Got a LCR, PM9, and no holster.

This is a discussion on Got a LCR, PM9, and no holster. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In anticipation of getting my permit I narrowed down my carry wish list to the Ruger LCR or Kahr PM9 and said I'd use whichever ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

In anticipation of getting my permit I narrowed down my carry wish list to the Ruger LCR or Kahr PM9 and said I'd use whichever I got first.

Somehow, some way I ended up with both within 24 hours.

I'm only interested in carrying IWB. Pocket carry is a no go.. heck, my iphone prints.

I don't have a holster for either, and I'd really rather not buy one for both! I'd rather choose the one I'm going to carry and get one good one.

So.. does anyone else have a comparison of these guns? Carry-ability opinions?

I'm going to the range Thursday to shoot them side by side with range and carry ammo. What's the best way make a decision without knowing how they'll carry?

jyo
    There are many many custom holster makers, but I generally look at the Galco website and find something very good at a reasonable price. I don't knoe if just one holster will do as the Ruger is very much smaller than even the PM9.

CrossBreed MiniTuck, I have one for my PM9 w/CT and love it, almost forget I'm wearing it.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Far and away the most comfortable IWB carry method for a PM9.

If I am just walking the property or going to the mail box I just carry the PM9 in my pocket with the clip draw, but for any other away from home carry situation the Crossbreed Mini Tuck is the most comfortable holster on the market and I own something on the order of 35 holsters of every type imaginable for my (over-extensive says the wife) handgun collection.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I have one each of these. each serves it's purpose. I really like the Pocket-Roo

Don Hume Clip-On Inside The Waistband Holster (H715M-WC)

Pocket Holsters*::*Tuff Products
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

If you choose the lcr this is a great IWB holster. I have it. You should get a holster for both and carry both before you decide. How it feels carrying is as important as how they shoot.

IWB Holster

EW3
    Crossbreed all the way for both of them!

Don't forget a good belt like a Beltman, even with the smaller, lighter guns you bought, the belt is very important for a good IWB setup.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    A Ruger LCR in 38 Special that fired CCI .38 Special +P ammo:

Here is the discussion on it:

http://www.lmsdefense.com/forum/index.php?topic=6538.0

If you get a LCR, I would advise that you buy the heavier .357 Magnum model, and shoot +P .38 Special ammo in it.

Just get a smith and avoid anything that says ruger or Taurus

Another plug for the CrossBreed; I've got two of 'em
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm a big believer in Comp-Tac (M-Tac) if you want to carry strong side hip. If you want to carry AIWB, go with Dale Fricke Archangel.

I'm giving away 2, Comp-Tac holsters on my Freedom Raffle, check it out. Crossbreeds are good too. I like the Hybrid holster platform a lot.

And by the way, I love the PM9! Good choice. I stoke mine with Ranger SXT 147gr. A box of 50 is less money than most boxes of 25 premium stuff (Corbon, Speer, etc.)
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Atticum View Post
    In anticipation of getting my permit I narrowed down my carry wish list to the Ruger LCR or Kahr PM9 and said I'd use whichever I got first.

Somehow, some way I ended up with both within 24 hours.

I'm only interested in carrying IWB. Pocket carry is a no go.. heck, my iphone prints.

I don't have a holster for either, and I'd really rather not buy one for both! I'd rather choose the one I'm going to carry and get one good one.

So.. does anyone else have a comparison of these guns? Carry-ability opinions?

I'm going to the range Thursday to shoot them side by side with range and carry ammo. What's the best way make a decision without knowing how they'll carry?
    Give my nod to Cross Breed with a gesture as well to Kholster. That is what I carry my LCR in. Wearing it now.
    CCW Rigs 1.jpg
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

I have a CW9 and while I do not have a holster to date, I have no issue carrying the CW9 tucked in my waistband secured by belt tension. It isn't very fancy and a lot of people will say this isn't the best way and I will agree, but the weapon disappears and I am comfortable with it. I have done 6 mile walks, movies, shopping, yard work, with no issues.

I do plan to purchase a High Noon Bare Asset but until then the waistband method works well enough.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    A Ruger LCR in 38 Special that fired CCI .38 Special +P ammo:...

...Here is the discussion on it:

http://www.lmsdefense.com/forum/index.php?topic=6538.0

If you get a LCR, I would advise that you buy the heavier .357 Magnum model, and shoot +P .38 Special ammo in it.
    In the thread the OP said he felt it was a problem of the timing/alignment of the cyclinder to the barrel. I'm not sure having a magnum frame and using 38's would help much. I haven't noticed any such problem with mine (38).
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I shot both side by side at the range tonight. I had two types of .38spl +p and three types of 9mm +p.

The difference was... well it was a big difference. The PM9 was much easier to shoot comfortably and much easier to shoot accurately. I guess that makes my decision easy.

Now about that minituck...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links