Defensive Carry banner

Anyone having accuracy issues with the P250? Update post #9

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Tangle 
#1 ·
I shoot DA revos, Sig DAKs, M&Ps, Sig DA/SA and lately a Sig P250 full size .45ACP. I simply cannot shoot it as well as any of the other guns I mentioned.

If you recall the video I posted where I shot a Model 60, 686, and M&P .45, I started that video with the Sig P250 and couldn't hit well enough with it, so I edited it out of the video. I actually shot better with the 2-1/8" Model 60 in DA than I could with the P250.

I'm just wondering if it's me, my particular P250, or if this is typical. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I shot my cousins new 9mm p250 compact extensively...she had trouble being accurate with the looooonnnnnggg trigger. She is a new shooter and it is her first gun. I picked it up and after acclimating to the trigger hit pretty much everything I aimed at. It took real concentration, and determination with that trigger, but it was typically Sig accurate.

#3 ·
Well that is encouraging, however I am very accustom to long DA triggers and right now, I'm not seeing the accuracy from the P250 I get from other DA guns. Yesterday, though, at the range, I thought I did better than I have been, so maybe with some more shooting...

#5 ·
You know, SIG came out with what promised to be a great product and they totally hosed it up with the long double action only trigger.

The whole gun and concept is revolutionary, but I got to tell you I absolutley HATE double action only guns.

They could have done much better. I actually looked at buying one,but that trigger is a total turnoff to me. It is not conducive to target shooting at all.

Now, looking at the trigger mechanism that just drops right in, if they made the traditional single/double that the rest of the Sigs have, I would get one. Until then....no P250 for me.
I like the idea of the twofer concept of having both a compact frame and a full sized frame. Although I would rather have two serparate Sigs, I could see where that concept might be a good thing for some people.

#15 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but originally I heard that SIG designed this for certain countries that will only allow someone to own a single firearm and the internal trigger component that snaps out from the frame is the 1 firearm. The frames are "accessories".

Something like that anyway.

#6 ·
I did a T&E for the Sig 250 a few years ago; I really didnt care for it much. I was not as accurate with it as I am with the 'classic' Sigs, but mainly wrote it off to me and not the gun. It could have been the gun, but I think it was the long trigger and my lack of trigger control over the long tough pull.

#7 ·
The thing with guns that have crappy trigger pulls is this...

The double action only guns(or the triggers that are so long they feel like DOA) are great for self defense. You clear the gun, you pull the trigger, you shoot until the threat ceases. Nothing worry about when it comes to the gun. At the ranges that most people are shot at, accuracy really isn't an issue. The sucker is usually close enough that you have to try to miss.

Sounds good right?

Now heres the real picture...

Billy Bob spends what he considers to be a small fortune for a gun that he researched until the wee hours of the night on the Internet, talked to several gun-shops and all of his gun toting buddies and came to the conclusions that SIG's are some of the finest handguns in the world. He watches the History channel and he see that SIGS are carried by NAVSPECWAR types, the FBI,CIA and other alphabet agencies so he figures if its good enough for them, its good enough for him.

So he goes to the gun-shop, spends his hard earned money and gets a P250 and he's happier than a fat hog in a wallow on a hot day. He calls up his best buddy to go to the range,tells him got a new gun to try out and being the buddy that he is, he agrees to go because he knows that when a buddy calls you up to try a new gun,that it is rude and unsociable, and downright UnAmerican to refuse, plus, he too is excited because he gets to shoot a new gun that he's read about, heard about and wondered about.

So they get out there, load up the gun and neither one of them can hit a B27 silhouette at 25 yards. Sure, they slop a few shots on it, but most of them are in the dirt and to the right, because of that ratty trigger with a trigger pull on it that seems like it takes 4 feet to bust off.

Whats that gonna do for their confidence? How is Billy Bob going to explain to his wife that he spent half a months wages on a pistol that he cant hit diddly squat with? What's he gonna think about SIG's now? Whats his buddy gonna think? The next day at work how bad will the name of SIG get trashed, because two good ole boys were disappointed in it because they considered themselves to be at least average shots, and they did OK with most pistols they ever touched?

So, they figure out that since 25 ain't workin, they'll drop back to 7 yards,while looking around and hoping no one sees them. They both proceed to shoot, making the common mistake of using way too much finger on the trigger which causes the gun to shoot low and to the right. At 7 yards, they are getting patterns that mimic buckshot at 20 yards, and they aren't happy
because clearly, this gun is whoopin their tails, and no man can live with that and still sleep.

By the end of the session, they have no confidence in the gun, they realize that they cant hit squat with it, yet Billy Bob has to carry it for self defense, because the only other thing he has is a Ruger .22 pistol that he's had since he was a kid, and no man with self respect would carry a .22 for self defense.

See what designing a gun with a terrible trigger does? There's alot more to it than just being a ratty trigger.

If experienced shooters like SIXTO and TANGLE have issues with it, how's the good ole boy that only shoots when he sights in his deer rifle in October going to do with it?

#8 ·
Guys, guys, this isn't a trigger problem. The P250's trigger isn't bad at all - it's long, like a revolver, but not heavy or gritty, and doesn't have noticable stacking. It's pretty much as good or better than a stock DA trigger on a revolver.

OTOH, many talk about how great a DA/SA trigger is and probably rarely, if ever shoot it in DA. Typically we go the to the range, load a mag, rack the slide, and presto SA. Even the few that decock that first shot, the rest are SA. Let's say a guy loads 15 rounds in a Sig 226 and decocks and fires the first shot DA. The next 14 are SA. I have an idea that's why people shoot 'so much better' with a DA/SA - they mostly shoot in SA, so when they go to a DAO, they are at a significant disadvantage.

