Please identify this gun from tonights "COPS"

This is a discussion on Please identify this gun from tonights "COPS" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While watching COPS tonight there was a segment on a shooting. Shooting suspect, who was a CCW permit holder, allegedly shot a man in his ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please identify this gun from tonights "COPS"

Please identify this gun from tonights "COPS"

While watching COPS tonight there was a segment on a shooting. Shooting suspect, who was a CCW permit holder, allegedly shot a man in his house who was allegedly beating him with his fists. The man who was shot was hit twice, once in the abdomen just to the side of his navel and in the arm. I assume that since the suspect said he was being beaten at the time that the shots were at close range.

Reason I am posting this is because the police's initial contact was with the man who was shot....who was walking home after being shot twice.

I would like someone to identify the weapon used and more importantly the caliber. As someone who carries a .380 I would like to know if this gun is a 380 or something smaller. With all of the discussion regarding the ability of a 380 to be a useful caliber for SD, seeing this would make the argument against the 380 compelling. If its something smaller then I would still like to know.

Pics were taken with cell phone camera while my PVR was paused. Gun looked to me to have a stainless slide with white grips. My wife seems to think the slide is black with silver grips. Gun also had what appeared to be a logo in gold on the bottom of the grip. BTW, police arrested the shooter and charged him with attempted homicide.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SwatMedic338; July 10th, 2010 at 11:16 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Looks like a Kel Tec P3AT. If so, yes, it's a .380ACP. I don't own one, maybe someone who does could back up my id?
    Didn't they do a special edition of the P3AT with Michael Savage (radio guy)? Maybe that would explain the coloring?

It's a Kel Tec P3AT. The grip has been painted white and the logo painted gold. If you rotate your 2nd picture 90 degrees to the right, you can read the Kel Tec logo clear as day.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides" - Thomas Jefferson

Yes, Kel Tec P3AT.

As a matter of fact, I pointed that out to my wife as we were watching it along with the admonishment that her Ruger LCP is only to be used as her BUG and not her primary weapon. The guy who got shot with the .380 looked to be doing just fine as he was walking down the street.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I saw the episode, too, and thought the same thing. When I saw it the first time on the TV, I thought it was a Kel Tec PF9 or P11, both of which are 9 mm. Now that I see it up close in your photos, it looks like a P3AT which is a .380. As I don't own one, I can't tell for sure. Kel Tec owners chime in.

Looks like it may be time to rethink my LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwguy View Post

Looks like it may be time to rethink my LCP.
    Well, like I mentioned above, the little .380's have a purpose as a BUG or deep hideout gun. It just shouldn't be relied upon to used as a primary weapon as far as I'm concerned.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Wow, that was fast, thanks guys.

While this once scenario is not the "say all, end all" of any discussion regarding the 380, it does give me pause. Of course there are many factors to consider including ammo but for me personally, I want a round that no matter the brand or type of ammo, is going to do enough damage to prevent a guy from walking home after being shot above the waist.

Granted it was a belly shot but it certainly has made me rethink using my 380 as an EDC.

Well, both my wife and I carry LCP's every day. But they are back-up guns.

Her primary is an SP-101 and my primary is an XD9sc or a G-23.

As small and lightweight as they are, if you have one, then there's really no reason not to have two guns. Your primary plus your little LCP or Kel-Tec.

Whether carried in the front pocket, back pocket, shirt pocket, purse, small belt holster, ankle holster or worn around the neck... They are just so small and weigh so little you won't even know it's there.

So if you have a kel-tec or LCP, don't get rid of it... just don't carry it as your primary. Use it as a back-up.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Yes, Kel Tec P3AT.

As a matter of fact, I pointed that out to my wife as we were watching it along with the admonishment that her Ruger LCP is only to be used as her BUG and not her primary weapon. The guy who got shot with the .380 looked to be doing just fine as he was walking down the street.
    Exactly the reason I am rethinking my using a 380 as an EDC. He was in pain but could have kept walking.

Just last hour I posted in the thread questioning the effectiveness of the 380 and touted just how much I loved my Bersa 380. I still love the gun but that guy just walking down the street like nothing happened really shakes my confidence.

Could be a Kel-Tec P32 (.32 ACP). I have a hard time distinguishing between the P32 and P3AT. Maybe someone else can tell them apart better than me.

Plus, .32 ACP could explain the relative lack of injury to the bad guy.

To be objective, it did work. Guy was getting beat on, shot the aggressor twice, and drove him off? Or did the guy finish beating him senseless and then wander off?

You also never know what kind of ammo the guy was using. Could have been some cheapo, import underpowered ball ammo? Maybe?

I don't know, but it does give one pause. I think about buying one of those little .380s all the time. This is discouraging me.

Impossible to tell the difference between the P3AT (380) and the P32 (32acp) without reading the slide; neither would be a reliable fight stopper with a bellybutton hit but the 380 would have a better chance. Saw a COPS episode where the cops shot a guy in the abdomen with a 9mm, then he stood there talking to the cops while waiting for the ambulance.

WvHiker, I totally agree, see post #7.

To be objective, it did work. Guy was getting beat on, shot the aggressor twice, and drove him off? Or did the guy finish beating him senseless and then wander off?
    He was driven off by being shot. Police then had to question shooter as to where it happened. If I ever have to shoot, and I hope I never do, I want the guy on the ground where he stood....especially if it happens in my house. Again...it was a belly shot but I believe that had he been hit with a .40 or .45 the cops would have found him in the shooters house and he wouldnt be walking home.

Senior Moderator
    Well, like I mentioned above, the little .380's have a purpose as a BUG or deep hideout gun. It just shouldn't be relied upon to used as a primary weapon as far as I'm concerned.
    Carry the biggest caliber that you can comfortable shoot and one that you will carry.

Even with a .44 Magnum there is no guarantee that the person you shot will stop.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Did the cop on the show look at the camera and say

"This is one of them Glocks that shoot Cop Killer Hollow Point bullets."

??

I hate when they do that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links