40 is a snappy rounnd to begin with but this gun is tiny. Thankfully it's got some weight to it. I didn't get it for being "fun to shoot". I bought some Winchester PDX1 165gr rounds. They're close to the Ranger T's I load in my USP and the DPX I carry in the Glock is hard to find in stores.

Anyway, just felt like posting my little story and sharing :)

I have an XD9sc and MK9 Elite for EDC duties. If the muzzle flip of the MK40 is bothering you, I suggest having it Magnaported. I have been thinking about this procedure for both as it eases follow-up shots and increases their accuracy.

Congrats on the MK though as they are very nice.

9mm version of your gun...

I have the identical size 9mm Kahr MK9, and have carried it a fair amount in the appendix position on my belt, inside the waistband. Although it is small enough to fit easily in my pocket, it is a little heavy for that use (weighs about 25 ounces). But it has several advantages over the lighter weight polymer Kahrs, including less recoil and greater ease holding on target.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

It is heavy, but I've carried in in my right front pocket for two days. After a bit, I forget it's there. Easy to draw out of my pockets and my cheap pocket holster does what it's supposed to :)

I REALLY wish Glock could make something this small. I love my Glock's. This tiny little MK40 is almost as heavy as my full size USP and heavier than my Glock 30. But so far the weight doesn't bother me. If it doesn't begin to grow annoying, which I doubt, I can always trade it for a PM40. I'd love a PM45, but they're just a tad big to fit in my front pocket.

I'm just glad I found something this cheap in a powerful caliber that is almost as small as a .380 :)

Links