Rethinking The Crimson Trace Laser For My Pocket Pistols

This is a discussion on Rethinking The Crimson Trace Laser For My Pocket Pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple years ago I had bought a Crimson Trace laser for my SIG P239, but really didn't like it that much. I went on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rethinking The Crimson Trace Laser For My Pocket Pistols

A couple years ago I had bought a Crimson Trace laser for my SIG P239, but really didn't like it that much. I went on to poo-poo them as "toys" and unnecessary, etc.

Since then, though, I've standardized on pocket pistols only for EDC and have a Kel-Tec P32 and an incoming Kel-Tec PF9. With my pocket pistols, I find myself practicing with more of a point and shoot type motion, hardly ever using the sights, rather than bringing it up to eye level and looking for sights.

My thinking is the laser will help me with this and the experience won't be like before where I was using Big Dot sights and firing a larger gun with more of a traditional sighted shooting style.

Before I drop $175 each for the two pocket pistols, what do you all have to say?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I think pocket pistols are where the lasers really shine as their role in EDC and SD guns. I say go for it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I think of my pocket pistol as a weapon that I will use in a pinch, inside 10 feet and most likely up close and personal. IF those are the conditions that I have and must discharge my weapon, unless the laser is a grip type laser that automatically comes on when you grip the weapon, then IMO, spending $140 (twice) is a waste of money, because you will most like be point shooting and NOT sight shooting. I personally would NOT put lasers on a pocket weapon. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have a Crimson Trace laser on my Kahr PM9, P380 and Ruger LCP. I think they have many advantages, especially in training. You can practice your draw and point shooting without actually firing since the laser comes on instinctually. IMO, there's nothing wrong with having another tool in your toolbox. It definitely should not replace sight training or actual firing training.

Keep in mind that the laser can lose it its alignment with the pistol over time and repeated firings. I bought my P3AT in late 07 with the CrimsonTrace Lasergrip pre-installed. As of today, I am missing 2 of the screws, (the rest are corroded, non-stainless.) and the dot is confidently off the alignment of the sights by about 1/2 inch or so. I plan on taking the grip off and taking it to a watchmaker and see if he can install stainless screws. Just something to think about. The laser is in it's prime when its dark, its hard to see under bright daylight, esp against a lighter backdrop
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

100% agree. As long as they turn on when you grip them, there's no downside. They confirm the aim point, require no additional motor skills, and are intimidating.

I am currently thinking of installing the CT105's on my J frame. I have a set for my Glock 26 that I have taken off because I dont like the way they feel. I think I would like them on my M38 because they are smooth and as I draw from the pocket I can begin to obtain sites. I also feel if I only have 5 shots I need to make them count and think the red dot is a weapon of intimidation or a deterant they may prevent me from shooting someone.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    Keep in mind that the laser can lose it its alignment with the pistol over time and repeated firings.
    - I've put close to a thousand rounds each on my Kahr P380 and Ruger LCP (more out of my Kahr PM9) and the alignment on my laser has not drifted. Even after removing the laser for a more thorough cleaning.

I bought my P3AT in late 07 with the CrimsonTrace Lasergrip pre-installed. As of today, I am missing 2 of the screws, (the rest are corroded, non-stainless.) and the dot is confidently off the alignment of the sights by about 1/2 inch or so. I plan on taking the grip off and taking it to a watchmaker and see if he can install stainless screws. Just something to think about.
    - I've seen a few other users who had the same issue. I put a little Gunzilla on my screws and they have stayed rust free. I would give Crimson Trace a call. They have great customer service and will ship you new screws.

The laser is in it's prime when its dark, its hard to see under bright daylight, esp against a lighter backdrop
    - I agree. The laser is much more effective in low light situations. You'll be hard pressed to even find the laser when there is a lot of sun light, etc.

Ex Member
    I have them on a BUG, and also a nightstand weapon. LOVE them!

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I think of my pocket pistol as a weapon that I will use in a pinch, inside 10 feet and most likely up close and personal. IF those are the conditions that I have and must discharge my weapon, unless the laser is a grip type laser that automatically comes on when you grip the weapon, then IMO, spending $140 (twice) is a waste of money, because you will most like be point shooting and NOT sight shooting. I personally would NOT put lasers on a pocket weapon. JMO
    Great point First Sgt. Right on for sure....in a situation where you have to use a CC weapon in a hurry you don't have time to flick a button.

I point shoot on the move with my weapons all the time. I have found the lasers to be more of a hindrance than a help and a waste of money. For that matter night sights or any quick acquisition sight on a combat handgun are worthless to me unless I am making pointed aimed shots at a target while standing still. For a handgun to defend myself, if it didnt have sights I wouldnt even notice.

I just put one on my PM45. I won't count on it alone but think it has its place. A pocket pistol may be intended for close distance but may be needed for longer distances and the laser could be a benefit.

As a secondary benefit you do have the aspect of the deterent. A bad guy could reconsider when he sees the red dot on his chest. That would be a good thing for all concerned.

As far as the cost goes if the $150 or so that I paid for my CT that rides on my PM45 I consider it to be a worthwhile investment. I just got it and haven't gone to the range yet but will report when I do.

I would get one for the 9mm and leave the .32 alone.

Thanks,

Rick
    Hooah! It's an Army thing!

topsblades@gmail.com

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have one on my snub. It will withstand .357 mag in a scandium J frame. Tough product to be sure. The only thing I make sure to do is install fresh batteries every year whether it needs it or not.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    An expensive, $140+, something-else-to figet-with item. How did we ever manage to survive without them?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Before I drop $175 each for the two pocket pistols, what do you all have to say?
    I bought the Crimson Trace LaserGuard for my pocket carry gun, a Kahr PM9, and could not be happier. The laser comes on automatically when you grip the gun. No switches of any kind to worry about to turn it on. In addition, I was suprised how big and bright the laser dot is from these little units. It really exceeded my expectations.

Here is a photo that I took of me holding my Kahr PM9, to illustrate just how big and bright the laser is:

The laser does not affect the concealability of the handgun at all. Here is what it looks like on my Kahr PM9:

I have bought all of my Crimson Trace Lasers from Shooters-Resource.com It is a small Mom and Pop company here in Oregon, and they buy direct from the factory. They offer fantastic service, and the lowest price anywhere on the Crimson Trace products.

In fact, if you buy it from them, the LaserGuards will cost you only $159 each. In addition, they provide the Crimson Trace Training DVD at no extra charge.

Check it out here:

https://www.shooters-resource.com/

The only extra thing is that if you order a pocket holster for your pistol, make sure that you tell the vendor that you have the Crimson Trace LaserGuard installed on it. For the holster will have to be different in order to accomodate it. I know that companies like Galco, DeSantis, and High Noon Holsters all make products compatible with CT LaserGuard equipped handguns.

I myself ended up buying the excellent "Pocket Grabber" holster from High Noon. Here is what it looks like:

Not only does it have sticky material on it to grab the lining of your pocket, but it also has an effective tail hook on it to further assist in drawing from a pocket.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links