Advice please!

Advice please!

This is a discussion on Advice please! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like a recommendation on a CCW pistol. I'm not 21 yet, but I figure it's never too early to find out my options. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice please!

Advice please!

I would like a recommendation on a CCW pistol. I'm not 21 yet, but I figure it's never too early to find out my options. I'm around 5'6", living in Michigan. I would like something small, something I could fit into a purse. I'm only going to use it for self-defense.
    I'm completely new to this subject, I would just ask if you could use small words I'd appreciate it. If you need any other information, just let me know. Thank you!

Hello from West Michigan! Your best bet would be to go to a gun store and handle a few different types of firearms to see which style or type feels best to you. Also, if you have any family or friends that shoot, ask if you can try their's sometime.
    My wife has a Taurus Millenium Pro in 9mm that she really likes. It's easy and light to carry and all of the controls are easily manipulated.
    Nick.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Well the conditions you gave were pretty broad. You can stuff a full size revolver in most purses I see people carrying. First off, what's your price range? Secondly, how much experience do you have with handguns? And thirdly, is your purse designed to carry a handgun? If not I would highly recomend we factor the price of a new purse into your price range.

Assistant Administrator

I'm only going to use it for self-defense.
    Not to downplay but an SD gun is probably of more importance than for any other purpose So certainly you do want to choose carefully.

Some questions have already been asked and answers to those might help, budget being quite an important one. Another thing is to try all smaller guns you can to see if they suit you personally, as well as fit into purse catgeory. Even your grip strength and hand size too - make a difference over choices.

A revo like a 642 could serve OK but very possibly too not be a gun you'd find over comfortable. A small semi might be best, of which there are many, all of which ideally need tried out if at all possible before making decisions.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil
    Well the conditions you gave were pretty broad. You can stuff a full size revolver in most purses I see people carrying. First off, what's your price range? Secondly, how much experience do you have with handguns? And thirdly, is your purse designed to carry a handgun? If not I would highly recomend we factor the price of a new purse into your price range.
    I'm sorry. My price range is around $1,000. I don't have any experience, but I am just trying to get things into perspective.

So my best bet would be to go to range and try things out?

Assistant Administrator
    A $1k budget is good - gives you a wide choice.

Indeed a range trip and hopefully meeting several folks with different smaller pieces would IMO help you a lot. We could make a long list of possibles by model but only actually checking stuff out really helps you know what will suit, both for shooting ability and concealment.

This should be something that can be whittled down - first off probably see if revo or semi suits you better - and move on from there. Could well be something like a Kahr 9mm could fit the bill.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yeah, try as many as you can. What general area of Mi. are you in?
    Nick.

Definately, Rika. I'd suggest you look online and find the closest range and go by there. Let the folks know you are new and are looking to RENT a gun or two to see how they feel. I'd suggest coming back here and discussing your experience before you make a final decision on what to buy.

Also, check into getting some basic training as well. That will help you stay safe as well as give you an opportunity to learn proper grip and such before you learn something improper and have to "un-learn" it. A few hours with a qualified instructor certainly helped me a lot and was well worth the cost.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

You might look into getting a S&W or Taurus 2" barrel 38 caliber revolver for several reasons. None of which are meant to offend you or others but I don't want to recommend a gun that you can't operate or are intimidated buy. 1st, Revolvers are very simple and require little knowledge to operate. 2nd, most semi-autos require the user to "rack" or pull back the slide in order to load the 1st "round" or bullet into the chamber.

However, if you go to a gun store and find that you can easily operate a semi-auto and find them more to your liking than by no means should you overlook them. I am personally a big fan of semi-automatic pistols. I must recommend Sig Sauer. Their 239 or 232 are fine weapons that you might like. They are both realively small and still fire a good defensive round.

Also I would highly recommend carrying the weapon on you instead of in a purse. There are several women here that will be more helpful than I am. Kel-Tec and Kahr Arms both make semi-auto pistols that are wouldn't be difficult to conceal and many women conceal much larger guns on a daily basis.

Please feel free to ask any more questions. We are happy to answer them. Sadly not all employees of gun store have you best interest in mind and will tell you what you want to hear in order to make a sale. The more informed you are before going in the better.

Check out the line of Kahr Arms guns. There are several different ones in 9mm. I carry a P9 which I love. Another not so expensive is the Kel Tec P11 also in 9mm. Both are easily concelable and fairly easy to shoot.

As others have suggested you should get some training and try different firearms first.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

My wife really likes her Glock 17. It's a little big for her to conceal, but she got it primarily to shoot IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association - it's a practical shooting sport) with me. You might want to consider the Glock 19 which is the compact 9mm. The problem my wife had when looking for a pistol was finding one that she could manipulate the slide. My Sigs were to hard, and so are my 1911's. When she played with the Glock at the the shop, it fit her hand well, and she was able to work the slide fairly easily.

This is just my opinion, but it might be something to consider or think about. I would suggest that you steer away from the super compact pistols if you do not have much experience shooting. I have a Kahr PM9 which is 3" barrel 9mm with a polymer frame and stainless steel slide. The short sight radius (the distance from the front sight to the rear sight) is very short, making it more difficult to shoot accurately. Also, because if it's light weight and short barrel, it packs quite a punch even though it's only shooting a 9mm. My full size 1911 in .45 ACP (see my avatar) actually has quite a bit less recoil than my PM9. Like others have suggested, you should go out and try them out.

Depending what area of michigan you are in you might be able to meet one of us at the range to try out our guns or the range rentals

Its a personal preference thing My old lady likes the 1911 fullsize

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    OK, with a 1k budget here's my wholehearted advice. First, buy a .22LR handgun of your choosing, Revolver or automatic. You can pick a great one up for between $200-300. Shoot the heck out of the .22 for the remaining time between when you get your CCW and now. In that remaining time start looking and learning about what kind of handgun you want to buy for carry. When the time comes that leaves you with $600-700 to buy the pistol, holster/purse and ammo for carry. Which is plenty to get a fairly high-end rig. And if you shoot the crap out of that .22, when you do get a carry gun you'll be much more comfortable and competant when you're breaking in a service-caliber handgun. Just my .02

Lead Moderator
    Welcome from another MI person. Try handling as many types of guns as you can. finding the right gun can be a chore, especially for someone new. My girlfriend likes both semi autos and revolvers, but everyone is diffrent.
    Also, don't forget , a good defensive pistol class will help immensely too. Typically CCW classes don't cover alot of indepth issues or training.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You will get a LOT of opinions I'm sure. I am partial to Glocks. On the "small" size the Glock M27 (.40 caliber) is a powerhouse. I carry this one frequently. Slightly larger is the Glock M23 which is my favorite personal protection handgun.

Hopefully you will have the opportunity to try several guns at your local gun range.

Please know this....... it is important to practice with whatever handgun you buy.....

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links