DIAMONDBACK .380 Range Report

This is a discussion on DIAMONDBACK .380 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range today for the first time with my new Diamondback .380. Prior to going I followed the manufacturers instructions and disassembled, cleaned ...

Thread: DIAMONDBACK .380 Range Report

Thumbs up DIAMONDBACK .380 Range Report

Went to the range today for the first time with my new Diamondback .380. Prior to going I followed the manufacturers instructions and disassembled, cleaned and lubricated the weapon and the magazine.
    I had Remington 95 GR MC, Speer Gold Dot LE 90 GR GDHP and some Seller & Bellot 95 GR FMJ ammo.
    I started with the Remington ammo loading a full 6 round magazine, chambering a round then topping off the magazine. The first several mags were slow fired from a distance of 7 yards with rounds impacting about 2" below point of aim but centered. There were no malfunctions. I then fired several magazines as fast as I could pull the trigger and again no malfunctions. I next loaded the Speer ammo and slow fired several mags and again no malfunctions. I then did the same rapid fire drill and again no malfuntions of any kind. I did short stroke the trigger twice possibly because of my use of the Glocks and their ability to reset the trigger without releasing it all the way. This cannot be done with the Diamondback. I then mixed the Speer and Remington in the same magazine and proceeded to fire several mags both slow and rapid fire with no malfunctions. Needless to say I was a very happy camper.
    After seeing the reliability with the Remington and especially the Gold Dot LE ammo I thought I would burn off the remaining Seller & Bellot FMJ ammo. At this time I had about 80 or so rounds through the gun. The first magazine was slow fired with no malfunctions. On the second magazine the second round produced a FTE. I cleared the weapon and the forth round was a FTE. The last three rounds fired and ejected without incident. The third magazine had a FTE with the first round. After being cleared the last rounds fired without incident.
    I switched back to the Remington ammo and rapid fired a magazine without incident . I fired the remaining Remington and Speer ammo mixing the rounds in the same magazine rapid fire with no malfunctions. I feel completely at ease with the Diamondbacks reliability with the Remington and the Speer ammo. It definately did not like the S&B ammo and as a point of reference the last time I fired the PPK/S using this same batch of S&B I had FTE issues. The ergonomics of the grip on this little gun make it very comfortable to shoot.
    I have ordered a HighNoon Pocket Grabber and a Mr. Softy for the DB. I have to qualify with my department with this weapon before carrying it as a BUG on duty and I hope to do that next week.

Last edited by Old School; July 13th, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

Yup, mine was ammo sensitive as well. Congrats on the DB. The little pistol really does shoot very nice comparatively. My LCP is not fun to shoot at all, but my DB I could fire all day long, very similar to my Sig P238.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have had good luck with Federal American Eagle for range ammo in my DB.

unhappy ammo

i had serious jamming issues with remmington 380 95 gr fmj. it was my first time firing the gun so i was bumbed it was jamming but i am relieved to see others had jamming issues too. ill try different ammo tomorrow.

Great range report. If I ever decide to get a .380 it will more than likely be a Diamondback.

This looks like a great little gun. I want one. It would make a perfect little BUG with a G26 as a primary.

OP: May I ask what you paid for it?

My wife just picked up the DB9. Unfortunately because of work schedule she hasn't been able to put it through it's paces yet. Hoping for good weather tomorrow.

You forgot to post pics of your DB. With out pics it did not happen. :)
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    You forgot to post pics of your DB. With out pics it did not happen. :)
    You are correct sir. Sorry for that. Better late than never.

photo.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpg Diamondback .380
    click image to enlarge....

OS

P.S. I paid $350 but they had just come out. They are less expensive now and offer numerous options.

http://diamondbackfirearms.com
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Glad you are pleased so far with your results.

I tried a Diamondback 380 several months ago, and after range trip #1 had to send it back for a new extractor/spring and after 2 weeks and range trip #2 had to send it back for a factory replacement of the entire trigger assembly. After factory repair #2 it was sold back to the dealer and removed from my ownership.

Never had a gun that failed so miserably and completely. A total waste of time and ammunition for me, and will never own another Diamondback product.

I hope your experience with FTE's is ammo-related and not a harbinger of things to come....but based on the numerous failure reports on this make, I have feeling you either got lucky, or just haven't had enough range time to have the Diamondback show its' true colors.

Links