S&W Bodyguard 380: When available? - Page 4

S&W Bodyguard 380: When available?

This is a discussion on S&W Bodyguard 380: When available? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked mine up today. No range time yet on it but hopefully this weekend. My first impression is that it is higher quality than my ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Picked mine up today. No range time yet on it but hopefully this weekend. My first impression is that it is higher quality than my LCP. It is very small, but slightly larger than the LCP although it will fit in my Desantis pocket holster for the LCP, but just barely. I'll report back once i've had a chance to take it to the range but I really like the feel and the Laser is a nice feature.
    "That's just like your opinion, man." -the dude

I picked one up too....I really like the looks and feel. Plan on putting a box through it today.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I shot 2 boxes down range with out a problem. Very accurate little pistol. Fits my hands much better than my LCP, it was almost too small. The S&W is a tad bit bigger but not much. Recoil was very manageable. I really like it!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I have over 400 rounds thru my Bodyguard 380 now after two range sessions and can report that out of my Ruger LCP, Kahr P380 that this is my favorite. The trigger is just as good as the Kahr, which is saying a lot, as are the sights. Both my iron sights and the integrated laser were factory regulated for 10 yards, and this thing is accurate, I've shot.
    Winchester White Box 90 grn FMJ
    Federal AE 90 grn FMJ
    Federal Classic 90 grn HP
    Federal HydroShok 90 grn HP
    Corbon 90 grn HP
    The Bodyguard 380 was 100% flawless with all loads. I did some waterjug shots and all the HP loads were dismal except for the Corbon which blew the gallons jugs up.
    The triggerpull is long, which is good for a pocket pistol. THe main thing I like is how comfortable the BG is to shoot. My main complaint about the LCP was that is went from uncomfortable to downright painful to shoot after a few magazines. The Kahr P380 was like night and day and a much better pistol. The BG I feel even even better than the P380. The action has repeat strike capability and the built in laser is there should you decide to use it. Speaking of the laser, it makes shooting tight groups boringly easy and I can see low light applications for it. All in all Smith & Wesson did their homework and built what I consider the best pocket pistol of the bunch.
    The first photo is 6 rnds of the Corbon load at 7 yards and will be my carry load. Second photo was 12 rounds of Winchester FMJ shot at 15 yards fast with the laser.
    Attached Images

Next up my new Bodyguard 38 revolver, I've only been to the range once with this pistol and shot a little over 200 rounds thru it. Anyone who likes J frames is going to love this latest from S&W. The revolver is loaded with innovations like a new ratchet drive that does away with the hand to rotate the cylinder. This system gives us what has to be the best out of the factory J frame trigger yet. The integrated laser is perfectly located high on the frame. I like this because I've tried Crimson Trace grips on J frames and usually light up my finger as I like to grip these revolvers as high as possible. The laser activates by a button on top of the unit and is super easy to engage either right or left handed. This bodyguard was flawless thru the 200 rounds I put thru it.
    Winchester White Box 130 grn FMJ
    Winchester 148 grn LWC
    Winchester 158 grn +P LHP
    Speer Gold Dot 125 grn +P HP
    Speer Gold Dot 135 grn +P HP
    The new grip design makes this the most comfortable J frame size revolver I've ever shot. Even weighing only 14 ounces the grips and polymer subframe soak up the recoil of the hottest +P loads I shot thru it. It amazes me that something this light can be so comfortable. I have an AirLIte Ti J frame that I love to carry but is no fun shooting. That is now replaced with my BG 38 that I can shoot all day. The rifling on this BG is very shallow so jacketed ammo is more accurate than lead bullets, although the Winchester +P 158 grn LHP is still one of my favorites as it's a truly proven load.
    Again the laser is there should you decide to use it and it is very easily activated. The trigger now rotates the cylinder clockwise and is perfectly timed. By that I mean the cylinder indexes before the hammer falls so once you get the feel of it, it's almost like a single action pull. I love this about S&W triggers when they're properly timed. So once again S&W has hit a home run with this BG38, this and the BG 380 are perfect hot weather carry guns.
    The first photo is a 6 shot group with the Speer 125 grn Gold Dot and I think this will be my carry load.
    The second photo is an 8 shot group with the Winchester 158 grn +P LHP.
    Both the laser and iron sights were perfectly regulated from the factory at 10 yards. I must have had the same assembler building both pistols LOL.
    Attached Images

Great reviews Mag318, thank you for your detail. I'm still waiting to get to the range with my new toy.
    "That's just like your opinion, man." -the dude

I too have had my Bodyguard 380 for a little over a week and have shot 150 problem free rounds in 3 range sessions. I am still getting used to the DAO trigger but as each range session I see that I am improving. I guess what messes me up is that I am used to my Taurus PT709 and Springfield 9mm EMP's SA trigger and my Sig P229 DA/SA trigger and immediately go to the DAO of the BG380 and I have to get used to it. I am liking my BG380 though, very nicely built. The sights are great for a pocket gun. I can't wait till someone offers night sights for them. God Bless :)

Report: Problems with new S&W Bodyguard 380

I purhcased a S&W Bodyguard 380 on Saturday. With great enthusiasm and expectations I took it to the range on Sunday morning for a first shoot. Unfortunately that is all I got! after the first shot the trigger failed to return (trigger return spring or something else failed in the gun). With out taking the gun past the field stripping described in the manual, I have not been able to correct the problem. I will be taking it back to the dealer this morning to see what remedies are available. Obviously this was a great dissapointment. I am a long time fan of S&W revolvers (my wife and I are NRA certified instructors and shoot S&W 340PD's) and this is the first semi automatic I have purchased for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Cateye View Post
    I purhcased a S&W Bodyguard 380 on Saturday. With great enthusiasm and expectations I took it to the range on Sunday morning for a first shoot. Unfortunately that is all I got! after the first shot the trigger failed to return (trigger return spring or something else failed in the gun). With out taking the gun past the field stripping described in the manual, I have not been able to correct the problem. I will be taking it back to the dealer this morning to see what remedies are available. Obviously this was a great dissapointment. I am a long time fan of S&W revolvers (my wife and I are NRA certified instructors and shoot S&W 340PD's) and this is the first semi automatic I have purchased for self defense.
    Cateye, Having something break on a brand new gun is so frustrating. S&W has great customer service though, if you call them they'll send you a return label so you can send it back. This is a lot less of a hassle than going thru a dealer. They pay for shipping both ways and your pistol will be shipped directly back to you. I had a problem with a then new M&P45, shipped it back and it was returned in 10 days and has been perfect ever since. Your experience is no fun but rest assured S&W will make it right, their customer service is second to none. Let us know what happens.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links