Pastors arming themselves

This is a discussion on Pastors arming themselves within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our minister was talking about some scarry situations he has found himself in during late night visits near jails and public hospitals. During the discussion, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pastors arming themselves

Our minister was talking about some scarry situations he has found himself in during late night visits near jails and public hospitals. During the discussion, he commented that he considered getting a handgun but his wife did not think it was appropriate for a minister to go around armed.

I told him that there has been some articles about this very subject lately and I would do some research for him to back up his thoughts on taking the ccw class and carrying a hand gun.

Any information from you guys and gals would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Trooper Joe

2. Remove Ads

If I'm not mistaken, there are several clergymen on this forum (or maybe it's another I belong to) that do carry. They, pretty much collectively, have said that if a situation arises where someone is threatening his/her life and/or the congregation's lives...but not if someone just "questioned their faith."
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did a search and found this thread that I will copy and give to my pastor.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rmed+clergymen

Trooper Joe

VIP Member
    I know a few pastors in my family and both are armed. They have more of a chance of having self defense issues then your average joe. It has lead me to carrying while in my place of worship because of the potential dangers of attacks. Call me paranoid, it's okay.....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Trooper Joe:

sent you a PM...........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Jesus said, “If you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”

Luke 22:36

Can't get anymore clear then that.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Senior Moderator
    Tell your wife that in the town of Russellville, Arkansas, there are very few Pastors or Ministers that are not armed.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Joe View Post
    During the discussion, he commented that he considered getting a handgun but his wife did not think it was appropriate for a minister to go around armed.
    I don't have a problem with a minister being armed.

If I were a minister I'd be armed, and as far as it being appropriate or not..........me being a dead minister is not appropriate either.

During the wake there would be quiet talk that "if he just would have been armed, he might still be here.......what a shame".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I thought that pastors were supposed to be Shepherd of the flock, the first job of the shepherd is to protect his flock; if that means carrying a gun, so be it.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Found this site a few years ago while researching what gun I wanted to carry.
    Christian Gun Owner

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Armed clergy reporting. :) Click through the link to my blog in the sig line and there are 4 articles on Christianity and self-defense. The pastor's job is to feed, lead, and PROTECT his congregation. And unfortunately, Sunday mornings are not safe zones and church is not a safe place. I know the issues armed clergy deal with, so if you need help let me know!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

cmb
    Another clergy reporting in... it is definitely a good question to think through because being mentally prepared for self defense is at least equally as important as being armed. I have spend many early, early mornings and late nights in large cities ministering to those who are in need. Even though I pastor in a rural communitymost of our hospital are in large central florida cities where there are violent crimes reported every single night on the news.

I do indeed carry a primary and BUG, we are indeed taught in Scripture to be prepared, and to willing give our life for the gospel. We are however not to allow injustice to go on around us. So if the lifethreating situation occurs because I am a pastor and the person is sane enough to comprehend the gospel and reject it and me to the point of violence then so be it... odds are however in our day and currently in our country (though it may change) it will be some angry, possibly crazy individual that goes off or a group when I am out who may just choose me at random as they might anyone else, then It is fight or flee and the only fight with rules has a referree and ropes and I will do all I can to save life.

My family is my first priority and I will not let random senseless violence hurt them if I could prevent it.

When it comes to church I tactically have the best advantage, I am looking at the main entrance, I have line of sight, and I know who is armed in the congregation if it comes to that. There are some good articles out there and reads and I have one or two on my other computer, I'll be glad to send them if you'd like.

Senior Moderator
    ... it is definitely a good question to think through because being mentally prepared for self defense is at least equally as important as being armed
    AMEN!
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Tell your wife that in the town of Russellville, Arkansas, there are very few Pastors or Ministers that are not armed.
    Agreed.

Church shootings are as prevalent as school shootings. They just don't get the press because the media hates Christians.

I wrote an article on this very thing a few years ago, and it resulted in some good feedback. Large cash offerings at church on Sunday, usually handled by a much older, trusted but often defenseless deacon; mentally-unstable folks or people abusing substances who have nowhere left to turn; and finally, the threat posed to Christian churches by terrorist groups. Churches are prime fodder for crime and terrorism, as are pastors and chaplains. Attacks on churches have happened in Iraq, Turkey, and Pakistan. They will happen here, too.

Respectfully, and no disrespect meant to his wife, there is nothing noble about allowing yourself to become an unarmed lamb led to the slaughter. There is no biblical prohibition against self-defense. Just ask Moses and Joshua.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links