Thoughts on trading my GLOCK 26 for a S&W M&P 40C

This is a discussion on Thoughts on trading my GLOCK 26 for a S&W M&P 40C within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased my GLOCK 26 10 months ago with the factory added night sights and have enjoyed carrying it as my primary EDC. But I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on trading my GLOCK 26 for a S&W M&P 40C

Thoughts on trading my GLOCK 26 for a S&W M&P 40C

I purchased my GLOCK 26 10 months ago with the factory added night sights and have enjoyed carrying it as my primary EDC. But I have recently been bitten by the S&W M&P compact line bug and am thinking about trading (can’t afford both). The M&P line has a lot to offer, and has me looking at my GLOCK as kind of bland. I really like the tactical sights, scalloped slide serrations, adjustable grip and overall look of the M&P. But I have already gotten used to the GLOCK system, carrying a G19 mag with A&G spacer as a backup mag, G26 holster etc.

Im thinking the only way I can really justify making the transition to myself is to go up a size in caliber from the 9mm G26 to the 40 caliber M&P 40 C. I won’t be able to shoot an M&P for a month, but I hear the trigger pull is very smooth and recoil is much more manageable from the GLOCK system.

I am making this thread mainly to get initial thoughts on if this is a smart change. I will obviously lose some purchase value from my G26 as I bought it new and have put close to 1000 rounds through it and will buy the S&W new to obtain the original owner lifetime warranty. I also want to know how the M&P 40C is recoil wise to the G27 which I have shot in the past. I originally went with the 9mm caliber as I was a new shooter, but feel that as I have gained experience this past year, I may be able to handle a 40 just fine.

I of course will need to try the S&W 40 C first, I just want to get initial thoughts on the idea if I end up being able to shoot the 40 fine.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    These excuses come to mind quickly when going from a subcompact 9 to a compact 40:
    !) upping the caliber, as you mention
    !!) getting a larger gun that you can establish your grip better in holster
    !!!) larger bullet capacity

if going to change why not change to a 45 acp? the recoil thing is all just hoax once you shoot enough rounds you will get use the 45 and when you shoot a 9 it will feel like a 22 and when you shoot a 40 it will feel like a 9.

From a M&P owners perspective- Unless you have problems shooting the G26 well or aren't comfortable I don't see a big reason to switch. The difference between 9mm and .40 with premium HPs is pretty small, I think the reduced ammo cost of 9mm offsets the tiny drop in effectiveness for those on a budget. In stock form I slightly prefer the glock trigger.

I do think the M&P offers vastly improved ergos while maintaining the simplicity and reliability that have made Glock one of the best choices for a defensive pistol out there. With some polishing or apex parts the M&P trigger goes from passable to very good. I would like to compare it to a glock with 3.5lb connector and NY1 spring at some point.

Senior Moderator
    The recoil thing is not a hoax. I was talking to Ernst Langdon right after he had used a Sig P226 ST to beat Rob Leatham with his tricked out 1911.

He said he had been shooting 9mm so long that he had to readjust to the heavier recoil of the .45 as he prepared for the match.

And, yes, you will acclimate to recoil, but you cannot 'equalize' its effects, nor is recoil reduced by shooting a lot.

One advantage of the M&P is the grip angle. I realize we can adjust, but it still remains that we do go through an adjustment period to get muscle responsed tuned to a new grip. Most any other brands, Sigs, Berettas, 1911s, H&Ks, M&Ps, BHPs, have essentially the same grip angle and hence require little or no adjustment to grip angle.

However if you shoot a lot, the difference in Glock's grip angle does make a difference when you switch to it. I watched an IDPA national champion try his best to switch from his CZ to a Glock, only to shoot high repeatedly. Finally he gave up for the day.

Having said that, I really like Glocks, of course I really like M&Ps too.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I wouldn't do the trade. You've got 1000 rounds worth of practice in the GLOCK 26 and have adapted to carrying it, you're looking at learning all over with a different gun and different caliber . Aside from the possible higher cost of ammo, .40 s&w may be harder to find. You've got one the best subcompact pistols on the planet and I can't knock the M&P, but you've got the best why change?
    Last edited by joker1; July 12th, 2010 at 05:39 PM.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Switch?

