Very impressed with the M&P .45ACP

This is a discussion on Very impressed with the M&P .45ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday was the third time I've taken my M&P to the range. In spite of a trigger that seems to be less than what it ...

Thread: Very impressed with the M&P .45ACP

Senior Moderator

Very impressed with the M&P .45ACP

Yesterday was the third time I've taken my M&P to the range. In spite of a trigger that seems to be less than what it could/should be, the M&P .45 shoots impressively accurately.

My wife was with me as an observer as well as a friend of hers that wanted to shoot some. Once again I shot at the 15" diameter dinger (the same one in the video I posted in another thread) at 63 yards and got a 5 for 5.

I hit golf balls a good 30 feet away; 20 ga shotgun shells 20-30 feet away and out of about 10 shots, I missed once, but I think that miss came with a 9mm Sig 229R DAK.

I am just very impressed with the M&P; my 9mm M&P is everything the .45 is as well.

The only shortcoming of the M&P I've seen so far is the trigger. It seems a bit erratic. Sometimes it feels smoother and sometimes it seems to 'stack' and feels like it's never gonna break. I guess one way to describe it when it does that is it would be like a 1911 trigger with a heavy break point.

I think it will 'shoot in' and get better, but I'm debating about speeding up the process by either doing some work on the trigger or installing a trigger kit.

Knowing me, I'll likely measure about five trigger pulls, do some trigger work and measure 5 more pulls; then shoot it and see. If I'm still not satisfied I may go with the trigger kit.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

I have the 45c,Its a great gun and I really need to carry it more,especially when my 1911 seems a little heavy.the only down side is I need to get a couple more spare mags
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have handled my buddys gun just like yours...it is very comfy for a full size .45. I would probably buy one if I wasnt a Glock loyalist. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

My trigger seemed to "level" out after a few hundred rounds.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    My trigger seemed to "level" out after a few hundred rounds.
    That's really what I'm expecting to happen; and that may be the best plan for now, just shoot it and let if settle as much as it will.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    That's really what I'm expecting to happen; and that may be the best plan for now, just shoot it and let if settle as much as it will.
    It will level out after a bit more shooting. Ever thought about putting in an APEX sear?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have found that getting some snap caps and working the slide and trigger a couple hundred times before I go shoot it does wonders for a new firearm.

I really regret selling my M&Ps, but I'll pick up another 9mm soon. My full size 45 had the S&W trigger job and my 9mm had the Apex sear which made a huge difference. From now on, any M&P I buy will get the Apex sear and whatever the other item they sell is, which is slipping my mind right now. Trigger bar, maybe? Anyway, it makes a difference.

Great gun and glad you enjoy it!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I think it will 'shoot in' and get better, but I'm debating about speeding up the process by either doing some work on the trigger or installing a trigger kit.

Knowing me, I'll likely measure about five trigger pulls, do some trigger work and measure 5 more pulls; then shoot it and see. If I'm still not satisfied I may go with the trigger kit.
    If you have the tools I would recommend doing your own work. You can recreate the apex sear and striker block very easily by getting rid of the nub on the rear of the sear, rounding the sear where it touches the trigger bar, rounding the striker block, and then polishing all of it plus the trigger bar and the part of the striker that contacts the sear to a mirror finish. Then you can get the Apex spring kit and you have a smooth trigger for ~$15 and the time it took you to do the work, rather than the $90 you would pay apex.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I really regret selling my M&Ps, but I'll pick up another 9mm soon. My full size 45 had the S&W trigger job and my 9mm had the Apex sear which made a huge difference. From now on, any M&P I buy will get the Apex sear and whatever the other item they sell is, which is slipping my mind right now. Trigger bar, maybe? Anyway, it makes a difference.

Great gun and glad you enjoy it!
    Apex currently makes a 2 complete actions kit, one for carry and one for comp, sear, striker block, spring kit, and extractor. Their next project is a trigger bar, followed by a bulletproof striker and finally a new trigger.

The M&P was first runner up vs. the XD platform in my purchasing decision today, and it was because of the trigger. I liked it alot, but for me in addition to the smoother trigger, the grip on the XD was more to my hand. You couldnt go wrong with either...
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah the trigger is an issue. However, to me, what the M&P .45 has going for it over the XD .45 is it is more compact - the full size XD grip is long, as it has to be to handle the extra .45 rounds.

But, it's difficult to justify buying a pistol and then having to put $90 more into it, or disassembling the gun and doing a bunch of polishing to get the trigger the way it needs to be. The XD trigger isn't perfect, but it's a lot closer out of the box than the M&P.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I now have just under 400 rounds across my M&P 45c, with some of it being "dirty" stuff (WWB, etc...). I carry it every evening.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

GM
    Glad that you enjoy the M&P. Congrats.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I now have just under 400 rounds across my M&P 45c, with some of it being "dirty" stuff (WWB, etc...). I carry it every evening.

And I'd better not find out that you left it home even one time!

Links