Thoughts on revolver hammer types

This is a discussion on Thoughts on revolver hammer types within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Other than the some-what obvious advantages for concealed carry are there any functional and/or mechanical pluses for one type of hammer over the other: 1. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on revolver hammer types

Other than the some-what obvious advantages for concealed carry are there any functional and/or mechanical pluses for one type of hammer over the other:
    1. exposed hammer
    2. internal hammer
    3. shrouded hammer

Not being familiar with such things the only thing i can think of is an exposed hammer can be a man vs mechanical option
    And a covered hammer could possibly stay cleaner IF that's the case and is it enough to matter anyhow? I'd guess not,but then again when it comes to firearms i'd like to eliminate any guess-work!

I hope this is not an off issue for this forum.
    IF so where else to post?

The benefit of a shrouded or internal hammer is mainly that it's one less thing to get snagged on clothing during a draw motion. The down side is that it makes the gun either impossible or harder to shoot in single action style.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

That is interesting regards the difficulty issue * S&W model M&P 360 is a revolver i want to take a closer look at. I like the specs, but though it has an exposed hammer they made it in a sa/da action. What is the advantage or appeal in that choice over a s/a only?

Quote Originally Posted by danlct View Post
    That is interesting regards the difficulty issue * S&W model M&P 360 is a revolver i want to take a closer look at. I like the specs, but though it has an exposed hammer they made it in a sa/da action. What is the advantage or appeal in that choice over a s/a only?
    I'm pretty sure that the only s/a revo's around now days are the cowboy style guns. I think you may have meant d/a only. Think about it like this. In a defensive scenario pretty much no one is going to take the time to cock the hammer before firing; they are going to pull the trigger double action. However for accuracy (punching paper at the range, etc) single action is generally better as it provides a shorter lighter trigger pull.

Revo's with a internal hammer that can only be fired double action are generally considered to be defensive tool only and not really "range guns". Where as a gun that has a exposed hammer and can be fired s/a OR d/a is generally considered a bit more fun to shoot on the range.

I used the term "generally" about 15 times in this post as oppinions tend to vary a bit on this subject :) If you are buying a gun for purely defensive use and don't plan on putting a lot of rounds through it my personal suggestion would be to go with a shrouded or internal hammer. If your buying a gun and plan on shooting it a lot and want the ability to punch paper accurately at longer distance I would go with a exposed hammer.

As for the M&P 360 it doesnt make much difference as trust me, your not gonna want to put a lot of rounds through that thing at the range...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Cool

I have a S&W 638 and I bought it for the shrouded hammer to eliminate snags but also the ability to cock the hammer for single action. That said I had an old pinned barrel S&W 36 that I gave to my daughter that never snagged on clothing. I do not pocket carry the 638 but I really like the looks of the humpbacks. Go figure.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

To me its about options. I prefer having s/a capability.
    I don't pocket carry, so that is not a problem.

It's a rare occasion that I would pocket carry but I do have a 438 for such an occasion. I wanted the shrouded hammer for the single action option.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by wmhawth; July 13th, 2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction

Quote Originally Posted by danlct View Post
    And a covered hammer could possibly stay cleaner IF that's the case and is it enough to matter anyhow?
    I've heard stories of FTE due to pocket lint etc getting stuck behind the hammer
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    It's a rare occasin that I would pocket carry but I do have a 438 for such an occasion. I wanted the shrouded hammer for the single action option.
    Dang that is a pretty gun.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Get one of each!

My J-frames are for self defense only. I went with the Centennial or hammerless style for carry purposes.

They generally have better triggers than the J's with regular hammers.

They are less prone to snagging when carried in various way.

I am not faced with the temptation to spend half of my ammo at the range shooting single action. I like to practice the way I'll be shooting when the chips are down. That said - I CAN "stage" the trigger just fine if I really want a slow acurate shot or groups of shots.

However - I know a few guys who carry revolvers with hammers (most). None, that I know of, has ever had the gun hang up on the draw. The triggers on their guns are just fine. And a couple can out shoot me D/A any day of the week.

I think shrouded is the way to go, incase you do have the opp to get a good first shot off....just my opinion.

My SW 642 is hammerless so...
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

I love my shrouded Bodyguard, even without a new fangled laser.

Shrouded is the best of both worlds. When I had mine I really liked the option of first shot SA.

"As for the M&P 360 it doesnt make much difference as trust me, your not gonna want to put a lot of rounds through that thing at the range..."

Rollo is right. If you plan to shoot .357 you may want to look at a heavier gun. I have an SP101 which is substantially heavier than the 360 S&W, and even with the extra weight the magnum loads are a little hard to handle.

The good news is, you can probably try them out at a range that rents guns. Once you shoot them, you'll know which one suits you.

(I recommend the SP101!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links