But, to say that the P250 has a bad trigger because it is long is to say that DAO revolvers have a bad trigger as well, because they are every bit as long as the P250.

Then let's drop back to the DA/SA. We draw from the holster, pull a DA trigger of some 10-11 lbs, a long way and seem to think little of it. With the P250, you pull a DA trigger of almost half the pull weight of a DA/SA in DA, maybe just a bit further, but not much and some how it's a bad trigger.

C Hawk Glock,
With regard to:
"Look at some of my prior posts about the P250 and the DA trigger. I believe you even commented on them when I said that I just could not get really accurate past 7 yards."

There was a lot more to it than that. What we were talking about was a DA trigger. I'm shooting at a target 63 yards away and hitting like 2 out of 5 times with the P250, where with a 2-1/8" model 60 revolver I'd hit 4 out of 5 times in DA mode.

However, to baseline this, go to the range with any DA gun you can (besides the P250) and shoot DA only and see if you shoot any better with them than the P250. I think guys are acclimated to SA and when they have to shoot DA shots they can't hit. But, guess what the first shot out of the holster is gonna be from a DA/SA gun?

So this is not about the P250 DAO trigger; I'm fine by long DAO triggers, but I cannot hit with the same proficiency with the P250 that I can with other long trigger DAO guns. In fact, most DAO revolver triggers are probably the same pull length as the P250 and probably 2 - 4 pounds heavier.

#9 ·
In a nutshell, today the P250 was amazingly accurate.

Quite a surprise with the P250 at the range today - I hit everything in sight. But, rather than enumerate it (as I already had in this post), I'm going to just say this: I got everything out of the P250 today I could ask of any gun.

#10 ·
Yeah its a trigger problem. Long, long looonnnnng trigger pulls suck.

What you say is true with the DA/SA no doubt about it. You pop off the first round and the rest are single. That single action alone makes it a better shooter.
I had to train myself when qualifying to shoot the first shot double action rather than thumbing the hammer back, because in a duty situation I might not have time to think about it. Lots of training with Simunitions proved it.

With a long trigger it takes much practice to master. Sure, it can be done but how long will it take? I'd be willing to bet that most people don't have the time or patience to do it. While I have no doubt that you will Tangle, most people today that go out and buy one want instant gratification and most of them wont get it...escpecially the guy who buys it as his first gun.

Its the very reason that the Colt Government Model has such a cult following. When people figure out what a decent trigger really feels like, they pretty much ignore the rest of the stuff out there.

BTW,..which frame are you shooting? The full sized or the shorter frame made to conceal ?

#11 ·
Looks like we posted about the same time. The long trigger theory doesn't account for how I can hit a 15" dinger 63 yards away 5 for 5 repeatedly with a DA 686 revo when I have shot far, far more semis in SA.

How long? It took me about 200 rounds to get to where I was today. But I agree, for most that shoot SA mode 99% of the time with their DA/SA, they aren't gonna be able to do that. In fact, that raises justifiable concern that if they can't shoot well with a DA, how they gonna hit that first important shot out of the holster when it's DA?

Yesterday I shot an M&P and did no better with it than I did with the P250 today, in fact, I didn't shoot it as well.

I'm shooting the full size frame.

Let us not forget that Ernst Langdon took a Sig 220 ST and beat Rob Leatham and his tricked out 1911 in a national competition. That's the best shooting against the best. Given the best against the best, one would have to believe that the edge would go to Rob, but it didn't.

#16 ·
It's obvious you have a thing for DAO triggers and thats okay. I will say that you give the same amount of trigger time with each type of firearm DAO or DA Striker fired, 90% of most people will be more accurate with the latter. Why take more time in training to be as accurate? I think your first post on this thread may go with my theory, even an experienced shooter like yourself needs more trigger time to be equally as accurate with a P250

#12 ·
I knew you'd get it figured out. It's like anything else, its just whatever you get used to. You did it in 200 rounds, because you knew what you had to do. Most people dont. That's why I see a lot of used guns in the gun shops that have had only one or two boxes put through them.

When you are at the level of Leatham and Langdon,a small bauble at the draw is enough to win or lose and the difference between the winner and loser is often measured in hundtredth of seconds. Also at that level, I dont think the brand or make of gun is as important as the skill. The faster shooter in the world Bob Munden used a fairly standard revolver. With it, he can shoot and reload before most peope can empty a semi auto magazine.

Any how, you did good. Good report.

#13 ·
I recently bought a P250c in 9mm. I love the thing and the trigger IMO is great. It's very easy to stage and breaks nicely - no creep, no gritty feel, etc. I learned to shoot with revolvers, so I don't find it odd, weird or anything. What I love most about the gun is it's simplicity and how it feels. As for strange random groups, the first thing I'd look for is rifling burrs on the muzzle end of the barrel and would smooth everything out with a 3M gray scotch-brite pad.

#14 ·
Trigger Issues with 250

I own a P250 in 40SW and a P220 in 45 ACP. The 220 is SA/DA and of course the 250 being DAO. Maybe it is just me but I shoot both accurately at 25 yards (thats as far as my pistol range goes to). Yes the 250 has a longer pull but it is very smooth. I think it all has to do with the person handling the firearm. When I said accurately above, let me explain. I shoot VERY similar shot groups with both pistols out of 50 rounds most 90% are center mass on a B27 target within the X and 9 rings.
I believe it could be the shooter not the pistol. I believe in learning to shoot SA, DA and Striker fired all well. You may never know when you have to pick up any pistol and defend yourself. I have have no opinion on DA, SA or Striker fired. I like what is comfortable and fits me. I think Glocks are great pistols just don't own one because I have never found one to fit my hand. I know that there are those out there that like one over the other as far as actions and that is what is great about living in America.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.