Well I had pondered an XDM 45....

This is a discussion on Well I had pondered an XDM 45.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking of selling my XDM 40 to get the new 45 ACP version that hit my local stores about a month ago. The ...

Thread: Well I had pondered an XDM 45....

Well I had pondered an XDM 45....

I was thinking of selling my XDM 40 to get the new 45 ACP version that hit my local stores about a month ago. The 40 cal round does have a "snappy" recoil, that I thought I could exchange it for the 45 with more power, and less "snap". But now that I look at the round I choose for defense (Winchester PDX1), I am rethinking this possible decision. Here are the stats:

PDX1 - 9mm 124gr+P = Vel 1200 / En 396
    PDX1 - 9mm 147gr = Vel 1000 / En 326
    PDX1 - 40 cal 180gr = Vel 1025 / En 420
    PDX1 - 40cal 165gr = Vel 1140 / En 476 (WHOA!)
    PDX1 - 45ACP 230gr = Vel 920 / En 432

In looking at those stats, the best velocity + energy combination looks like the 40 cal in 165gr. So why is the 45 considered to be a better knock down round? Is the 45 considerably larger when expanded than the 40cal? Now, is that 165gr 40cal round going to have more recoil because of the velocity and energy it produces? I shoot the 40cal WWB rounds for practice, and that's what I refer to as the snappy ammo. I would imagine the 165gr PDX1 will have more snap than those white box rounds correct? Talk to me people

PS- The reason I am asking is bc I have a hard time getting back on target with the 40cal XDM, but my M&P 9c I can lay out the magazine and be right on target with each round. I would like to do that with a bigger caliber, but it seems like all calibers are right around the same vel & energy. Thanks a lot.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

Actually you know that the so called *knock* down power is really a myth , but if since we are comparing energy numbers, in the June 2010 issue of Gun World they do a test of the new XDM 3.8 9mm. Using Cor-Bon 115gr. +P DPX rounds they get 1360 fps for 472 Ft-Pounds of energy !!! I hope this helps. God Bless

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Don't get too caught up in stats. Especially considering you're only looking at one brand/type.

Ultimately, you have to be able to hit what you aim for effectively, and human perception can be a funny thing.

Many people perceive the .45 to feel more like a "push" than a snap. For some it can make all the difference in follow up shots.

For ME, the trade of in velocity and energy potential was worth the change from .40 to 45. I KNOW I'm going to put all my rounds where I want them quicker with the .45. I hand to work VERY hard for the same result with the .40.
    That's just me though.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Try before you buy. From your description, it sounds like you should be looking into the 9mm. I know I can make stupid fast follow-up shots with my 9mm G19 and G26...I see no need to go .40 or .45. I'll take the faster follow-ups and greater mag capacity. Practice ammo costs less too.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Stats about energy and velocity are not the whole story. The .40 round is a bit hotter, but the .45 may work better at making wound channels and therefore incapacitating a BG. Look at round expansion too as well as shootability and the ability to put multiple shots on target quickly. That is the whole package.

Knock down power is a pure myth; that's Hollywood. You will never knock someone down with a handgun round. If they go down it's from pain and not from energy. They will bleed out before they get knocked over from the hit.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Look at permanent crush cavity to compare defensive ammo.

Look here to compare the ammunition you posted. Ranger-T bonded and PDX1 are the same thing.

Are you sure it's not a grip issue on your end? You shouldn't have that much problem with an XD(m) in .40. My wife is 115lbs and can put a cyclic 12 rounds downrange with my XD SC .40 and have an impressive group. I think moving up to the .45 may not be solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Look at permanent crush cavity to compare defensive ammo.

