Advice Sought

Advice Sought

This is a discussion on Advice Sought within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; im a 24 year old male, about 6ft3, and im looking for a CCW pistol. i have my eye on a glock 23, but id ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Sought

Advice Sought

im a 24 year old male, about 6ft3, and im looking for a CCW pistol.

i have my eye on a glock 23, but id like to ask the guys here for there opinions on this or other guns.

i also have huge gorilla hands.

any help is appreciated.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My recomendation is shoot a fiew different brands and go with what suits you the best , nothing wrong with glocks good reliable pistols that dont fit my hand so they dont point well for me . Springfield xd points a bit better bit still thick thro the slide , 1911 with flat housing and long trigger better yet lol . I carry a Kahr because the thinness and weigh of the p series is just too dammed handy .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    The best thing you can do is find a buddy with a lot of guns or, better yet, a range that rents handguns. Spend some time shooting as many as you can to get the feel for them and see what fits you best.

As for suggestions, Glocks are good for big hands if you can stand the "brick" feel. Rugers are also good. The P-85/89/90/etc series if you like full size autos. If you are a revolver person, I'm partial to the SP101. Others are going to suggest Sig, HK, and various other makes where I have little experience. Goes back to try as many as you can.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Glock good gun. But I would agree with the suggestion that you find a gun range that allows you to rend several weapons and test them out to see which fits you personally. Yes the FBI (and a number of other of federal, state, county and municipal agencies) issue the Glock 23, but it might not be right for you personally. Have fun.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Shoot as many different guns as you can get your hands on

Its all personal preference i have carried a glock , 1911's XD's and wheelies ...As for sigs they just don't work for me

Welcome to the forum Nihilist. As has been previously stated, go to a shop/range that will let you rent & shoot different types of guns. Try both revolvers and semi-autos of calibers from about 9mm through 45 acp, single and double action. Take your time looking and if you find something of interest get back to us for more discussion.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

look at the glock 22 (40) and the glock 30 (45). they might fit the bill. find a range that has lots of guns. try them out, then look at the colt 45 acp, it allways fits.

Assistant Administrator
    Hi and -

Plenty of good advice most of which try every darned gun you can lay hands on!!

I will say tho from my experience and I have large hands - a full size double stacker might help. My 226 with CT grips is for me the cat's miaow for grip feel and fit. Plenty of choices might fit that bill.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Some suggestions:
    Kahr PM9
    Sig 239
    Para CCW745S
    FNP-9 (16+1) or FNP-9M (15+1) (larger in size but great shooter
    MY GUN, MY RIGHT!!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    How experienced are you with firearms? If you are a novice, I wouldn't suggest the Glock. Your mind and your trigger finger are your safety and Glocks can be unforgiving. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying experienced shooters and other types of pistols are not prone to negligent discharge. Just my .02 and something to think about.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I recently went through the same thing. I was looking for a 9mm because I could practice often and I believe the 9mm to be perfectly adequate for seld defense. I had narrowed my choices to the GLOCK 26 (subcompact 9mm) and the SIG 239 (their single stack 9/40/357).

I chose the GLOCK 26. Here is what I like about it. It's never malfunctioned. It's light weight and accurate. Ammo capacity for the size is quite high. It's simple to operate and simple to disassemble/clean.

That being said I have decided to sell it and plan to have 2 other pistols for my carry needs. I have chosen the Kahr PM40 as my primary carry gun and here is why. I find the grip to be much more comfortable. The thinner grip means that it will be much easier to conceal and I will be more likely to carry all of the time. While I like the 9mm, I was able to fire the 3" 40 PM40 with no more difficulty than the GLOCK in 9mm. Also I can manipulate the controls without shifting my grip. Plus I want to be abble to pocket carry and with the Kahr it is quite comfortable to stuff it in my pocket. With the GLOCK it feels like there is a brick in my pocket and its way too obvious.

The other pistol I have chosen is a SIG 220, 45acp. I'll carry the SIG when dress permits. I personally believe the GLOCK is a great pisrol. Especially for beginners due to the simplicity of operation and consistent trigger pull. It is also my opinion that SIG makes a higher quality handgun that is more comfortable and fun to shoot. The SIG 220 is a fullsize, single stack 8+1, 45acp handgun. The 220 can be had in SIGs legendary DA/SA trigger. This trigger has an initial pull of 10lbs while the following pulls are 4.5lbs. There is also a silky smooth DAO trigger system named DAK. Sig also offers most of their guns in SAO, like a 1911. I personally have never seen a SAO SIG but others have said the triggers are sweet.

For concealed carry you can't go wrong with the GLOCK. But I much prefer SIG or Kahr.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    If you have big hands, be sure to try the Glock before you buy. I had a G23 that I got rid of because my trigger finger rubbed so hard against the trigger guard that it broke the skin. The small trigger guard just wasn't right for my hands.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I have 2 Glocks, a 19 and a 26. Since Vegas summers are hou, the 26 has become my carry gun, as it will fit in my front pocket. Glocks are good guns, and I consider then to be fun to shoot. Another choice to consider, especially due to your hand size, is the Springfield Armory XD line. You can get 9mm,40, or 45 ACP. I bought the 45 a few weeks ago, and I've fallen in love. It's a polymer gun, has a similar trigger safety to the Glock, plus a grip safety. And the 45 gives you 13+1 capacity. So, after reading all of these suggestions, you're probably totally confused. That will teach you to ask us for advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker
    I have 2 Glocks, a 19 and a 26. Since Vegas summers are hou, the 26 has become my carry gun, as it will fit in my front pocket. Glocks are good guns, and I consider then to be fun to shoot. Another choice to consider, especially due to your hand size, is the Springfield Armory XD line. You can get 9mm,40, or 45 ACP. I bought the 45 a few weeks ago, and I've fallen in love. It's a polymer gun, has a similar trigger safety to the Glock, plus a grip safety. And the 45 gives you 13+1 capacity. So, after reading all of these suggestions, you're probably totally confused. That will teach you to ask us for advice!
    first off, thanks everyone for all the advice, its exactly what i was looking for. this is the gun im going to be trusting my life with for the next 4+ years, so id rather have too much info than not enough any day.

im going to be heading down to the range before i buy for sure. my buddy just told me that the glock 23 was too small for him [his pinky dangled off the edge] and hes a much smaller guy than i am. however, thats why they have extensions :) .

ive been looking around at the other glock suggestions, and it looks like itll be an all day trip haha. i always disliked glock because of the gangsta image it has from rap music, i might be a convert though.

ill research that springfield right now. cant argue with 14 .45s.

If you are looking for a little gun that fits big hands fine I suggest the XD-9 Subcompact (with the Pearce magazine plate added). Very accurate and reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links