Smith & Wesson M&P handguns

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson M&P handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey everyone, have a few questions regarding S&W's M&P line of handguns.is it fair to say the 9mm compact is very close in specs to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P handguns

Smith & Wesson M&P handguns

hey everyone, have a few questions regarding S&W's M&P line of handguns.is it fair to say the 9mm compact is very close in specs to the Glock26 ?.. also,would the M&P 9 (not compact version) be closer to the G19 or G17's specs? seems most who own a M&P have high regard and highly recommend them..why arn't they mentioned more often on here?

2. Remove Ads

The M&P9c is closer in size to a g26 than a g19. The standard M&P9 is closer to a g17 than a g19.

I think more people on here have experience with glocks and XDs when it comes to striker fired pistols. The M&P has a pretty crappy trigger out of the box, but it smooths up after break in and is easily workable with proper trigger control. If one desires, a vastly better trigger can be had utilizing parts from Apex Tactical. My compact 9 has just teh sear from apex, and my fullsize 9 has the whole Duty/Carry action enhancement kit. Both are better than any glock or XD I've fired, and I'd but the fullsize's trigger up against any striker fired gun with a trigger suitable for carry.

Other than the trigger I don't know of any complaints. There were some hiccups in the very early pistols, that's been solved now. Some (me) prefer a more aggressive texture on the grip, which can be done by stippling (permanent) or the addition of griptape. The design is essentially a glock with improvements glock is too stubborn to make, namely a grip that fits normal people's hand at an angle that doesn't cause them to shoot high.

Senior Moderator
    The M&P full size has the same grip length as a G17; the M&P barrel looks to be about a 1/4" shorter than the G17; the sight radius is pretty much the same.

I didn't notice the trigger being any harder to pull in my M&P 9mm than a G17, but my M&P .45 pull is heavier. I expect that to lessen as I shoot it.

Oh, BTW, I find I can shoot my M&P 9 as, or more, accurately than any gun I've ever shot and I dearly love Glocks, Sigs, and 1911s. I've been carrying my M&P 9mm a lot lately.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have the M&P9 compact. Great gun, no problems at all. If your in a free state the M&P9 has 12+1 vs Glock 26 10+1. Mine only has 10+1. Plus they always seem to have a rebate for 2 free magazines. So you get 4 mags with the gun. I think the gun is 3/8" longer than a Glock 26 (better sight radius) and 2 oz heavier. Grip length is the same. The M&P will fit in my pockets, but is to heavy for it; same with Glock 26.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    I have the M&P9 compact. Great gun, no problems at all. If your in a free state the M&P9 has 12+1 vs Glock 26 10+1. Mine only has 10+1. Plus they always seem to have a rebate for 2 free magazines. So you get 4 mags with the gun. I think the gun is 3/8" longer than a Glock 26 (better sight radius) and 2 oz heavier. Grip length is the same. The M&P will fit in my pockets, but is to heavy for it; same with Glock 26.

Well, your M&P compact only holds 10+1 because you live in a state that limits mag capacity to only 10. The gun normally holds 12 in all the states that don't have magazine restrictions.

S&W is currently offering customers who buy from now through October 3rd this year the choice of either a $50 rebate check, or two free magazines.

The magazines are actually the better deal, since two magazines normally costs more than $50.

That's what he meant about living in a free state; one in which they don't arbitrarily bust you down to 10 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    hey everyone, have a few questions regarding S&W's M&P line of handguns.is it fair to say the 9mm compact is very close in specs to the Glock26 ?.. also,would the M&P 9 (not compact version) be closer to the G19 or G17's specs? seems most who own a M&P have high regard and highly recommend them..why arn't they mentioned more often on here?
    It's just that there are so many Glocks out there. M&P is on the upswing, though, so you'll hear more and more about them. I certainly will be picking up a pair of these very soon (full size 9mm).
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Well, your M&P compact only holds 10+1 because you live in a state that limits mag capacity to only 10. The gun normally holds 12 in all the states that don't have magazine restrictions.

S&W is currently offering customers who buy from now through October 3rd this year the choice of either a $50 rebate check, or two free magazines.

The magazines are actually the better deal, since two magazines normally costs more than $50.
    Be warned the mags they send you are full sized mags. This means if you have a compact, youll be getting a longer mag than youre used to.

(its what they sent me)

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    Be warned the mags they send you are full sized mags. This means if you have a compact, youll be getting a longer mag than youre used to.

(its what they sent me)
    Not me. When I got mine, you had to put a check mark in the space for whichever gun you purchased. I checked 9c and I got the mags for the compact.
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

Quote Originally Posted by eethomas View Post
    Not me. When I got mine, you had to put a check mark in the space for whichever gun you purchased. I checked 9c and I got the mags for the compact.
    Wow, thats bull! I def checked the compact and got large (albeit still max 10 capacity) mags... That sucks for me =(

Glad to hear its not all of them.

VIP Member
    I have the M&P9c

You will love these firearms. They are just like the others are saying
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I love my M&P9c. I actually just got it to replace my XD9sc.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

I used to own two Glocks. I now own five M&P's. I never looked back... End of story.

My M&P stable:
    • M&P40 FS
    • M&P357 FS
    • M&P9c
    • M&P9 Pro Series (x2)
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post

He covered that if you would actually read his post.

VIP Member
    M&Ps are very nice pistols. I had about 6k through my M&P 40. I sold it to buy a race gun....I'm an idiot.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links