Defensive Carry banner

1911 grip question

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  cmdrdredd 
#1 ·
I have noticed that some grips have a groove cut into it that allows your thumb to more easily reach the mag release. Do you people with smaller hands find that it makes much of a difference? I do have trouble reaching the mag release without slightly tilting the gun. The problem is that the grips that I want to order for my new 1911 (aluma grip smooth thin) don't offer it as a option. VZ grips do but they don't have the style I want.

#4 ·
Yea lol, I know... Function is first and foremost and if it comes down to it i'll get the better fit. I just wish I could put both in my hand but none of the 1911's at ly LGS have ones with the groove.

The three week wait is killing me!! I ordered my super tuck and going to order my grips and screws/bushings this Friday because I want to have everything in place the second I pick it up lol. I even have 300 rounds of .45 set aside for it. 100 WWB, 100 Dads Reloads and 100 185g speer gold dots (my preferred defensive ammo.)

#5 ·
Ahhhhhh, I never thought of that. The smaller circumference will probably make a big difference.

On a side note. I know this is backwards to what most people usually do but is it difficult to go from a ambi safety to a standard one? I have no real need for ambi and it really just adds to the width of the gun.

#9 ·
Congrats on the 1911, they are great! An ambi safety is nice for off hand usage, though mine is right hand usage only for the reasons you mentioned. I hope you receive everything timely!

#12 ·
Be careful with alumagrips. They trap moisture around them and can allow your frame to gather some rust if you're not thorough with maintenance.

#14 ·
I really like Larry Davidson's grips for 1911s. He can do custom work and cut out a thumb relief for hitting the mag release if you would like.

#15 ·
Never heard of him but I'll check them out. Do you mean monkey grips? That's what I got my I googled his name.Thanks for the info on alumagrips, I wasn't aware of the moisture issue.

#16 ·
There are many grips available (including the slim ones) on Ebay. You might also consider an extended mag release. Try Brownells. Just about any extended thumb safety can be filed down and contoured to the profile you prefer.

#17 ·
I e-mailed Larry and he is going to do me up a set of G10 smooth black thin grips. Thanks again for the advice cmdrdredd.

#18 ·
Yeah that's him. What is on his minimalist website isn't indicative of his work or what he can do. Check some of the 1911 forums for his works. Spectacular.

I didn't know that about alumagrips until receintly. It's only an issue if you do not remove them and wipe around underneath. Sometimes I get forgetful or lazy and don't remove my grip panels.

Also don't forget to pickup a set of thin bushings and screws for those thin grips. Brownells has them cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.