9MM snub revolvers: what's your pick?

This is a discussion on 9MM snub revolvers: what's your pick? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been thinking about grabbing a 9mm snubbie as a BUG, and would prefer to stick with 9mm as my minimum acceptable cartridge and since my ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 9MM snub revolvers: what's your pick?

9MM snub revolvers: what's your pick?

Been thinking about grabbing a 9mm snubbie as a BUG, and would prefer to stick with 9mm as my minimum acceptable cartridge and since my EDC is 9mm, it makes sense to keep a BUG in 9mm. I have found out there are actually a few on the market:

S&W: generally the highest price, but I LOVE the 940 with concealed hammer and the Stainless finish. Perfect for ankle or pocket, I know it's heavy, but I want to share the same ammo as my primary.

Charter Arms: I know nothing about them. Is it the same size as the S&W j-frames? I need to be able to get some decent holster options! Are they even still in business?

Taurus: Again, I own a Taurus PT709, and used to have a full-size .357 and have no problems owning another. But is it the same dimensions as the S&W J-frame? again, concerned about holster options, and want to use the small smooth wood J-frame bird-head grips that work so well with the S&W J-frame snubs. And of course, Taurus is the most affordable of the bunch.

Share what you know!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    Share what you know!
    I know that 9mm revolvers don't exist, I assume you meant .38/.357.

S&W, Ruger.

Pick one that suits your needs, be happy. .357 doesn't have much of an advantage over .38 spl +p out of such a short barrel, but does have increased recoil, muzzle blast and flash.

CT lasergrips will make them much easier to shoot accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    The Taurus 905 is 9MM

Model: 905SS2
    Finish: Stainless Steel
    Caliber: 9 mm
    Grips: Rubber
    UPC: 7-25327-34180-2
    Capacity: 5
    Weight: 22.2 oz
    Rate of Twist: 1:9.5"
    Barrel Length: 2"
    Construction: Steel
    Height: 4.37"
    Frame: Small
    Width: 1.38"
    Action: DA/SA
    Front Sight: Fixed
    Length: 6-1/2"
    Grooves: 6
    Safety: Transfer Bar
    Trigger Type: Smooth
    Order #: 2-905029
    MSRP: $480.00
    Rear Sight: Fixed
    Grooves Turn: Right
    Attached Images

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

S&W, Ruger.

Pick one that suits your needs, be happy. .357 doesn't have much of an advantage over .38 spl +p out of such a short barrel, but does have increased recoil, muzzle blast and flash.

They definitely do exist, my buddy has the taurus and it shoots pretty well. The moon clips can be a pain in the butt sometimes but offer a pretty fast reload.

VIP Member

S&W, Ruger.

I think what you should have said was "There are no reasons for 9mm revolvers to exist."

The best 9mm round on the market is the .357 Mag!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

How about 10mm Revolvers?

S&W, Ruger.

Did you know there are 10mm revolvers like the S&W 610?
    How about revolvers in .45 ACP? All use moon clips to hold their shells in place. In fact the 10mm revolvers can also shoot .40 S&W shells.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

GM

S&W, Ruger.

Check it again; the following manufactures have/has/will make 9mm revolvers:

Police Revolver (China)
    Ruger
    S&W
    Taurus
    Charter Arms will be making a CARR 9mm (.40 S&W, and .45 ACP) which will not use moon clips
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Why bother with a 9mm revolver and having to use moon clips when you can have a much more 'easier to use' .357/.38?
    Novelty is the only reason I can think of...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Actually, I researched and found that the (3) revolvers I listed do in fact, make the 9mm in a snub revolver platform. That's why I listed them.

My reall question is about the size of the frames, and how they compare in size, and for holster selection as compared to the J-frame from S&W.

As for WHY? The answer is pretty simple: cartridge effectiveness and shared ammunition capability. If my EDC is 9mm, and I feel it is an effective round for SD, why would I want a BUG chambered in .38? It's the same reason most of my pistols are in 9mm, and why most of my long guns are in .223 and .308. I'd rather invest in platforms than different calibers of ammunition!

But I am pretty surprised that the 9mm revolver is such a secret...they've been out for years...

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    Actually, I researched and found that the (3) revolvers I listed do in fact, make the 9mm in a snub revolver platform. That's why I listed them.

My reall question is about the size of the frames, and how they compare in size, and for holster selection as compared to the J-frame from S&W.

As for WHY? The answer is pretty simple: cartridge effectiveness and shared ammunition capability. If my EDC is 9mm, and I feel it is an effective round for SD, why would I want a BUG chambered in .38? It's the same reason most of my pistols are in 9mm, and why most of my long guns are in .223 and .308. I'd rather invest in platforms than different calibers of ammunition!