Look here to compare the ammunition you posted. Ranger-T bonded and PDX1 are the same thing.
    Yep, when the FBI did there testing they wanted to have a round that did the most damage, hence the PDX1 round and Ranger AKA black tallons before they were out lawed...
    I have the PDX1 rounds and not worried about the snap, but if it does then step up to 180gr, Gold Dots..
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Are you sure it's not a grip issue on your end? You shouldn't have that much problem with an XD(m) in .40. My wife is 115lbs and can put a cyclic 12 rounds downrange with my XD SC .40 and have an impressive group. I think moving up to the .45 may not be solution.

Grip is all way's something to have when shooting...
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I fired some WIN 230 gn PDX1s thru my 4566 while I was checking out the new aquisition, and I was impressed with them. Seemed a bit hotter than the 230 gn Gold Dots in my G30.

I'd suggest going with the caliber that allows to to get back on target faster than getting concerned about relatively small differences in energy/lbs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by XDM40cal View Post
    Yep, when the FBI did there testing they wanted to have a round that did the most damage, hence the PDX1 round and Ranger AKA black tallons before they were out lawed...
    I have the PDX1 rounds and not worried about the snap, but if it does then step up to 180gr, Gold Dots..
    FBI has different priorities than civilian CCW, they weight auto glass performance in their tests at 50%. That means it's weighted as much as all other variables COMBINED. I use PDX1, but I'm not overly concerned with shooting someone through a windshield. Just because some agency issues ammo doesn't make it the right ammo for you.

Black talon wasn't outlawed, Winchester just stopped using the black coating and started calling them SXTs. Ranger T and SXT are NOT THE SAME.

cmb
    I agree that the 45 seems to feel lke more of a push, I also shoot it in a 1911 and that could be with the grip profile, you must also consider the bore axis and height of your hand grasp. i have considered the XDM in 9mm because of the number of rounds, the effective ammo available today and the overall weight when the magazine is inserted, 20 rounds of 9mm weighs less than 14 rounds of 45. There may be a question as to does felt recoil increase as the weight of the gun changes as you shoot your rounds... An interesting test may be fully loading the gun and shooting three shot groups of various positions and speed and then loading only 3 shots and doing it again...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    I was thinking of selling my XDM 40 to get the new 45 ACP version that hit my local stores about a month ago. The 40 cal round does have a "snappy" recoil, that I thought I could exchange it for the 45 with more power, and less "snap". But now that I look at the round I choose for defense (Winchester PDX1), I am rethinking this possible decision. Here are the stats:

PDX1 - 9mm 124gr+P = Vel 1200 / En 396
    PDX1 - 9mm 147gr = Vel 1000 / En 326
    PDX1 - 40 cal 180gr = Vel 1025 / En 420
    PDX1 - 40cal 165gr = Vel 1140 / En 476 (WHOA!)
    PDX1 - 45ACP 230gr = Vel 920 / En 432

In looking at those stats, the best velocity + energy combination looks like the 40 cal in 165gr. So why is the 45 considered to be a better knock down round? Is the 45 considerably larger when expanded than the 40cal? Now, is that 165gr 40cal round going to have more recoil because of the velocity and energy it produces? I shoot the 40cal WWB rounds for practice, and that's what I refer to as the snappy ammo. I would imagine the 165gr PDX1 will have more snap than those white box rounds correct? Talk to me people

PS- The reason I am asking is bc I have a hard time getting back on target with the 40cal XDM, but my M&P 9c I can lay out the magazine and be right on target with each round. I would like to do that with a bigger caliber, but it seems like all calibers are right around the same vel & energy. Thanks a lot.
    It seems like you have had the answer all a long. Get the .45 in the M&P.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Well they were called cop killers.... So they were not allow to the general public..

Also i have to agree if you feel you can get on target fast with .45acp than 40s&w, then by all means get the XDm45...

Even the M&P 45 is a option... I Like to make one other suggestion...

Converting the 40 to a 9mm...Yes you can...Here are the links..

PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL
    this is the website..
    PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL
    This is the barrell...and you have to get 2 mags, or more... also you need to get a lighter spring too ... they have it listed...
    Good luck...
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member

Links