Superb Walther PPS- I like it even more (with pics)

This is a discussion on Superb Walther PPS- I like it even more (with pics) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before today my PPS 9mm had only 50 rounds through it. Today at long last I fired another 120 rounds and, man, it was superb. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superb Walther PPS- I like it even more (with pics)

Before today my PPS 9mm had only 50 rounds through it. Today at long last I fired another 120 rounds and, man, it was superb. The standout features from today's session were its accuracy and soft recoil. I have spoken before about its design and great concealability and how the grip and capacity can be customized using the different mags and backstraps. Now I can speak with first hand experience of its impressive functionality.

I was amazed at how easy it was to put the shots on target. Unlike other owners, I did not find that it shoots low and to the left. I am convinced that with proper trigger finger and grip control the PPS will shoot to point of aim. At 15 paces with deliberate shooting I was putting the shots in or within 1" of the bull. At 7 yd. it was even tighter. See pics below.

I have a Hogue Handall Jnr. rubber grip on and it gives a very comfortable feel. Recoil was soft due to a combination of the Hogue grip and the dual recoil springs. 110 x Remington UMC 115 gr FMJ and 10 x Corbon 125 gr +P JHP went through like a breeze; no discomfort, no blisters, very soft. Oh, every time I pulled the trigger it went 'BANG' as some of my Glock friends like to say. My PPS does that too! It was flawless.

I left the range with a sense of joy and confidence. I am happy I chose the PPS as my CCW. It has been superb to this point and exceeded my expectations. I recall 9 months ago when I was probing on the forums about the PPS, owners told me that I "would like it even more once I fired it". Today I confirmed that this is, indeed, a true statement.

I wish others would share my experience.

One of the 7 yd. groups

My PPS on the railing with the green hills of Jamaica in the background.

My carry rig - M-Tac Neutral cant originally bought for appendix carry but found that 3.30 was much more comfortable and functional. Love it. 7-round mag in gun, 8-round to the side.

I couldn't agree more, I absolutely love mine. Most won't believe how accurate they are until they actually shoot one. It is one fantastic gun! Congrats on your new EDC

PPS 9mm a striker fire action/pre cocked means

exactly what is striker-fire-action and the trigger pull feels like? 6.1 Lbs * I'm interested in any of your comments on the trigger, what do you have to do to get a round or two off quickly in a SD situation =s what's the safety mechanism, etc
    I'm on a CC hunt And this is on my list
    MSRP $735, what are they going for and are they fairly easy to find?
    Also want to handle :
    S&W 3913
    Kahr TP9
    Kel-Tec P-11 or pf11 whatever it is...Thnx & by the way-Looks real fine too ............

VIP Member
    PPS is on my highly recommended list.........I like mine !

Good pictures, pretty country in the background.

It might be OT here, but would you mention something about the gun sales, concealed carry, firearm laws, etc in Jamaica? Just curious on my part, others may be interested as well.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by danlct View Post
    exactly what is striker-fire-action and the trigger pull feels like? 6.1 Lbs * I'm interested in any of your comments on the trigger, what do you have to do to get a round or two off quickly in a SD situation =s what's the safety mechanism, etc
    I'm on a CC hunt And this is on my list
    MSRP $735, what are they going for and are they fairly easy to find?
    Also want to handle :
    S&W 3913
    Kahr TP9
    Kel-Tec P-11 or pf11 whatever it is...Thnx & by the way-Looks real fine too ............
    Danlct, the trigger action is just like a Glock. In fact, the whole gun is Glock-like. Some refer to the PPS as the single stack 9mm/.40 that Glock refuses to make. There is a moderate amount of trigger travel (about 1/4 inch) during take up and then a clean break with a 6 lb. pull. When new the trigger is a bit rough but smooths out nicely after the break in period. The trigger is the same for the first shot as it is for the second and so on. In a sense the striker fired action is a cross between a SA and DA-only mechanism. I have no problem getting off fast shots or double taps. Just check out You Tube for Glocks being rapid fired. There is no external safety just a spring loaded trigger safety tang that ensures that the gun is not discharged unless the trigger is pulled... just like the Glock.

