Springfield Armory GI Micro Compact 3" 45ACP

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory GI Micro Compact 3" 45ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wanting some opinions on this model handgun from anyone who has one or has owned one in the past. Wanting to know about reliability and ...

Thread: Springfield Armory GI Micro Compact 3" 45ACP

Wanting some opinions on this model handgun from anyone who has one or has owned one in the past. Wanting to know about reliability and just if you like yours ? A co-worker has one and I have thought about buying his.............some thoughts on the gun would be nice and appreciated............

While I dont own the SA Micro Compact I have been looking into it again. In the past I did own a Kimber Ultra CDPII. When you go below 4" BBl's on the 45 they have less inertia to cycle the slides and are more prone to problems. I also think the lighter alloy framed guns make it worse. My problem with the Kimber could have just been poor quality, I had heard Kimbers were suffering from quality control issues. The Colt I had was all steel and functioned fine but it was heavy compared to the Kimber. I guess I never learn because I'm looking into them again. I love the 1911 45's and the 3" guns are so easy to hide. I do have several SA 1911's and all have been flawless, although none are the micros.

Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    When you go below 4" BBl's on the 45 they have less inertia to cycle the slides and are more prone to problems.
    Yep. I've also heard a theory that the much-shorter recoil spring provides less of a window of opportunity for proper ejection. Either way, they seem more finicky than the Commander-sized and above.

Having said that, I have a 1998 Colt Defender 3-inch. It'll eat hardball like candy, but is shaky with JHP's. It doesn't like limp wristing with either.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I own and carry a Loaded Micro Compact Operator. One fine gun. I know a lot of folks talk about the recoil, but I haven't found it that bad at all. Shoots well, I love this little piece.

VIP Member
    I have a SA micro that has been my EDC for over seven years. I will feed hardball with no problem but the only HPs it will feed reliably are Winchester 230gr JHP Personal Defense. None of the +P ammo will function reliably mostly FTFs, it seems like the slide is moving too fast to properly to pick up the next round resulting in a stovepipe. After 150-200 rounds it will start to malfunction usually failing to return to battery but a quick clean and lube and all is well.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

SAs are generally good firearms. I don't have an SA, but carry a SS Kimber Ultra Carry w/3" bbl and alloy frame. It's light and has been perfect after break-in. Recoil is subjective, but the UC isn't bad for me. Most 3" bbls use an enhanced recoil spring setup to slow the slide, plus lower the ejection port. Kimber uses two concentric springs that are supposed to be replaced or rebuilt after about 2500 rounds. Deltonics uses a triple spring setup that they say is good for more rounds. I forget what SA uses, but I think it's also a dual, concentric spring setup.

I originally tried out a number of ammo varieties, including Corbon +P. It all worked fine, but I settled on the 185 gr. Remington Golden Saber BJHP. They feed great, are very accurate, and burn clean. Aren't cheap, though.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

We have a couple of SA Micros and they have been flawless. No problems with being finicky with different types of ammo or brands of ammo. Great EDC guns from what we've experienced. Only problem was when husband's gun was REALLY dirty and Gunzilla fixed that right up!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

EAJ
    Pleased with my Micro Operator. Comfortable to shoot and reliable. If you do have any issues SA offers a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by EAJ View Post
    Pleased with my Micro Operator. Comfortable to shoot and reliable. If you do have any issues SA offers a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service.

+1 on SA customer service. Seems quite a few micros (not all) do have issues straight from the factory, but SA will do right by you and repair any issues on their dime for as long as own the gun.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    You also need to consider "limp wristing" issues with such a compact .45. I suspect that some folks who think they have failures to feeds (FTF) are actually limp wristing the gun.

We may hate to admit it, but the recoil from such a small .45 is very stout on a good day and if you don't have a proper grip and some strength behind it and in your wrist then you can.

That's where the short barreled 1911 might have less tolerance versus the full size. Don't ask me how I know this

And if limp wristing isn't a problem then remember the recoil. Again, a lot of folks don't like to admit it, but a .45 in such a package, even an all steel heavy little package, has a good deal of recoil to it and that can make shooting one well challenging. Especially if you start to anticipate the recoil and start flinching.

See if you can go out shooting with your friend and try it before you buy it. Offer to buy him a box to put through it and shoot it a bit.

Final point, the GI sights are serviceable and that's about it. They're very very small. The gun is much more enjoyable with better sights on it.

I haven't owned this gun but have owned a Colt New Agent, SA Mil-spec full size and a RIA mid-size.

Gideon

I have the S/A Micro compact, not the G/I.
    I love this gun, but I didn't at first. I had some mis-feed problems for the first 100 rounds. My dealer gave me a Wilson Combat magazine, and for some reason, it didn't work well. The S/A and a Kimber magazine work fine. Or maybe the gun just loosened up enough to start working fine.
    Now it is reliable. As a carry gun it is nice. It lays flat against your side when worn at 3:30. It's light enough to be comfortable. If you want a .45 carry gun, I don't think you will beat this one. I have a Don Hume IWB holster and it works great.

the recoil from such a small .45 is very stout
    Not so bad. I can't tell much difference between this and my 9mm. It is louder.

I don't have a Springfield but I do have a 3" 1911. I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and to date its been 100% with ball (approx 450 rounds) I have yet to try it with HP. Recoil is noticeable especially during a long shooting session, 100+ rounds and you’ll know you’ve shot something, not unpleasant but noticeable.

If you’re someone who likes to spend time maintaining his pistol and will take the time to learn what makes a 1911 work they aren’t a bad choice. They’re light and handle nicely, however as someone already said they have a very close tolerance for what will work and what they choke on, plus you need to track your shooting so you know when its time to change out springs.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    ...You also need to consider "limp wristing" issues with such a compact .45. I suspect that some folks who think they have failures to feeds (FTF) are actually limp wristing the gun.
    I concur.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

i been looking at the 40 cal. glad you posted im going to rent one tommow and prob. buy one next weekend

Sponsored Links