The Glock design has almost 30 years of proven durability and reliability. That's tough to give up.

kpw
    If your just considering trading for aesthetic reasons, no way. If there are some other reasons like functioning problems or you just can't shoot it worth a darn, sure. Although I don't think a compact .40 of any brand will help there.
    As for the triggers, the stock Glock trigger is generally considered better. Some swear their stock M&P's triggers are better and maybe they are, I haven't shot one yet that was. There are fixes for both and in the case of the Glock, they can go from a mild fix to unbelievably good.
    If you really want an M&P (don't blame ya, btw), save for it and keep the G26.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I wouldn't do the trade. You've got 1000 rounds worth of practice in the GLOCK 26 and have adapted to carrying it, you're looking at learning all over with a different gun and different caliber . Aside from the possible higher cost of ammo, .40 s&w may be harder to find. You've got one the best subcompact pistols on the planet and I can't knock the M&P, but you've got the best why change?

Thats what my reasoning is as well. I love my 26 more every time I pull the trigger and carry it. For me the 26 for you???
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    ...If you really want an M&P (don't blame ya, btw), save for it and keep the G26.
    +1 That's exactly my advice as well. I'm thinking an M&Pc might be in my future but not at the expensive of getting rid of any Glocks or Sigs I already own. They work and work well for me. So I'm gonna have to wait/save up a while before I can make it happen.

VIP Member
    It's known on DC that I love both Glock's and M&P's, BUT why be redundant and have two very similar guns with regards to dependability? Please don't go into the 30 year track record, that is one of the reasons I love and also hate things about Glock's. I love the reliability, but hate that it took them 30 years to make a half assed attempt to catch up to the features everyone else has had for a few years now.

There is no reason to have one of each. I frankly would pick one system and stick with it. You can't go wrong either way!

If it were me, I would go with the M&P. It's what the 4th Gen Glock should have been and it has a proven track record.

Just my two cents, but you can be rest assured that I have years of experience with each them and have shot the living piss out of both of these firearms.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I went from a G26 to a XD40sc with a SA custom combat trigger job and will never look back. I just hated the way the gun felt in my hands, even though it was reliable and reasonably accurate. The S&W40c was my second choice. Personally, I feel more comfortable carrying a .40 vs 9mm for close combat/self defense situations. I just preferred the ergos of the XD slightly more, although I had to give up 1 rd capacity. S&W also offer an action job which should lower trigger pull to about 4.5 lbs with minimal over-travel. I say go for it! You may find a little more recoil, but with a good trigger job and proper hold, the difference will be very minimal. Both the SA and SW have a little more weight than the Glock 26/27. Also SA and S&W have some of the best customer service in the business.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I would trade it in for an M&P but that is just me nothing wrong with a Glock... I love the 40S&W round. I have a full size M&P40 and wouldn't trade it for nothing.
    1600+rounds no problems.. and check out my link in the signature if your worried about 'reliability' .....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    ]Im thinking the only way I can really justify making the transition to myself is to go up a size in caliber from the 9mm G26 to the 40 caliber M&P 40 C. I won’t be able to shoot an M&P for a month, but I hear the trigger pull is very smooth and recoil is much more manageable from the GLOCK system.

200% true to the recoil.. Shot side by side, one after another the G26 has more recoil than my .40S&W round. (not lying)
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

10 months ago I was buying my first pistol for CCW and had narrowed it down to the M & P 40c or the M & P 45 compact. I talked myself out of the 45 without even shooting one.(Big mistake!) I went to the local range to try out the 40c, unfortunately they only had the M & P 40 full size. So I tried the M & P 40 full size and a Glock 27. I figured that this would give me a close idea as to how the the 40c would shoot. The M & P shot great, no problems and the recoil was not bad at all. The experience with the Glock 27 was the same, it shot great, no problems, just had a little more recoil, which was to be expected with the smaller gun. So I bought a M & P 40c and was absolutely happy with the purchase. I know recoil is very subjective, but to me personally, the M & P 40c was much easier to shoot than the Glock 27. The recoil did not feel quite as snappy and I felt like I had better control of it. The M & P 40c is a great gun, very easy to conceal, and has never malfunctioned in any way. With all that being said, I have been second guessing my choice. I made the mistake of shooting a M & P 45 and I could not wipe the smile off my face. What a great gun! Again, to me personally, the recoil of the 45 just felt so much better than the 40, and I could also get a better grip. So now I'm wondering if I should have went with the 45 to start with. So my advice is if it's at all possible, try to shoot any of these that you are interested in, and also consider looking at the 45.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links