But I am pretty surprised that the 9mm revolver is such a secret...they've been out for years...
    I think your reasons are quite valid. The only negative I see to a 9mm revolver is the moon clip issue.

I believe that the Taurus 905 has the same dimensions as my Taurus 650. The 650 is slightly larger in some dimensions than an S&W J-frame (mainly the underbarrel shroud for the ejector rod). Many j-frame holsters (but not all) will fit the Taurus "small frame" pistols as will some k-frame holsters. Leather holsters that are not custom boned are most likely to fit. Grips are another matter entirely. S&W and Taurus use different grips and they are not interchangeable.

I am not familiar with the Charter Arms or Ruger 9mm revolvers (the Rugers (SP101) are hard to find; I don't think they make them anymore). However, I believe the Ruger 9mm is the same size as their .357 SP101 which, like the Taurus, is somewhat large than the S&W and uses different grips.

Good luck in your hunt!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Ruger SP101 9mm.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

The S&W 940's were quality guns, they didn't make many, and they don't make them anymore, now they command a premium. If you want one, you gotta pay.

The Taurus offering is a Taurus, you might get lucky and get a good one or, like me, you might get one with issues. You've got about a 50/50 chance. Of course, they're the only manufacturer making a DA 9mm revolver right now so if you want to buy new they're it.

Charter Arms doesn't offer a 9mm revolver. They talked about it for about a year and a half but now they've removed all mention of it from they're website. They did make the Pit Bull in 9mm Federal a while back but it used a proprietary cartridge, the 9mm Federal, which was a rimmed 9mm ala the .45 Auto Rim. Neither the gun nor the cartridge caught on, nowadays it's mostly just an interesting paperweight.

These days Ruger only offers the Blackhawk in a convertible, it comes with a .357 cylinder and a 9mm cylinder. In the past they offered the Speed Six and SP101 in 9mm.

You could do what several of us have done and that is make your own. IMO, a 13oz 9mm snubby is something S&W should build, but they don't listen to me so I took matters into my own hands. My BUG is a 360J that has been rechambered to 9mm (9x23). You can also take a pre-J-magnum framed gun and have a 940 cylinder fitted to it.

In addition to ammo compatibility, ballistic performance is another reason to choose a 9mm snubby. The 9mm is more efficient than a .38spl from a short barrel and gives substantially high velocities for a given bullet weight without much increase in muzzle blast or felt recoil.

Moon clips are a pain. I have a Smith 351PD in 45 ACP. It shoots great, but having to deal with moon clips gets old pretty quick. They make tools for removing the brass, which I plan on getting.

If you can find a Smith 940, make sure to get the tool ! Otherwise, you'll be digging your brass out with a screwdriver or a pocketknife.

Ammo commonality sounds cool, but you're not really gaining much, especially in a BUG.

I think you should go for a BUG in .38, because the ballistics are a little better than shooting a 9mm out of a 2 inch barrel, it will be less expensive than trying to find a used 940 somewhere, and it will be a more powerful round.

Ammo companies are also starting to make ammo geared to the snub, like Winchester's +P 130 gr. Bonded stuff, or the 135 gr. Gold Dot +P....

A brand new Smith 442 would only cost about 450 bucks or so, and a Taurus would cost even less !

I agree with Halesb...the clips would be a pain! I looked at them because I shoot a lot of 9mm but in the end I went with the Taurus M85 in .38.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by halesb View Post
    I think you should go for a BUG in .38, because the ballistics are a little better than shooting a 9mm out of a 2 inch barrel.
    and it will be a more powerful round.
    Wrong. As I said the 9mm is more efficient and gives better performance out of a 2" barrel than a .38spl of similar bullet weight. I chronographed several 9mm and .38spl loads out of 2" revolvers and here are the results:

.38spl
    WW 130gr FMJ = 689fps
    WW 125gr JHP +P = 832fps
    Federal 110gr Hydrashok = 873

9mm
    WWB 115gr FMJ = 1096fps
    Magtech 115gr FMJ = 1057fps
    Magtech 115gr JHP +P = 1098
    Federal 115gr JHP +P+ = 1174

Also, moonclips make for very fast reloading, particularly with 9mm in a snubby. The cases are short enough that empties fully clear the cylinder with a single push of the ejector rod, unlike .38's, and they all pop out together. The conical bullet design and short overall length also makes it very easy to drop a loaded moonclip into the cylinder.

FYI, Taurus moonclips are thin and flimsy, very poorly designed. The S&W moonclips, however, hold the rounds very securely and you can drop one or two in a pocket and worry about the rounds coming out of them.

Also, you don't HAVE to use the moonclips. The rounds headspace on the case mouths so the factory guns can be loaded without them. The only issue with that is there's no rim for the ejector to push against so you need to poke the empties out of the cylinder with a pencil or something similar.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links