FN Five-Seven

This is a discussion on FN Five-Seven within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was looking around and stumbled on the FN Five-Seven. It seems to good to be true, but don't see to much chatter about it. Does ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FN Five-Seven

FN Five-Seven

Was looking around and stumbled on the FN Five-Seven. It seems to good to be true, but don't see to much chatter about it. Does anybody have this? Tell me, tell me?

2. Remove Ads

There are some who say the availability of ammo could be a problem. Especially years from now if it doesn't gain more popularity.

I do find it to be an interesting gun with a high capacity of rounds.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Senior Moderator
    Well, I've never been real impressed with it, but then I shot my cousin's. I mean WOW! it was like shooting a .22. Recoil compared to my 9mm was just almost non-existent.

Then there's what, 20 rounds in the mag? Plus I was told that there's a round that's legal for the FN Five-seven that will defeat body armor. Can't confirm that, but if true, that'd sure be and advantage if the BGs had body armor on.

I thought the gun shot well, was accurate and fast due to the very light recoil.

I've been tempted to get one on a number of occassions but have been able to resist so far. Your inquiry ain't helpin' a bit!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Nice gun. Fun to shoot. Jury is still out on real world effectiveness of the round from a pistol.
    Quite pricey last time I looked too.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Nice gun. Fun to shoot. Jury is still out on real world effectiveness of the round from a pistol....
    Yeah, that kinda nags at me too. My cousin, a deputy sheriff carried it on drug raids because they sometimes encountered druggies with armor. Of course the first choice was a long gun, but not always available, hence I guess, next best thing was to put a bunch of little holes in the BG if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Quite pricey last time I looked too....
    I don't remember a thing about the price now, but that may have been another factor in my decision not to buy.

I don't think any civilian can by the armor piercing ammo, there are only two commercial rounds that I have seen. 50 rounds are $25-$30, I talk with a guy who has shot and killed a coyote with one shot at 40 yards, he likes for it for a hiking gun, said he would not use it for self-defence.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I don't think any civilian can by the armor piercing ammo, there are only two commercial rounds that I have seen. 50 rounds are $25-$30, I talk with a guy who has shot and killed a coyote with one shot at 40 yards, he likes for it for a hiking gun, said he would not use it for self-defence.
    That's correct.

I forget who told me about the round, but it was not an 'armor piercing' round per se. As I recall, ahhhh, I remember who it was, it was a guy in the gun store where I bought my M&P full size .45. I mentioned it would be nice if civies could buy ammo for a 5.7 that would penetrate body armor. He showed me some ammo, that was legal, and had been shown to penetrate a vest.

VIP Member
    It its very limited real-world use, the 5.7 has (unfortunately) proven to be deadly, if not an effective "fight stopper."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    It its very limited real-world use, the 5.7 has (unfortunately) proven to be deadly, if not an effective "fight stopper."
    Wasn't that what was used at Ft. Hood?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Yes, that was what I was getting at. Thirteen killed and 30 wounded with a Five-seveN. Pretty high fatality rate for a handgun round, though the nature of the shooting played a very large part in that as well.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    If it cost $450-600, like lots of other very good pistols, I would buy one. No way I am paying $1000.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I bought one for a low price at a gun show. I'm not sure I'd buy one for full retail. Ammo is plentiful and goes for $17-18 per box in bulk.

The gun is high quality, very well made, recoil is low, accuracy is good. The round is a good home defence round due to it's penetration characteristics and ease of use. I'd have no problem leaving this gun in my wife's hands for self defence.

I don't pay any attention to the armour talk. I don't use or buy other guns based on ability to defeat body armour, this one is no exception. It's a blast to shoot.

Here's an interesting gell test;
    SS195 FMJ and SS197 ballistic tip (bare and heavy clothing)

Here's another;
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page1078.htm

I don't know if I would want give the DA something as good as "used in the Fort Hood shooting" if I did ever have to use my weapon to defend myself or mine.

I'm not really against it, I believe it could fill any HD/SD role well. I just like sticking to more common ammo types.

Quote Originally Posted by Spander View Post
    I don't know if I would want give the DA something as good as "used in the Fort Hood shooting" if I did ever have to use my weapon to defend myself or mine.

I'm not really against it, I believe it could fill any HD/SD role well. I just like sticking to more common ammo types.
    As long as your involved in a legal shooting it wouldn't matter if it were a .22 or a 12 ga. You used what you had available to defend your self from a deadly threat.

The best gel performance I've seen from a 5.7 was a 45gr DPX that had a similar wound cavity to .380 fmj. Better than nothing, but far from ideal.

The Ft. Hood shooting only proves that unarmed people in confined spaces don't stand a chance against an armed criminal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links