The actual price is likely to be somewhere between $575 and $620 based on reports from those who have bought from their local gun store or internet dealers.

Of the guns you mentioned, the PPS has the highest fit and finish. It's a Walther which means German engineering, WWII heritage and James Bond mystique. The Kahr is a worthy competitor but is smaller and is stainless which didn't suit me. The SW is a decent gun but I don't consider it in the same quality class as the PPS. I thought the 3913 was discontinued. The Keltec is a budget-priced option that is also quite small but fit and finish is at the lower end.

If you can, feel and fire them all and then make your choice.

GM
    I am glad you enjoy it!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The PPS is a gun I've also considered for CC. My wish when it originally came out is that it would have the same triggers available as were found on the P99, but it didn't. The ergonomics were off just enough, for my hand at least, that when I fondled the gun it didn't scream "buy me now". But I've shot enough guns to know that ergonomics are proved only by shooting and I haven't shot the PPS yet.

The Kahr is a worthy competitor but is smaller
    Actually the Kahr TP9 is a little bigger, but they are similar in size, especially when the PPS has the extended mag.

Re:Walther info

I appreciate your input and yes 3913 is DCed * I was simply keep'n an eye out for one used or otherwise * PPK trig action sounds very good * The price point also isn't bad * I definately won't make my choice for a sngle stack 9 until i check it out..............

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    PPS is on my highly recommended list.........I like mine !

Good pictures, pretty country in the background.

It might be OT here, but would you mention something about the gun sales, concealed carry, firearm laws, etc in Jamaica? Just curious on my part, others may be interested as well.
    I'll take my chances with the moderator.

Firearm ownership in Jamaica is highly regulated. There is a long approval process of 4-6 months to get a User's License and a need to own has to be firmly established. The applicant's background, employment, security of the home and police records are checked. Once obtained, there are no restrictions for concealing. In fact, concealing is recommended and safer. Owners have been robbed or killed for their guns. Certain events and govt. buildings are off-limits even with a permit. There are only a handful of firearm dealers and very strict procedures for purchasing ammo and weapons.

Jamaica's inner cities have high murder rates mostly involving guns. There are many illegal guns of all sorts including assault rifles that come in from the USA and Haiti. Last year we had over 1,600 murders which is very high for a population of under 3 million. Murders tend to be related to gang wars, reprisals for injustice, extortion and domestic violence and tend to be confined to the inner cities around the capital Kingston and Spanish Town. Extortion is a big problem in many business areas. Consequently, many business owners and middle/upper class citizens own and carry firearms.

Having said that Jamaica is a beautiful country and those wishing to visit to enjoy the beaches, resorts and rich musical culture should not feel afraid as large parts of the country are untouched by this criminal violence.

VIP Member
    SIrLingPing, Thanks for the info on Jamaica! Always interested to hear how gun laws work in different places. visited there a couple of years ago.....beautiful country!...love the Jerk chicken!

I also have a PPS that I carry in a similar rig (except left-handed). Easy gun to conceal!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I wish I could share in your joy. I love the way it conceals but mine always shoots low and left until I compensate my point of aim. Thus mine is for sale.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the Jamaica info...........interesting !
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Excellent groupings. Looks like there is not much room for improvement. Now see what you can do on the move with that weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    I wish I could share in your joy. I love the way it conceals but mine always shoots low and left until I compensate my point of aim. Thus mine is for sale.
    Nobody, this is a very common occurrence with new PPS shooters. The PPS is set up to have the front dot cover the point of impact and the popular six o'clock style used in the USA is not to be used. Also, the slim grip of the PPS requires shooters to adjust their grip and trigger pull from what they are used to for the fatter double stack pistols. This topic is extensively dealt with in this ppstalk thread. Once the sight picture and grip are adjusted most shooters cure the low left problem. Please look it over and give the PPS another "shot" before you trade it in. It is a wonderful pistol that will become a favorite once you understand it.
    PPS Owners Forum - Subject: Hitting low and left

I'm glad you're liking yours!

I took a look at one, but other than being thinner, it did not compare favorably to my Glock 26. Just as heavy, and as large or larger (depending on the mag) in the other dimensions. Less capacity, and that mag release would have forced this old dog to learn new tricks.

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links